KT:Which techniques would you choose?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Which techniques would you choose?
By BJTipton - 11-14-2010 09:51 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

The thread about the handicap of techniques ( http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/showt...ense-Technique) got me thinking. If you had to choose 15-20 self defense techniques to base your system on, which ones would you pick?

I honestly think a student at a beginning level is better off with about 15-20 techniques and some skill sets. I am a huge fan of the Argument of Movement and choose that as my skill set base.

I believe a student needs to learn how to learn techniques. Take the base techniques as it is taught. After you have memorized it do it against different attacks. Look for things like locks, takedowns, and throws. See how it works against multiple opponents.

Once a student learns how to learn techniques, then they are ready for the rest of the hundreds of techniques we have to offer. I love every technique. Every technique has a lesson that no other technique has. I do think students get caught up in memorizing techniques versus learning them. Again, I believe a beginning student is better of with fewer techniques that they can make work and some skill sets.

So again, my question is, if you had to choose 15-20 self defense techniques to base your system on, which ones would you pick?

Brandon Tipton

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not going to go into 15 different techniques but would just like to add that I agree with this idea. I teach about that many in a basic self defense course, but then focus on instinctive training. I don't think it is about the techniques so much, as long as the the student is armed with enough to do something as compared to nothing.

Latest Discussions