Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Northern Shou Shu?
By Brian Kennedy - 01-09-2014 10:17 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Greetings,
I was wondering if any of the folks here had any experience or know anything about an art called Northern Shou Shu? It was developed by an American named Al Moore. I have done the usual Google searches and seen the YouTube videos but I was also looking for other viewpoints. Although most of the websites present the art as being "Chinese", I sense the bulk of the material may have come from the Tracy System (which is why I am asking about it here on Kenpo Talk). I am also quite sure little if any of it is from Chinese/Hong Kong/Taiwanese sources.

The reason I am asking is that a teacher of Shou Shu has started classes here in San Diego and I am going to go have a look next week but prior to doing that I wanted to see what background information I could get.

thanks much,
Brian

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

martialarts4life

White Belt
Reaction score
Northern Shou Shu?
By Brian Kennedy - 01-09-2014 10:17 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Greetings,
I was wondering if any of the folks here had any experience or know anything about an art called Northern Shou Shu? It was developed by an American named Al Moore. I have done the usual Google searches and seen the YouTube videos but I was also looking for other viewpoints. Although most of the websites present the art as being "Chinese", I sense the bulk of the material may have come from the Tracy System (which is why I am asking about it here on Kenpo Talk). I am also quite sure little if any of it is from Chinese/Hong Kong/Taiwanese sources.

The reason I am asking is that a teacher of Shou Shu has started classes here in San Diego and I am going to go have a look next week but prior to doing that I wanted to see what background information I could get.

thanks much,
Brian

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed
Al Moore, his brother Ralph Moore, and Al's son Vern (Al Moore, Jr.) were Tracy Kenpo Karate students in the early to mid 1960's. They were beginner white belts with no prior training. They did not ever study directly from or with any of the Tracy brothers, but did study under assistant instructors Steven Labounty, Bob Blackmoore, and Ted Sumner. Mr. Labounty passed away recently, Mr. Blackmoore passed away about 20 years ago, and Mr. Sumner lives in Texas and still teaches part-time. I spoke with Al Tracy on the telephone in 2008, so that is where I got this information. After earning their 1st degree black belts, Al, Ralph, and Vern moved on to study a style called BoK Fu Do (System of the White Tiger) from Richard Lee in the late 1960's. Al and Ralph earned their black belts in the late 1960's, and Al Moore, Jr. earned his black belt in the early 1970's. Kind of odd that it wasn't a sash considering Mr. Lee teaches a kung fu style. Mr. Lee was a former high ranking Tracy kenpo black belt that broke off and started his own style. After earning their 1st degree black belts, the Moore's took over the lease of one of Mr. Lee's schools and opened their own school teaching their Americanized made-up style of Shou shu, which is simply just a blend of what they learned in Tracy kenpo and Bok Fu Do packaged under a fancy name with a slick marketing plan. Shou Shu has elements of Shuai Jaio or Chaio (pronounced "shu-ee-jow", Chinese wrestling originating in Beijing), which makes sense considering Mr. Lee's style would have a bit of that in the curriculum.

I have heard many different backstory's from those that are part of the Moore's chain of schools, however, nobody has been able to provide names of any Grandmaster's in China, pictures of training, tea ceremonies, copies of passports, etc., to substantiate any of the stories that I have heard about Al Moore's supposed training in China sometime after WWII. I did hear of someone named Lu Chin but no kung fu expert that I've spoken with (Doc Fai Wong, Tat-Mau Wong, the Lacey brothers. etc.) has ever heard of this person, if he ever existed.

One last thing, I find the combining of kung fu uniforms and a Japanese belt system to be quite odd. Richard Lee does have a similar uniform as well as small circular patches representing his organization, so I understand where the Moore's got their uniform system and animal patches on the belts. Karate is heavily influenced by the Chinese martial arts, so maybe that is why Al Moore decided to combine the two. Outside of the United States, one will never find this in Japan or China.

Latest Discussions