KT:Infinite Advantage

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Infinite Advantage
By Kenpo Gary - Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:15:54 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

A reminder to Tracy Enthusiasts that we have an "Infinite Advantage" over most non-Kenpo and most non-Tracy Kenpo schools. We teach and are taught through private instruction.

For years Tracy has advertised the advantages of private instruction, pointing out to the public the ability (through this method) to learn more rapidly. What may be missed by some, is the fact, that we are not only learning the base techniques, the kata , and the sparring combinations more rapidly, but we are learning all of the concepts and principles contained therein more rapidly as well.

Private instruction allows Tracy schools to practice concretely the principles and concepts other schools merely discuss abstractly or hypothetically. The Tracy instructor individualizes the art for his student through such private instruction. We know that by taking the technique more or less as written ("ideal phase" to use Parker Terminology) and tailoring that technique individually to accommodate the precise differences ("What if phase") that exist within the student (body shape, age, physical limitations, athletic ability, flexibility, etc. of our students, we thereby provide and are provided with the ultimate in practicality for self defense.

So don't be fooled by the naysayers, TRACY KENPO provides the "Infinite Advantage" for student an instructor alike.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure, an "infinite" advantage as long as you have "infinite" cash. I could get all my instruction through private lessons too (although I wouldn't want to), I would just have to pay for them.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is unfair in alot of schools. I have been to a few schools that only teach certain kata and form in private lessons - to those who pay up the extra cash. Those who do not have the money are left with the basics.

On another note I have been to other schools where private lessons are offered to those with little money in exchange for other services such as to gifted students pre-committing to a senpai status when the teacher is comfortable with them.

It's very hard to respect a school that is so driven by money.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually, the standard model of the Tracy method, is that private lessons are the main transmission of information, you learn all new material in a private, and group classes are for running drills, sparring, etc. If taught in this manner, everyone get private lessons, and yes, if you want you can usually buy more.

This particular poster has just joined the Kenpotalk board, and has come off a bit... strong, and he's getting a strong reaction.

Lamont

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My response to this one is pretty much the same as to the "Tracy Rulez! You Suck! 'Cause we fight and you luserz don't!"

What a load of unrefined ********* and splinters.

I guess it goes with the "we learn 7-17 times as fast as anyone else" BS.

I can guarantee that it doesn't and you don't. There's all sorts of people who know how to teach. There's even more who know how to fight.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another My dad can beat up your dad post/article. I'm sure a lot of people from said system don't appreciate this one person speaking for them, especially quite so strongly. I know I wouldn't.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it goes with the "we learn 7-17 times as fast as anyone else" BS.

Speaking of BS. Why don't you remove those quotes or at least try quoting the actual phrase. It constantly amazes me how you guys are able to take words that would be easy enough to copy and paste exactly as written, change them, and post them out of context, and then call it BS.

There is a ten page thread on here dealing with that very phrase. If you have read it, then your post here is a LIE. If you haven't, give it a shot.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, yes KD, seven to seventeen times faster in private lessons. It's still ********. And you're falling into one of the classic traps here. Ignore the main point because it's irrefutable, and then snipe around the edges complaining that it's being taken out of context.

The simple point here is that this guy's posts are at best self-congratulatory marketing hype. At worst he's lying and knows it. Their teaching methods don't develop skills hundreds of percent faster than anyone else even in the context of private lessons. And they aren't the only ones who try their stuff out.

There's no need to reflexively bristle to the defense of anyone peddling snake oil just because they come from the same basic system.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, yes KD, seven to seventeen times faster in private lessons. It's still ********. And you're falling into one of the classic traps here. Ignore the main point because it's irrefutable, and then snipe around the edges complaining that it's being taken out of context.

I was not refuting your main point. I am refuting what I quoted. The slippery slope that you have slid down is that you changed a statement made by Al Tracy, then called your statement BS, while implying that it is a statement made by Tracy's Kenpo.

Their teaching methods don't develop skills hundreds of percent faster than anyone else even in the context of private lessons.

The actual statement does not make that claim. Your statement does. "Developing skills" and "than anyone else" are not a part of the statement. You should read it. You may still disagree, but at least you would know what you are disagreeing with.

There's no need to reflexively bristle to the defense of anyone peddling snake oil just because they come from the same basic system.

LOL. That is not what I have an issue with. What I have an issue with is the fact that you have made up a claim, attributed it to Tracy's, and are calling it snake oil.

You can choose to believe or disbelieve the claim. Heck, call it BS. Your opinions do not change what I know. But please don't change the context of it to support your disbelief. Disagree with what is actually said.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone knows private instructions....is the best way to train...vs a group training.

Still when one can learn as a group can have some advantages too....fellowship, friendships....different partners and so on. The Sensi still can help each individual in the group.

If you are going into the direction of being more a "professional type fighter"....individual training is the better way to learn more!

Cost is a big factor......and group training still works for most of us....

Aloha,

PS: It is the individual (class or not) who is determine to get better? ...will get better!

Training should not end in class.....for every hour of class...one should train at least 5 hours at home..........

Latest Discussions