Kukri fans - post here!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work with the Ghurkhas so have seen them use them for just about everything....apart from killing people (seen them kill goats though) but they are really handy at that as well! They do find it amusing though when foreigners go on about them and the myths that are made up about the kukri (like calling it a kuk) and people (non Ghurkhas) that think they are experts with it.Sometimes people can be patronising though and they're not keen on that.

tsssk tsssk Tez, there has to be non-Ghurkhas experts as well..... Somewhere... :p

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am being cautious, still contemplating whether or not I should get one for him and it will still be awhile yet, should I purchase one for him. Possible birthday gift in October.

It's not a bad tool to get him; you just have to make sure he understands that it's not the same as a hatchet or another knife. It's imperative that you never get your body in the path of the blade, because it's nearly impossible to keep the kukri's blade from cutting. The shape of the blade almost guarantees that the blade is drawn across the target, enabling powerful cutting. It's also got extra powerful chopping by it's weight and blade position.

tsssk tsssk Tez, there has to be non-Ghurkhas experts as well..... Somewhere... :p

There are a fair number of people skilled in at least one form of the use of the kukri; members of the ABA. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, because I know people who are truly experts, at least in that form. But there's no substitute for literally growing up working with it, carrying it, and using it in so many different ways, either.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Years ago the way I was trained to use this style of blade was to use it to modify my “boxing” mostly punching with the blade using both the forward motion and a drawing motion on the return and using footwork. Chopping was done with moderation and mostly for finishes and using both hands on blade (mostly defensive inside work) was also practiced. Slapping with the flat of the blade with a flick pulse of the wrist was effective and annoying. I still occasionally train with one but no longer carry one out camping or hiking as I prefer a shovel due mostly to versatility and weight issues.

Regards
Brian King

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody know where to get a decent kuk? I've been looking into purchasing one but I don't neccessarily want any of cold steel's offerings (although they are niiiiice).

i have a British military pattern issue kukuri that I really like. its not fancy and all but its solid and good quality really. has the broad arrow proof mark on it too. wood hilts and not horn, but solid and a good weapon all around. found it in a surplus store.
I have a bolo I was given by a friend that is a good weapon and tool as well.. I have one or the other with me for camping and in the trunk of the car ..

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the best suppliers of Khukuris that I know of is Himalayan-Imports.com

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a British military pattern issue kukuri that I really like. its not fancy and all but its solid and good quality really. has the broad arrow proof mark on it too. wood hilts and not horn, but solid and a good weapon all around. found it in a surplus store.
I have a bolo I was given by a friend that is a good weapon and tool as well.. I have one or the other with me for camping and in the trunk of the car ..

That's the kukri I have at home but in the club we have a 'posh' one! I have to tell you though while the Ghurkhas are very good with their weapons, don't ever get in the way when they are driving vehicles lol! they have a very interesting atittude to driving. :roflmao:

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I picked one up in a tourist trap in town. They imported a bunch of stuff from India, and I think this got tossed in the box before shipment, since it didn't fit with the other decorative stuff.

I didn't know about the history of it, I just really liked the feel. I've spent a few hours (days, weeks,) swinging machetes, and the forward weight felt cool in my hand.

It's not high-carbon steel, though, it's a step or two below spring steel, so I could never get it very sharp. But this one is long (about 18") with a think spine, so has a lot of momentum behind it.

I haven't tried chopping wood with it, although it seems ideal for it -- I just don't wanna mess with polishing it again!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I (my son actually) ended up purchasing a kukri from Kukri Palace and I am very impressed. It was shipped from Kathmandu, Nepal on 3/17 via DHL and was delivered to my desk today in Leesburg, Florida at noon. Of course he and I paid dearly for shipping, but I am still quite impressed and the craftsmanship is awesome!

He bought this one....

Now I want one! :(

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I (my son actually) ended up purchasing a kukri from Kukri Palace and I am very impressed. It was shipped from Kathmandu, Nepal on 3/17 via DHL and was delivered to my desk today in Leesburg, Florida at noon. Of course he and I paid dearly for shipping, but I am still quite impressed and the craftsmanship is awesome!

He bought this one....

Now I want one! :(

Shoot! Now I have to buy one.
icon9.gif

Of course when I get it I will look like this.
icon10.gif

I have a really nice one as well. Bought it a long, long, long time ago. (about eighteen years or so) Geniune issue and is simply sweet. Still it is time to get another one by the looks of your son's.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had the same khukri for 25 years and have been truly abusive to the thing. It's held up great and has never let me down. If I remember correctly I bought mine from Brigade QuarterMaster's around 1983 or so. Great blades once you get used to the feel of them and figure out the best way to employ them.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've considered learning to use a Kukri or Kama. I have a sickle sitting next to my bed and thought those two weapons would be the most analogous.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've considered learning to use a Kukri or Kama. I have a sickle sitting next to my bed and thought those two weapons would be the most analogous.
They're two very different weapons. Try some of the things people do with kama with a kukri and you'll stand a real good chance to be picking your fingers up off the floor -- if you're lucky. And neither is really the same as a European-style sickle or scythe, either.

Latest Discussions