Kukkiwon demo team: the local timber industry is feeling better already

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I taught and trained with a couple former members of the Kukkiwon demo team for nearly a decade in Korea. Lack of kicking power is not a problem for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do / did you define or determine "Kicking Power".

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m basing it on observation and being hit by them.

Observation of???

For instance breaking X # standard lumber yard "1 x 12" 10-12" wide boards with technique Y would be an objective type of observation.
I’m basing it on observation and being hit by them.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
.. kicks can be observed to be powerful. You don't need to have a concrete objective measurement or mathematical number or formula for that ;)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Observation of???

For instance breaking X # standard lumber yard "1 x 12" 10-12" wide boards with technique Y would be an objective type of observation.

A bit grumpy about this aren't you Mr. Weiss? After all, it is just what it is, a demo of great gymnastic ability with kicks thrown in to make it look more martial. I thought it impressive as that. Kicking and breaking a 1" or 2" wooden board would be possible at those heights but would be more difficult due to the resistance of the wood, and more prone to unbalancing the kickers. I understand it isn't breaking multiple oak boards with one kick, but .....

Would you have preferred if they had someone as an opponent riding a horse, holding a spear or wielding a sword while standing on the saddle? :D :p

And at my age I sure wouldn't want to drop from those heights.

Not meaning to be confrontational sir. I just thought it was a fun demo, and had no doubt about Kukkiwon Demo Team members being able to deliver powerful kicks if that was what they wanted to demo. You feel different, and I respect your opinions as I always have.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Observation of???

In my experience, that type of breaking is very uncommon in Korea. I observed them kicking targets and people and watched their technique. The former team members I’ve taught and trained with were at such a high level that it’s difficult to compare them to normal human beings. Having trained in the US before living in Korea, I’ve had plenty of experience doing the type of breaking you refer to. In my opinion, they are more than capable of performing breaks that are more standard in the US. They generally are more interested in pushing the limits of athleticism, however.

OP
M

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Observation of???

I can observe by holding a kicking shield for teammates who has really powerful kicks and who doesn't. I can't numerically quantify it, but I can certainly observe it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
When it comes to "Specialty" type breaks observing the athleticism involved is certainly a worthwhile endeavor. For example jumping X Height, or over Y distance or multiple targets to show accuracy. Observations as to power are subjective but can be more objective with stipulated techniques and materials and it is definitely quantifiable as such. That is why some competitions offer separate specialty and power competitions. Totally TKD had an article where power was quantified vis a vis the number of boards and the formula for determining increase needed for each additional board. A fist was cast from lead and force gauges used for comparison. So, as with many demos the athleticism is something to behold. This does not address the desire to experience firsthand the force needed for the break.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Frankly, if a person can manage to do, like, a 540 kick over someone's head or whatever, these kind of crazy stunts, I wouldn't be too concerned about their ability to generate enough power to break a 1" pine board with a side kick or palm strike or whatever. A person with the strength, persistence and stamina to do the former could easily learn to the latter in probably about 5 minutes.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Frankly, if a person can manage to do, like, a 540 kick over someone's head or whatever, these kind of crazy stunts, I wouldn't be too concerned about their ability to generate enough power to break a 1" pine board with a side kick or palm strike or whatever. A person with the strength, persistence and stamina to do the former could easily learn to the latter in probably about 5 minutes.

Breaking a single 1" pine board with side kick or palm strike is a green belt technique. Been many a tlak show where the non Martial Artist host was taught to break a single board with nominal instruction.

I submit that it is much more impressive to see someone jump in the air and kick 3 separate targets with a single foot, or even 2 feet and break all targets of standard boards before landing as opposed to the same technique with whatever is used for lots of demos.

Derrick waddell

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking for the board holder things everywhere! Anyone know where I can find them?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Not exact what I'm looking for- I'm looking more for the ones the demo team has like in the video of the first post on this thread....
If you mean the plastic pipe and clip type, they make their own.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Not exact what I'm looking for- I'm looking more for the ones the demo team has like in the video of the first post on this thread....

The pipe and clip things used to hold the wafer boards? Make them. Given how little impact they have to hold up to, you could easily make them with hand tools.

Latest Discussions