Kukkiwon pending

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
off topic. maybe we should make a new thread for people that want to give me a hard time. Daniel, want to start it??

LOL

I'm practicing to a lawyer in my next life...I figured you are as good of person as any to on...ha.ha.ha.

Understand TF that I have no animosity or ill will in my questions. I understand where you are coming from.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps I should reword my statement. A great fighter can fight under any conditions.

Still wrong in my humble opinion. I might be a fantastic boxer but would still have little chance against a master swordsman. And what about combat versus multiple attackers? A grappler likely would fare less well against multiple opponents than a striker who understands perimeter defense and how to minimize exposure to more than 1 attacker at any given point. Take the analogy bigger. Have you ever wondered why the US has a navy, air force, army, and marines?

Fighting and combat are all about CONTEXT. Given the limited time in the day, I choose to focus on self-defense and that's all I teach. I don't pretend to be qualified to teach someone to perform well in tournament situations, and in turn, I'd be quite bemused by someone trained exclusively in Olympic rules TKD but yet thinks he has the street application side covered.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Still wrong in my humble opinion. I might be a fantastic boxer but would still have little chance against a master swordsman....
I am referring to sport fights only. Didn't think I had to elaborate further. If so it would be like this:

A great fighter can fight under any sport conditions as long as the sport is not one where he is boxer being pitted against a Marine sharp shooter stading 100 yards away while a traditional thai boxer, who has dipped their handwraps in glass,is allowed to punch each him in the face, where by appeasing an ancient god of war who will throw a ligtning bolt up his bung hole at 30 paces facing due north in 30 mile an hour winds, as midgets take turns kicking him in the testicles while singing a remix of the oompa loompa song and we are the lolipop gang.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just courious.. how many of you have skipped dans?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you say you train fighters and martial artists isn't that redundant? Are you saying WTF fighters are not martial artists due to the way they fight in a tournament?
I am not Twin Fist, but I do not believe that he is saying this at all. WTF rules are not a martial art but a rule set, just as Queensbury rules are not boxing in and of themselves, but a ruleset. That rule set governs a martial sport. Keep in mind that the WTF is a sport regulatory body, not an MA organization. They regulate the sport of taekwondo.

A taekwondo practitioner may go and compete in a WTF tournament. Within the context of the tournament, he or she is applying things that they have learned as a martial artist in the context of being an athlete competing in the WTF ruleset.

I think that is should be fairly clear that TF despises WTF rules. I have no clue what he thinks of Taegeuk poomsae, though I do recall that he teaches Koryo.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
off topic. maybe we should make a new thread for people that want to give me a hard time. Daniel, want to start it??

LOL
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I believe that you and I would likely find ourselves on the same page most of the time.

Our main point of divergence is that I feel that WTF rules have merit within a certain context (development of kicks and just plain fun) and that the Kukkiwon serves a beneficial purpose, though I am completely with you regarding the historical rewrite issue.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am referring to sport fights only. Didn't think I had to elaborate further. If so it would be like this:

Oh, so you think a Olympic TKD fighter can go directly into the UFC without more training?

As I said above, you get good at what you train at, and that's true for sport fighting or in real life. Back to my contention: if you really want to be effective on the street, best to spend a lot of time practicing precisely for that scenario.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, so you think a Olympic TKD fighter can go directly into the UFC without more training?

As I said above, you get good at what you train at, and that's true for sport fighting or in real life. Back to my contention: if you really want to be effective on the street, best to spend a lot of time practicing precisely for that scenario.

Didn't say that at all. I said a good fighter can fight under any conditions. Didn't say they could win nor did I say they could do untrained. I just said they could do it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just courious.. how many of you have skipped dans?
I have not. A friend suggested that I look into the Vegas test when it was first announced, given how long I have been practicing, but I did not feel that it was necessary or appropriate for myself. My circumstances did not involve any underhanded certifications or dojo politics; just my life being very crazy outside of martial arts.

Daniel

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have not. A friend suggested that I look into the Vegas test when it was first announced, given how long I have been practicing, but I did not feel that it was necessary or appropriate for myself. My circumstances did not involve any underhanded certifications or dojo politics; just my life being very crazy outside of martial arts.

Daniel
Whoa there...there is such a thing as life outside of martial arts? Now I know you are jesting.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whoa there...there is such a thing as life outside of martial arts? Now I know you are jesting.
Nope. I wound up in a marriage with two kids in which my ex had no interest in the kids. Hence, I spent pretty much all of my time parenting and working. I practiced my kata and poked things with a foil, and thankfully had two SCA buddies who were happy to fence with me in the back yard while the kids slept. It was not until my kids were older that I was able to finally start persuing personal interests aside from my kids.

No regrets mind you, just the way that life went.

Daniel

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the latest is he is trying to get alot of folks together for the law suite to have some merit, please be prepared if youare going to test. So many people think because they pay they past what is wrong here folks?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i guess after awhile you probably have gotten use to it!