Kukkiwon Promotion Rules changes

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another update posted to the taekwondo subreddit.

Letter from USAT Bruce Harris to Kukkiwon • /r/taekwondo

So, as I predicted, this looks likely to result in less KKW certificates being issued and more schools splitting off from the KKW to join other orgs, or become independent.

I've discussed this with my Master and our Kwanjangnim, and they have confirmed that if these new policies are enacted, we will simply stop offering KKW certification. We're not going to add a bunch more expenses with no real benefit.

kickingme

White Belt
Reaction score
So with this new change.....as an instructor my question will be the cost to send a student to be in front of the said panel. Will the panel of these exams do this for the love of the art or will they get a few dollars for sitting on the panel. There are more ??? i am sure others have.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So with this new change.....as an instructor my question will be the cost to send a student to be in front of the said panel. Will the panel of these exams do this for the love of the art or will they get a few dollars for sitting on the panel. There are more ??? i am sure others have.
Or you can choose to get the qualifications necessary to promote beyond 2nd Dan.

I think this is a big change in places like the US, but in Korea we send our students to Kukkiwon even for 1st Dan. I am curious what repercussions they plan to enact for people who skirt the rules. There was some fairly strong language in the email I received regarding not following Kukkiwon regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or you can choose to get the qualifications necessary to promote beyond 2nd Dan.

The new proposed rules require a panel. I can't get qualifications as a panel. Bringing in a panel is going to add a huge expense for small schools.

I think this is a big change in places like the US, but in Korea we send our students to Kukkiwon even for 1st Dan.

While I think it would be awesome, I don't think we can reasonably expect our students to spend a few thousand dollars traveling to Korea.

I am curious what repercussions they plan to enact for people who skirt the rules.

There cannot be any, because the KKW has no real power. We don't need to skirt the rules. We will just say "Forget it, KKW, we're no longer going to offer KKW certification."

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If USA Taekwondo splits from Kukkiwon and sets up its own dan-issuing body here in the U.S., in the near term the loser will be Kukkiwon, since I'm confident USAT-issued dan certificates would be recognized for WTF tournaments. To my mind the bigger issue is how that affects the IOC's perception of taekwondo. Especially with karate making a bid for inclusion in the 2020 Olympics, this isn't a good time for taekwondo to appear divided.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The new proposed rules require a panel. I can't get qualifications as a panel. Bringing in a panel is going to add a huge expense for small schools.

While I think it would be awesome, I don't think we can reasonably expect our students to spend a few thousand dollars traveling to Korea.

There cannot be any, because the KKW has no real power. We don't need to skirt the rules. We will just say "Forget it, KKW, we're no longer going to offer KKW certification."
The email I received says masters who become "licensed testing examiners" can test and promote in their own locations.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The email I received says masters who become "licensed testing examiners" can test and promote in their own locations.

Have you shared the email you received? The original concept sent out from Kukkiwon was around arranging panels (Kukkiwon Promotion Test Committee) and 3rd Dan + would have to be sat by these panels.

I shared the PDF I was sent in the first post. The email copy itself said:

Dear Respectable Master in Europe

I hope this letter finds you in good health. This is Master Y.J. Na, in charge of the Europe division. First of all, I take this opportunity to appreciate your devotion to the promotion and development of KUKKIWON Taekwondo.

I’m so proud to introduce the new ‘KUKKIWON Project’ to promote KUKKIWON target business, including the KUKKIWON Poom·Dan Promotion test and vitalize the martial art Taekwondo to enhance business ability and build on your Taekwondo Do-Jang strongly.

As you know, it is no doubt that as the World Taekwondo headquarters, KUKKIWON is responsible for promoting and developing the standards of Taekwondo as a martial art, as opposed to the sport. This can only be done by the KUKKIWON taking a more pro-active role in promoting to higher Dan ranks, the world Taekwondo for future leaders.

As you can see the attachment file for ‘New KUKKIWON Global Project’, the KUKKIWON will try to Contract ‘MOU’ with ‘MNA’ or ‘Taekwondo Organization’ to settle down the systemized KUKKIWON Promotion Test system and other related matters. The main purpose of this project is to provide exact system of Poom·Dan Promotion Test under the name of the KUKKIWON Promotion Test Committee (KPTC).

As you may know the KUKKIWON will delegate the authority from the 3rd to 7th Dan promotion test to the appointed National Associations or Organizations which signed the MOU as the KUKKIWON Branch/Division. The Regular Promotion Test from 3rd up to 7th Dan will be organized (controlled) by its own KPTC or ETU KPTC by year 2016~2017 depend on the MNA status.

