Kuk Sool Won

OP
K

KukSool-Alex

yea kuk sool doesnt have alot of schools around north america
the only ones in canada are Sault Ste. Marie....Routn-Noranda...Calgary...and Vancouver

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by KukSool-Alex
yea kuk sool doesnt have alot of schools around north america
the only ones in canada are Sault Ste. Marie....Routn-Noranda...Calgary...and Vancouver

Maybe they will make it down to Eastern Canada some day (one can only hope):idunno:

OP
K

KukSool-Alex

what you might want to think about doing is seeing if you can find about 10 people that are interested in doing it...go to www.kuksool.com and send a email in and tell them your information that you have 10 people that are interested and see if soembody can come up and do a demonstration and maybe open a school

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by KukSool-Alex
what you might want to think about doing is seeing if you can find about 10 people that are interested in doing it...go to www.kuksool.com and send a email in and tell them your information that you have 10 people that are interested and see if soembody can come up and do a demonstration and maybe open a school

I'm going to check that out, thanks Alex. I'll let you know how it works out.:)

OP
K

KukSool-Alex

no prob and if you have any questions for me post it up or pm me

kuksoolsteve

White Belt
Reaction score
yes thats basically it, i remember when master darren hart demanstrated a clothing technique on me, once he had my hand tied up in his uniform he just let go and started walking off, nearly breaking my wrist and dragging me round the dojang while he was talking! it was controlled and was funny to everyone watching

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would love to study Kuk Sool Won but where I live it's not offered.:(

Same here. :(

I've looked into studying it before and found where my nearest KSW school is but sadly it's still too far away.

There's not that many KSW schools in the UK and most of them are on the south coast or up in Scotland - too far away from me! Even my nearest Kuk Sool Won school (in Boston, Lincolnshire) is a good 2 hour drive away, something that's just not practical for me to be able to get to for regular training. :(

IslandCrow

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Alex. I've studied Kuk Sool for awhile. I was surprised to hear there's no school in Dallas. Would Abilene be too far to go from time to time? SBN Phil Sage has a school out there. He's an amazing instructor. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be heading out there for a few months, and I'm really psyched about getting to study with him again. Here's a link to his school's website. Even if you're not interested in training there, it's a pretty cool website: http://www.abilenemartialartcenter.com/AMAC/Home.html

well actually i was told that 8-10 years is the norm for the black belt, but then again i bet it all has to do with the teacher. My teacher on the other hand studied at Purdue, and it took him a good time to get a black belt, me other teacher it took im i think 7 years before he got his and he said that he worked his butt off to get there in only 7 years. But we will see, i do enjoy kuk sool, but the art i am going to start taking after kuk sool, rather at the same time as kuk sool is muai tai, very good art, lots of fun. and i have aquestion. In the wrist techniques, i have probles when doing the move holding the wrist in the lock, as in in number two when you go behind the back its pretty easy for them to pull away from me no matter how fast i do it (and this is also my roomate which has no ma background) HELP!

As for the wrist techniques, the lock is often times the key. Sometimes (like in Ki Bon Soo #2 & 4), it's not just the wrist you're concerned about locking, but the other parts of or the entire arm. It's always much tougher to explain than show, but for KBS #2, get a good hold of the meaty part of the palm by the pinky with your four fingers, and get your thumb in the V between your opponent's thumb and forefinger. Be sure not to grab the your opponents wrist, or you won't be able to bend it enough to get a good lock. If you get a good grab on the hand and keep a good wrist lock, your opponent will lose most of his mobility in that arm and can't fight back much at all. If your opponents hand is a lot bigger than yours, try just grabbing his four fingers and crush them together in your hand. It's not quite as effective, but it can work if you have smaller hands.

Or, put more simply. . .it takes practice.