Kukkiwon pending

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i dont encourage my students to compete at all, and if they wanted to compete, I DAMN sure wouldnt take them to a WTF style event.

it would be a waste of time, since everyone of them would get DQ'd for excessive contact and punching people in the face.......

I didn't know that you could punch to the face in poomsae competiton!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you know... I was pleased ( if that's the respectful word) that KKW didin't pass very one. I was kind of disappointed with the whole thing on the first day. I felt it all of these people pass then why did I work so hard to get here. I also heard that some didn't get the rank that they tested for and they hold USAT to blame. which I don't understand ether.

Perhaps it is a "I paid for a 6th dan test and only received my 5th dan" situation so they feel jilted out of money. My opinoin is simple...If you tested for 6th, but you were only as good as a 5th. Then you failed the test and better luck next time. No middle ground.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont encourage my students to compete at all, and if they wanted to compete, I DAMN sure wouldnt take them to a WTF style event.

it would be a waste of time, since everyone of them would get DQ'd for excessive contact and punching people in the face.......

Sounds like they should go to a Kaju tourny then.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Firstly, I appreciate you responding.

Still not clear; did he simply never tell you the difference between a dojo dan and a KKW dan or did he actually lie and tell you that you had an organizational rank?

My instructor is a Korean Grandmaster... He is also KKW.

I never knew anything more then inside the school up to 2nd Dan. I beleave the org was national. Okay, maybe I'm a fool but if you as 90% of people they would think the same thing!
Certainly would not think you a fool. It was many years before I ever figured out that there was more than one org per art, and the idea that a school would be independent of these orgs never even occurred to me. It was not until I started taking taekwondo at Jae Kim's Karate that I figured out that Jhoon Rhee and Jae Kim were not affiliated and that taekwondo was actually a distinct animal from Japanese karatedo. It was not until I saw the karate kid that realized that karate could have come from anywhere but Japan, lol.

When I did ask things were said like it costs alot or you really don't need it anyway.
That would drive me nuts.

When I was finally making enough where the price of certian thing were no longer a big deal ( 2 kids , wife car & house payment) I was already a fifth under him. All I could get was a skip to second. Yes I was told I could fly to the Kukkiwon and test there but now I have a school 100 plus student , i'm the only instructor.... so i wrote letters and made calls.. still only a skip. then I found the information about the Vegas test. I think there are alot of people that are or were in my shoes.
Yuck. As Terry and others had said on his original thread about this, the Vegas test may have been an opportunity to redress some past wrongs.

Thank you for clarifying!

Daniel

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess my question is this, if they are such bad *** fighters, why can't you teach them to adapt to a different set of rules for the competition? A great fighter can win under any conditions.

sure, they could, but I would have to bastardize my art, and I aint gonna do that, plus I wont cripple my students by turning them into flippy kicking, hands down, fall over when you kick, head WIDE open, jokes. I train fighters and martial artists.

Not kickboxers who cant punch.

plus, hogus are for wussies:rolleyes:

Hey, i said MOST of my hate and contempt was reserved for the WTF.:wink:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess my question is this, if they are such bad *** fighters, why can't you teach them to adapt to a different set of rules for the competition? A great fighter can win under any conditions.

I disagree strongly. If you want to perform well in point sparring, you train for point sparring. Same for Olympic rules, same for street application. You may think some elements like timing might overlap, but IMO they are different also since you inevitably aim for different targets with different weapons given the rule set at hand.

If time after time, you train to strike the neck or throat with a sword hand, wouldn't that technique come out inevitably when you are under duress? Unless of course, mentally you are not under stress when competing in a tournament.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score

4th Dan-American Tae Kwon Do
Hogu are for Wussies

What are you going to kick kittens next!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess my question is this, if they are such bad *** fighters, why can't you teach them to adapt to a different set of rules for the competition?
He can certainly inform them of such rules is he wished to, but that would not be enough. As he does not teach it, he is not familiar with the peculiarities of WTF kyorugi. Students who wish to do that would be better served going to a coach who could help them translate their skills to that particular ruleset.

A great fighter can win under any conditions.
I do not fully agree with this as it relates to competition. Yes, a great fighter can win, but in order to do so, they need to be well prepared for the arena and rules set. I am a pretty good fighter and at forty two, am amply skilled in WTF style, but in no way could my GM prepare me to compete in, say, an MMA competition. While he could teach me the general techniques needed, he is unfamiliar with the rules and specific skill set.

Daniel

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Off topic... that pic was from google not my students. Anyway is that you doing that crane form on you tube?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sure, they could, but I would have to bastardize my art, and I aint gonna do that, plus I wont cripple my students by turning them into flippy kicking, hands down, fall over when you kick, head WIDE open, jokes. I train fighters and martial artists.

Not kickboxers who cant punch.

plus, hogus are for wussies:rolleyes:

Hey, i said MOST of my hate and contempt was reserved for the WTF.:wink:

Why bastardize your art? What does one have to do with the other? All you are doing is just teaching them different rules for a different contest. Again, if they have the type of kicking power that you are claiming then they could blast their opponents and knock them out. It is legal.

When you say you train fighters and martial artists isn't that redundant? Are you saying WTF fighters are not martial artists due to the way they fight in a tournament?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I disagree strongly. If you want to perform well in point sparring, you train for point sparring. Same for Olympic rules, same for street application. You may think some elements like timing might overlap, but IMO they are different also since you inevitably aim for different targets with different weapons given the rule set at hand.

If time after time, you train to strike the neck or throat with a sword hand, wouldn't that technique come out inevitably when you are under duress? Unless of course, mentally you are not under stress when competing in a tournament.

Perhaps I should reword my statement. A great fighter can fight under any conditions.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
twin fist is a drive byposter... posts crap and goes anyway...

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Go figure I'm a green belt now.. and I didn't have to punch anyone in the face. thank you MA talk

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There have been many good fighters who have switched from set of rules to another without problems. Arlene Limas and Juan Moreno come to mind as point fighters (who trained to hit in the face) who were able to move into WTF sparring with no problems.

Latest Discussions