Of course, KUKKIWON Master (KMS Member) can still recommend for 1st and 2nd Dan certificate via KMS on-line system. However, in the near future, a Master who does not hold the ‘Qualification license for the KUKKIWON Promotion Test Examiner’ cannot be recommended even 1st and 2nd Dan certificate.

In order to vitalize the KUKKIWON Poom·Dan Promotion Test project and improve the value of Poom·Dan certificates through formulating Taekwondo Poom·Dan Promotion Test system we are preparing the Educational Course and Special Dan Promotion Test in Europe. I would like to inform you the schedules of the KUKKIWON Event in Europe in this year. Please see the below information. And I kindly propose your full cooperation on this matter. Please approach careful consideration of this proposal and your feedback. I really appreciate your interest and look forward to hearing you soon. Thank you for your hard work and our deep relationship. For more information please contact with International Department. Thank you for your positive cooperation in advance.

The entire event will be organized by KUKIWON, ETU and ‘KUKKIWON Germany’.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As of early next year, Kukkiwon master instructors won't be able to promote candidates to dan/poom rank without having taken a promotion test examiner course. And even when they do, they won't be able to promote above 2nd Dan without being part of a panel (invitation from the national Kukkiwon branch in their country).

There are three different classes of test examiners (this is as I understand it, it may not be 100% correct):
  • 3rd Class Examiner - Can promote up to 3rd Dan (as part of a national panel, if invited) or up to 2nd Dan as part of a dojang-panel, must have a minimum of 4th Dan Kukkiwon
  • 2nd Class Examiner- Can promote up to 6th Dan (as part of a national panel, if invited), must have a minimum of 6th Dan Kukkiwon and 3rd or 2nd Class Kukkiwon Master Instructor certificate
  • 1st Class Examiner- Can promote up to 7th Dan (as part of a national panel, if invited) and recommend for 8th Dan promotion to Kukkiwon, must have a minimum of 8th Dan Kukkiwon and 1st Class Master Instructor certificate
The reasoning for this is to increase the standard of Kukki-Taekwondo practitioners by ensuring all the test panel members are qualified. However, there are concerns that now people with many decades experience may as well rip up their high dan certificates, as now they are effectively as unqualified as a 1st dan in that they can teach but not promote anyone.

Thoughts on this new policy?

I've re-posted the original information provided.
According to what has been made public, these "licensed testing examiners" could only promote at their own dojang if they have enough 4th Dan (or higher) instructors at that dojang who have all taken the Super Special Instructor Class to learn the Super Secret Instructor Information (and handshake) that will, after a weekend, qualify them to promote their students. Because 20 years of training doesn't qualify you nearly as well as a pricey weekend seminar does.
So essentially, our KWN - a direct student of GM HWANG, Kee and then GM LEE, Kang Ik after the split, and a KKW 8th Dan - would not be able to promote someone to 1st Dan on his own recommendation. This is a man who has been promoting people to Dan ranks since at least 1961 (the oldest Dan certificate I've personally seen signed by him).
Sorry. That just seems absurd.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you shared the email you received? The original concept sent out from Kukkiwon was around arranging panels (Kukkiwon Promotion Test Committee) and 3rd Dan + would have to be sat by these panels.

I shared the PDF I was sent in the first post. The email copy itself said:
Haha. This is pretty funny now (to me). Upon closer inspection, the email I received is from "Kukkiwon America," which is apparently the newest org to attempt to handle Kukkiwon certification in the States. I thought the language was a bit strange. Here's the content of the message, which includes promotional material for a weekend seminar in Chicago in November (test examiners course/special promotion test, etc.).

DEAR KIND AND HONORABLE READER,

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS ARE TRUE:

With the authority and responsibility to maintain "global standards," the Kukkiwon is implementing regulations in the U.S. that are already successfully established in Korea and other countries.

The Kukkiwon policy does not change anything for the individuals testing for 1st and 2nd Dans. Individuals testing for 3rd through 7th Dans will need to be tested by a licensed Kukkiwon Test Examiner.

Masters and Grandmasters who want to certify their own students should know current Kukkiwon standards by becoming licensed Kukkiwon Test Examiners. They can then promote their own students at their own location and with their own schedule.

Regional Panels of Test Examiners will be set up in each state and will only need to be responsible for their own state.

The Kukkiwon has a very clear picture of dojang operations worldwide, and as a "base" for examinations, the Kukkiwon standard was created as a minimum and allow instructors to include their personal material.

Testing is supposed to be an "Examination," where the student is tested on the required material as articulated in the Kukkiwon rules. Those conducting the examination need to have command of the testing material and be trained in how to score the different elements of the examination, in order to render a fair and qualified opinion on the student's ability to meet a "specified" standard during the examination. Testing is not a "demonstration"; it is an examination. Testing is about the "student," not the audience.

The organization that was given the lead five years ago to assist the Kukkiwon with the regulations not only failed in their attempts, but their actions have delayed the standardization in the U.S., and they are now working to discredit the Kukkiwon.

To retain some semblance of order and presence for the Kukkiwon practitioners in America, MOU organizations were selected and were given the same opportunity, as was given to the WTMU, to assist in establishing the standards. Only the WTMU has fully invested the time, effort, and its resources, into helping the Kukkiwon here in America.

Bringing high standards and respect to Taekwondo, the Kukkiwon will continue to execute their federated strategy and regionalized examination panels with an inclusive mindset, so all Taekwondo practitioners in America have access to the Kukkiwon.

The Kukkiwon urges all Taekwondo masters to come into compliance with existing policies of the Kukkiwon. Active resistance to adopting the Kukkiwon test policies will not be tolerated.

Respectfully,

KH Kim, 9th Dan Kukkiwon

World Taekwondo Masters Union

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. There's nothing arrogant, high handed or insulting in that.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reading through these again, I'm unclear on the examiner "panels". I'm not seeing where it explicitly says that high-dan tests will be performed in front of panels. One could also read this as: if you run a school and you're not a certified Test Examiner, there will be a panel of such examiners in your state where you can go to borrow one. Is this just saying that you can performed your high-dan test in front of a lone examiner as long as he's been certified?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates, Jim. USAT breaking off from Kukkiwon would be a huge development.

We got that same "Kukkiwon America" e-mail that Jaeimseu got, but gmail thought it was spam, hahah, so I just saw it a couple days ago. The Chicago examiner's course is too last-minute, we've already got something going on that weekend. There's another in January in LA, but going to that one will cost us about $1500 in travel expenses, plus whatever the cost of the course is, which isn't disclosed. I really don't know how we can afford to do that.

I'm not totally opposed to this kind of move in theory, but the way they're implementing it is really, really terrible. There's no transparency or communication with, it seems, much of anyone, and everything seems rushed and just thrown together. Why did Kukkiwon pick some group no one's heard of, instead of USAT, which already has a relationship with both Kukkiwon and American schools, and has experience putting on dan tests and trainings? That makes no sense.

Also, and this is pretty important - has Kukkiwon even announced specifically when the changeover is going to happen and we'll no longer be able to do the promotion ourselves without this course? They said the changeover would be next year, but does that mean January or December? I can't believe that Kukkiwon hasn't sent out a notice to schools or even put on their KMS page the exact date when people will stop being able to go on the KMS site and certify people.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha. This is pretty funny now (to me). Upon closer inspection, the email I received is from "Kukkiwon America," which is apparently the newest org to attempt to handle Kukkiwon certification in the States. I thought the language was a bit strange. Here's the content of the message, which includes promotional material for a weekend seminar in Chicago in November (test examiners course/special promotion test, etc.)

May I ask...what is the date of that email? The head of my school says he hasn't seen it, which means it's probably in his spam folder.

Along the same lines of what WaterGal said...email???? You'd think it would be sent in email, sent again as a written document, posted to a WTMU website (not that WTMU seems to have a website), sent again with updates as a follow-up email, etc. Even if a person agrees with the policy, the way it's communicated is very casual.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
May I ask...what is the date of that email? The head of my school says he hasn't seen it, which means it's probably in his spam folder.

Along the same lines of what WaterGal said...email???? You'd think it would be sent in email, sent again as a written document, posted to a WTMU website (not that WTMU seems to have a website), sent again with updates as a follow-up email, etc. Even if a person agrees with the policy, the way it's communicated is very casual.
I received that email October 24. I got another one in September announcing their website launch (kukkiwoninfo.org).

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, they really should have sent out letters informing schools of what's going on. It's not like Kukkiwon doesn't have the addresses of the schools that are promoting people, they could give that info to WMTU. Heck, when KKW sends out dan/poom certs, they could put a letter in the envelope with it.

I'd like to have gotten is a letter or packet listing:
- what, specifically, these changes entail
- when, specifically, it goes into effect
- a rough idea of where the examiner classes will be held and when (even without exact dates or addresses, something like "May/June 2016 - Denver, July/August - NYC" would be a big help)
- who to contact to get more information

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just heard from the ETU, I've been accepted on to the course next Friday. I'll keep a diary of it and post it publicly afterwards.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can you let us know what they say about when the new policy is going into effect? I need to know what the deadline is for promoting people to 3rd dan without doing the course. That way, we can decide whether Mr WaterGal needs to fly out to LA in January to do the course then, which will be very expensive and mean we need to raise our testing fees, or if we have time to wait for one that's closer by.

Latest Discussions