KT:Is Kenpo A Knife Art?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Is Kenpo A Knife Art?
By MJS - 09-24-2010 01:17 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Over at the KN, I'm involved in a thread, in which the focus is whether or not Kenpo is just an empty hand system, or if its well suited to using weapons. The weapon for this topic was the knife. The OP of that thread, stated that Kenpo was just as adept at using the knife as someone who trains the FMAs.

I initially got the impression that this person was suggesting that it would be possible to simply pick up a knife and use it, while doing your empty hand SD techs. As long as you understand the ideas, principles and concepts of Kenpo, yes, you can put a blade in your hand and be effective.

Someone else commented that the FMAs use the same platform with their empty hand stuff, as they do with the blade and stick. He said that you dont hear them say, "Well, our knife work is great, but lets go study a more superior system for our empty hand work. His feeling is that seeing as how Kenpo is a great empty hand art, we should be able to apply that same concept.

Now, being someone who trains in the FMAs, I disagreed with this, and of course, we all know what that lead to. LOL. IMHO, I've always felt that if you want to get good at something, you need to understand what it is that you're trying to get good at. Want to learn to swim better? Get yourself in a pool and work with someone who's good at swimming, so they can help you get better. Want to learn how to grapple? So study Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, BJJ. I feel the same about the knife. If you want to learn how to fight with a blade, go to someone who knows what they're doing.

To me, it almost sounds as if those folks are saying that just because there're gun techs in the Kenpo system, that you could hand someone a gun, someone whos never handled or fired one before, and tell them, "Ok, lets see how well you handle this weapon."

So, all that being said, I'm interested in hearing everyones thoughts on here. :) I've already asked Doc his thoughts on this privately, and he gave me a very nice reply. Of course, he's free to comment on this thread as well, as is everyone else. :)

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
if you look at 5/7 swords, it can definately be used as a knife template, similar to Sayoc Kali methods. There may be a possibility that Parker learned some FMA and incorperated it into his teachings.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is Kenpo A Knife Art?
By MJS - 09-24-2010 01:17 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk
====================

Over at the KN, I'm involved in a thread, in which the focus is whether or not Kenpo is just an empty hand system, or if its well suited to using weapons. The weapon for this topic was the knife. The OP of that thread, stated that Kenpo was just as adept at using the knife as someone who trains the FMAs.

I would ask him if they do knife work every single class. My Kali/Escrima class - not a session goes by without knife work - ever.

I don't think most Kenpo students can say the same thing... that should be an indication.

I initially got the impression that this person was suggesting that it would be possible to simply pick up a knife and use it, while doing your empty hand SD techs. As long as you understand the ideas, principles and concepts of Kenpo, yes, you can put a blade in your hand and be effective.

Agreed, you can be effective, to some degree, just doing five swords with a knife in your hand. The angles and patterns Kenpo uses in its strikes, the checks and positioning etc are definately condusive to knife work, however, without adressing some specific knife issues and making some changes a Kenpo guy who just picks up a knife will only be just "getting by".

Someone else commented that the FMAs use the same platform with their empty hand stuff, as they do with the blade and stick. He said that you dont hear them say, "Well, our knife work is great, but lets go study a more superior system for our empty hand work. His feeling is that seeing as how Kenpo is a great empty hand art, we should be able to apply that same concept.

Yes, we should be able to apply the same concept, however, after involvement in many associations, I have only really see this happen when I joined AKKI. Like the FMA I have done, the AKKI teaches knife from day one, and the empty hand techniques have been adjusted to fit perfectly with the knife/knife materioal, so no future adjustments needed. Mr. Mills Kenpo is a "knife art" in a way that is unique to Kenpo.

Now, being someone who trains in the FMAs, I disagreed with this,I feel the same about the knife. If you want to learn how to fight with a blade, go to someone who knows what they're doing.

I agree, however, I don't think "someone who knows what they are doing" with a knife applies only to FMA practitioners. Of course, it certainly doesn't apply to most Kenpo guys!

Latest Discussions