<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Windmill Guard
By HKphooey - 07-19-2010 09:07 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Old post I made on MT back in 2006...
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40034

Let's discuss Windmill Guard. I have always loved this technique. I will post the basics of the technique. I am sure there are many variations...

Windmill Guard
Attack: Straight Right Punch

• Start with feet together.
  • Opponent throws a straight right punch.
  • Step left foot to about 10:30 (or to a 45 angle) as you left inward parry the the punch.
  • Right hand moves into check groin area and continues into a clockwise motion up to the attacker's arm.
  • Replace the left parry with a right wrist grab (right parry into a grab).
  • Pull right wrist grab towards your side as you deliver a right roundhouse to the groin, stomach or attaker's knee.
  • Plant right kick back to point of origin.
  • Keep left hand in check position near the attacker's lead shoulder (incase wirst grab is released).
  • Not part of the original technique, but I like to follow up with an armbar, bringing the attacker to the ground.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Windmill Guard
By HKphooey - 07-19-2010 09:07 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Old post I made on MT back in 2006...
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40034

Let's discuss Windmill Guard. I have always loved this technique. I will post the basics of the technique. I am sure there are many variations...

Windmill Guard
Attack: Straight Right Punch

• Start with feet together.
  • Opponent throws a straight right punch.
  • Step left foot to about 10:30 (or to a 45 angle) as you left inward parry the the punch.
  • Right hand moves into check groin area and continues into a clockwise motion up to the attacker's arm.
  • Replace the left parry with a right wrist grab (right parry into a grab).
  • Pull right wrist grab towards your side as you deliver a right roundhouse to the groin, stomach or attaker's knee.
  • Plant right kick back to point of origin.
  • Keep left hand in check position near the attacker's lead shoulder (incase wirst grab is released).
  • Not part of the original technique, but I like to follow up with an armbar, bringing the attacker to the ground.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

We practice this in my Isshin-Ryu dojo, but it's not called that. We also have variations on it.

The left hand response to the right punch is a sweeping motion generally, to move the attacker off-center to the defender's right. The defender's left hand can be used in a variety of ways after clearing that clockwise motion you describe.

For example, we use a middle-body open-handed block to simply continue the opponent's movement, then punch middle-body with the left to the opponent's open back-right-midsection (kidneys, etc).

Or grab the opponent's right hand with the defender's right and pull straight down to the obi, followed by a squat kick as you described.

Or, wrap the opponent's right arm with the defender's right and bend the opponent's elbow; make a 90 degree and then apply a shuto strike with the defender's left knife-edge hand to the exposed underside of the opponent's right bicep/tricep, rolling while stepping in to bring the attacker to the ground face first. In this move, you end up on the opponent's back with their right arm bent at a 90 degree behind their back.

Same as the squat kick, but instead of delivering it to the mid-section, step straight ahead (past opponent, since you stepped out on a 46 degree angle) with your right foot, chamber a kick, but apply it as a reverse (ax-type) kick to the inside of the opponent's calf muscle or alternatively, apply a blade-edge of foot kick to the inside of the opponent's knee.

This, to us, is one of our basic self-defense techniques (applied as you originally described) that is built into several of our kata (Wansu for example) and our basic upper-body exercise, 'tegata barai, nukite' with slight modifications.

It's a great exercise, and you can apply with the same technique whether the opponent shoots a left or a right; even responding with the same side and not changing to match their change. The main difference is that if they shoot a left, you don't need the initial sweep to clear from your own left. Just apply the right open-hand block, lock up the arm, and then apply your own technique, be it a kick, punch, or joint-lock takedown.

Thanks! Glad to know some moves have so much similarity in them!

Latest Discussions