Kukri fans - post here!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:)

My favorite fighter of all times (mainly because the tool stylistically fits my knife training background) is the custom 10' 1/2" Bagwell Bowie that I have. For the long blade, I am trained the best probably with the bolo. The Bagwell bowie is like a mini version of my bolo in many ways, and the fighting applications are very similar.

A close second favorite, however, would be the Kukri. I like the old kinds that come from the jungle and have been weathered to ****, but are still useful in the field. The weathered kind gives me a kind of imaginary nostalgia...more so then say the very useful Cold Steel Kukri, ya know?

Anyways, in some of my Burmese Bando training, the Kukri was a mainstay of the system. I really liked it's fat, hacking blade as a 'jungle fighter.' I think that in the right hands, this weapon can be as dangerous as any other sharp thing out there.

What do you guys think? Do any of you own or train with the weapon? What are some of its advantages? Disadvantages?

I'll post more on the subject probably after the holidays, but for now I would like to hear your thoughts...

:D

Paul Janulis

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry mine with me to every camp site I have ever visited. The truth of the matter is, like the bolo, the kuk is a tool that necessity made a weapon. In it's native land of Nepal, the kuk is used for everything from cutting wood, to digging holes, to clearing brush, to slaughtering small livestock. True to it's purpose, it is carried by the Gurkhas today as a tool first, much like the Marines carried a Ka-Bar. All that aside, it's value as a weapon is in it's stocky build and it's short form. The heft of the weapon makes it an ideal hacking blade, and it's robust girth make it durable against dituations that other blades might fail at, like cleaving bone. It's length make it valuable in environs like jungles, trenches and, oddly enough, boarding parties. This is for the same reason that bolos and cutlasses are short, they are harder to entangle in vines, brush, riggings or entrials. This is also a great limitation. The stature of the blade leaves it lacking in open field range based combat. In modern gun ruled battlefields this is less of a issue as blade use in open field combat is nil. Another limitation is that while it is possible to stab effectivly with a kuk, the blade shpe doesn't lend itself well to a very hard thrust. One final note is the lack of a guard, that can be sorely missed if a powerful thrust is delivered with an ill-prepared grip. My personal opinion, I LOVE MY KUKS, all 8 of them.

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anybody know where to get a decent kuk? I've been looking into purchasing one but I don't neccessarily want any of cold steel's offerings (although they are niiiiice).

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure that if you look at that sticky where I list almost every knife company out there, you'll find some Kukri's

However...here's some more... :ultracool

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/index.php

Also read how the Bishwakarmas make them out of springs from trucks...interesting.

Also Himilayan Mart...

http://www.himalayanmart.com/kukri/kukri.php

For a better quality one for a bigger dollar that'll probably last you for ever, try..

http://www.knifeware.com/kukriii.html

For a "tactical" Kuk that is pretty good quality, but not quite as expensive as Cold Steel, try the Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Combat Survival Kukri:

Info here:

http://www.specialopsknives.com/

Order here (no pic):
http://www.theknifestore.com/smith-ss7.html#2201

I personally like the imported ones from India, Pakistan, Burma, etc. Yes, they are cheaper (and alot of this is due to currency differences and living standards rather then quality), and the quality of steel is not going to be the same as some of your custom or production fixed blades from reputable knife companies. However, that is the beauty of it, IMHO. The Bishwakarmas who made these tools were very utilitarian, and used to use any kind of steel they could find; and this is still done today. Plus, one would be surprised as to how sharp one of these can get (even if made from scrap spring steel) if properly heat treated.

Anyways, have fun...

Paul

I

IMAA

I just recenlty got my first Kukuri knife and for Christmas I recieved one of Cold Steels Kukris. I absolutly love this knife. For only recently owning a kukri I can't understand why I never got one earlier. Its an awesome blade. I can't wait till spring time and I can put it to work...Now being the proud owner of 2 Kuks I forsee several more in the future...

CB

D

dohap

Yes, this blade is awesome and I'm the big fan of it.
Has anyone tried the "long" versions - i.e. yatagan - very popular in Turkey and Poland in 16th-17th century?

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I also like the Kukri for it's shearing power.But for actual possible combat use, stowed with my all out combat gear is a lightweight Junglee Short sword. Has a similar profile to a Kukri or more closely the ancient Spanish or Etruscan Falcata, it has a nice, pointy, sharp well-aligned stabbing point which works well with a #5 Kali strike too. The Kraton rubber handle is a big improvement and the blade is 15 inches. Comes RAZOR sharp, sharp enough to shave with in fact. This thing will take an arm or head off, really :)

Bagwells are great and I respect them, but this is a lightweight sword which has reach and heavy duty shearing power. I save my combat knife for a backup to the sword (My combat fixed knife is a Junglee Hattori Fighter) The short sword is my favorite non-firearm hand weapon and I would carry it crossdraw in any extreme field situation, as a point blank weapon, to be used in a very similar way to a Kukri.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
AC_Pilot said:
I also like the Kukri for it's shearing power.But for actual possible combat use, stowed with my all out combat gear is a lightweight Junglee Short sword. Has a similar profile to a Kukri or more closely the ancient Spanish or Etruscan Falcata, it has a nice, pointy, sharp well-aligned stabbing point which works well with a #5 Kali strike too. The Kraton rubber handle is a big improvement and the blade is 15 inches. Comes RAZOR sharp, sharp enough to shave with in fact. This thing will take an arm or head off, really :)

Bagwells are great and I respect them, but this is a lightweight sword which has reach and heavy duty shearing power. I save my combat knife for a backup to the sword (My combat fixed knife is a Junglee Hattori Fighter) The short sword is my favorite non-firearm hand weapon and I would carry it crossdraw in any extreme field situation, as a point blank weapon, to be used in a very similar way to a Kukri.

I'm a fan of the Junglee Hatori fighter.

I don't know if I have seen the Junglee short sword though. Got a link with a pic?

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dude, thats pretty high speed.

That Junglee short sword looks kinda cool - It looks like it integrates the clip point into a Kukri-like blade angle. I would have to do some test cuts before I could be "sold" on it though. Large Clip point blades like WWII Bolo's or Bowie's are almost polar opposites to Kukri's. Kukri's are efficient "hackers", while WWII bolo's and Bowie's are point fighters or "stabbers." I would wonder if integrating the two designs would make an efficient hacker AND point fighter, or if integrating the two designs would take away from the blades effeciency as either. I also wonder how the design would effect my "back-cut" or reverse cut that makes a large clip pointed blade so devistating. Well...if only I had a million bucks just to buy toy's to play with... this one would be on the list as I would be very interested to to see how this thing handles.

So perhaps you could elaborate more on how it handles, and what advantages you think the Junglee short sword would have over a straight bolo or bowie or Kukri design? Would you use it as more of a stabber, a slicer, a hacker, or all of the above?

Regardless, Junglee makes a nice product. The Green Beret looks like it would make a good all-around utility/fighter/secondary field knife. So for the link and intel I say thankya!

:)
Paul

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Paul,

The Junglee Short Sword in AUS 8 stainless is the best handling and most ergonomic "long" bladed weapon I own. It is a good combination weapon, and it's best asset aside from the shearing power is it's light weight. it has just enough heft to make it a very lethal weapon. I love it and as stated I have a zillion bladed weapons and have handled many more since I sell SOG, Ontario Knife, CRKT, and many other brands. The Junglee Short Sword handles like a cross between a well-designed machete and a lightweight, long kukri. I believe it is perfect for hacking type cuts and well as "cut and thrust" techniques due to that narrow clip point. With the near hollow grind it is one dangerous blade and would definitely take an arm off easily if used correctly. Or could be used to slash badly and then returned to thrust the torso..(Kali, say a sequence of #2 and #5 strikes) for me it's perfect. No comparison to my Ontario machetes, which are great tools, I have cut down small alders with these using multiple angled cuts(6-7 inch diameter trees, windfalls blocking one of my roads, no chainsaw handy) but they are not even close to be as suitable for combat as the Junglee. The Junglee could definitely be used as a machete as well, it's very sturdy, with a full tang. But you would rapidly lose that beautiful edge. The Falcata I mentioned was designed to SPLIT ther Roman helmet! This (JSS) is a lighter hi tech version of the Falcata, http://swordforum.com/swords/historical/falcata.html with a better stabbing point. I do wish it had the same hooked butt as the Falcata, but it's close enough :) Hope that helps.

PS, I also have and like the Junglee Panda Skinng axe.. it's quite a weapon in it's own right and has a gut hook for caping/gutting game, and a suitable shape to use it for skinning. It's lightweight, about half as heavy as my Cold Steel Rifleman's hawks, (which I have 4 of for fun, = throwing at tree butts) . I would use the Skinning axe or an Ontario Blackie Collins style machete (stowed in my pack) for field work and save my Hattori Fighter and Short Sword for possible point blank combat backup. If I was on a budget I would just have an Ontario machete, belt sheath and a good Stihl flat chainsaw file to keep it sharp ;)

Regards,
Steve

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son is completely fascinated with the Kukri. He has mentioned on several occasions that he wants a knife of his own. I am considering purchasing a Kukri for him to take camping and such. If I decide to purchase one, I do want to get one that can actually be used, not some wall hanger or some piece of garbage that will break after some use.

I was looking at Khukuri Palace and I was wondering if these were good or not. To me, they seem legit, but I don't know anything about the knives. In fact, I would like to have one too!

Anyway, I thought I would send this out and see if this site is good or if there are better ones elsewhere.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks reasonable to me, and the prices seem about right.

I'd be cautious about it, though, because the kukri is a very unique blade, and it's easy to hurt yourself if you aren't very careful.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work with the Ghurkhas so have seen them use them for just about everything....apart from killing people (seen them kill goats though) but they are really handy at that as well! They do find it amusing though when foreigners go on about them and the myths that are made up about the kukri (like calling it a kuk) and people (non Ghurkhas) that think they are experts with it.Sometimes people can be patronising though and they're not keen on that.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks reasonable to me, and the prices seem about right.

I'd be cautious about it, though, because the kukri is a very unique blade, and it's easy to hurt yourself if you aren't very careful.

Thanks for the advice. I am being cautious, still contemplating whether or not I should get one for him and it will still be awhile yet, should I purchase one for him. Possible birthday gift in October.