KT:what makes bad/good kenpo

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
what makes bad/good kenpo
By AkdmkZ - Tue, 20 May 2008 07:50:58 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

So we always hear of the phrase/seen bad Kenpo. what makes kenpo bad, or GOOD for that matter? what is it that we as Kenpoists look for when we are watching others' Kenpo? When I say kenpo, I primarily speak of the Ed Parker system :)

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score

====================

So we always hear of the phrase/seen bad Kenpo. what makes kenpo bad, or GOOD for that matter? what is it that we as Kenpoists look for when we are watching others' Kenpo? When I say kenpo, I primarily speak of the Ed Parker system :)

Read More...

wow ill be very impressed if someone has enough time to be able to answer that in text

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the person doing it, what else would it be, i mean you can talk about all the ******** thats gos along with it, but why???:idunno: good kenpo/or bad kenpo is up to the person.:idea:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the person doing it, what else would it be, i mean you can talk about all the ******** thats gos along with it, but why???:idunno: good kenpo/or bad kenpo is up to the person.:idea:
very good point, i once heard someone say there arent any bad martial arts just bad martial artists

Reactions: Doc

irongorilla

White Belt
Reaction score
In my very humble opinion the answer is BASICS , how many times have I stood besides someone wile watching kenpo and heard .. something looks ..wrong. Get the basics correct and the rest will follow.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
====================

Read More...

If it works its good. :)

irongorilla

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree totally..kenpo as with ANY martial art is down to the individuals interpretation.

But have you ever heard some music and the notes seem slightly out , I think that with kenpo I look for body alignment .. correct posture .. good stances.. i know this sounds like a cop out but I think that basics are what make any martial art.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
.. i know this sounds like a cop out but I think that basics are what make any martial art.

Doesn't sound like a cop out to me. I don't know much about Kenpo, but I am a firm believe that it all comes down to having solid basics.

My TKD instructor buddy has a saying,

"Flash without basics is trash" or something like that.

SifuJohnson

White Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it there are three basic types of schools. There are competitive schools that chase points, trophies and titles, there are academic schools that teach a very rigid curriculum rooted in specific techniques, and then there are combat schools that explore all aspects of kenpo as a fighting science. I like to think that the combat schools are probably the best representative of what I call good kenpo because they allow kenpo to evolve naturally as many of the old timers intended. If I had to have someone standing at my side in a fight I would much rather have someone with combat fighting experience than someone with a title or a pile of trophies. I would also rather have someone who knew how to think outside the box (so to speak) and I believe that someone from one of the more rigid schools might not match that profile. So what is good or bad? Well that may depend on what you are looking for and how you plan on using it. Remember there are good and bad instructors too. I’ve seen some who claim to be masters that are terrible teachers and I have seen new black belts that seem to have the wisdom of the ages. So what am I saying here? I guess I’m saying it completely depends on your perspective and your expectations as to what is good and bad kenpo.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score

====================

Read More...

The person!

Latest Discussions