KT:Tripping Arrow - Establish the base

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Tripping Arrow - Establish the base
By katsudo_karate - Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:48:50 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

How do you establish your base in this technique, if the attacker starts to pick you up and is a bigger stronger person?

Here is how I have it written.

Tripping Arrow (Front- Bear Hug; Arms Free)

1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs you in a bear hug, but leaves your arms free.

2. Step your left leg to 9 o'clock into a horse stance as you grab your attacker's right shoulder with your left hand, to cancel out their height zones, and execute a right palm strike to your attacker's left ear.

3. Step your right leg around and behind your attacker's right leg towards 3 o'clock into a horse stance.

4. Utilize torque and pivot to your left into a left forward bow facing 9 o'clock as you execute a right palm strike to your attacker's jaw.

5. Execute a right thrusting heel kick to your attacker's chin.

6. Release your left hand hold and sweep your attacker's arm with your right foot as you cross out towards 4:30.

Thanks for the input,

Martin

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
if he's bigger, you can get below his center of gravity pretty easily. if you're low and strong and he has to bend over to keep his grip he'll have a hard time lifting you.

also look to the hands in your first motion. if you slap his head to the left and press hard on the ribs, you steal his alignment and compromise his position. the can work even if you have been picked up. when i teach this technique i tend to emphasize the body crease you can create there. makes the whole technique work much easier.

just my two cents.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tripping Arrow - Establish the base
By katsudo_karate - Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:48:50 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk
====================

How do you establish your base in this technique, if the attacker starts to pick you up and is a bigger stronger person?

Here is how I have it written.

Tripping Arrow (Front- Bear Hug; Arms Free)

1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs you in a bear hug, but leaves your arms free.

2. Step your left leg to 9 o'clock into a horse stance as you grab your attacker's right shoulder with your left hand, to cancel out their height zones, and execute a right palm strike to your attacker's left ear.

3. Step your right leg around and behind your attacker's right leg towards 3 o'clock into a horse stance.

4. Utilize torque and pivot to your left into a left forward bow facing 9 o'clock as you execute a right palm strike to your attacker's jaw.

5. Execute a right thrusting heel kick to your attacker's chin.

6. Release your left hand hold and sweep your attacker's arm with your right foot as you cross out towards 4:30.

Thanks for the input,

Martin

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed
Its all just a front takedown variation, why wait for the bear hug?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its all just a front takedown variation, why wait for the bear hug?

In American Kenpo, we learn prescribed responses for prescribed attacks. We wait for the bear hug, because that is the way the technique is written.

Once we move past the embryonic stage of learning, we can either alter our response or anticipate their attack. In this technique, the bear hug is in place.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In American Kenpo, we learn prescribed responses for prescribed attacks. We wait for the bear hug, because that is the way the technique is written.

Once we move past the embryonic stage of learning, we can either alter our response or anticipate their attack. In this technique, the bear hug is in place.
Thats a good reason for waiting, I suppose.
Sean

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he's got both hands on you you've got a free shot. Twist his head off or hold it in one hand while you elbow the heck out of it. Stick a thumb up each nostril to the third joint...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ear is a fine target, but why not fit that heal palm begind the jaw hinge. The tech may be over at that point.
Sean

Luther

White Belt
Reaction score
The ear is a fine target, but why not fit that heal palm begind the jaw hinge. The tech may be over at that point.
Sean

Ideally not waiting for the bearhug..or finishing as you start are great concepts. I would still like to discuss inserting this technique while someone is really trying to beat your teeth in rather than bear hugging you and standing their while you establish your base.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ideally not waiting for the bearhug..or finishing as you start are great concepts. I would still like to discuss inserting this technique while someone is really trying to beat your teeth in rather than bear hugging you and standing their while you establish your base.
If he has got you up in the air, he is your base. As far as trading punches, if you can get him rocked back on his heels, that would be a good time to insert the technique.
sean

Latest Discussions