KT:Yukiyoshi Takamura Quote

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Yukiyoshi Takamura Quote
By Blackcatbonz - Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:21:18 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Yukiyoshi Takamura taught an art called Takamura-Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu.

I often explain to people that the art I study is a collection of concepts and principles, rather than a collection of techniques.

Takamura Sensei does a great job of explaining this idea.....This is an excerpt from an interview by Stanley Pranin.

Clicking on the Question in the quote will take you to the article.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Quote:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How did you come to reorganize the traditional curriculum of Shindo Yoshin-ryu? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That is a very complex question. Let me see if I can explain it clearly. Any martial art is really a set of concepts and ideas. Physical techniques are important but not the defining elements of a style. I have heard some people say that this is not true, that they have secret techniques. So what! I bet another style has techniques that are similar to their ?secret techniques.? I would guess that what they actually have is more correctly described as secret concepts. All jujutsu traditions do similar joint locks because the joints in all human beings operate in the same way. There really are no new joint locks. It?s how they perform the locks that differentiate the styles. The concepts used in the application of the locks are what are important. These aspects are what make one tradition different from another. They are often the okuden.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When I came to America I discovered that many traditional techniques were simply not applicable to the realities facing my new students. Jujutsu techniques in their original form were not intended to address these modern situations. When I first started teaching, students began to ask me how I would deal with a boxer, or with a karateka and so on. At first I was surprised because I was not sure that I had the answers. I had to carefully examine this. I realized that the answers were right in front of me. I was busy focusing on jujutsu techniques when it was jujutsu concepts that were the solution. Techniques did not matter because they were guided by concepts. New techniques could be devised to address new realities while embracing the time honored concepts that form the art?s core. This would not be abandoning the art. This would allow the art to maintain its effectiveness and relevance to a new generation and era.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions