KT:Forms and competitions

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Forms and competitions
By Lenny - 05-17-2011 06:12 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I have been watching some kenpo forms from competitions lately, and I am wondering: Why do people do stuff like it's a bad shotokan kata, instead of doing the form in a more kenpo way? I've seen all the stuff that looks good but does bad stuff to the body (the usual hip and knee problem inducing stances, etc. Hip wiggling to make isolations look more powerful), movement changes to make it look better (but making the actual tech pointless or prone to counter attacks), etc.

I don't get it. I quit shotokan exactly because I didn't wanted to do that stuff anymore. Are referees on form competitions so used to shotokan kata that kenpo needs to emulate that? I think some of these vids have been taken on kenpo competitions, so I am even more puzzled.

I even found some vids that got an XMA treatment including ridiculous screams (I don't dare to call that a kiai) and high kicks (again, nice from an athletic point of view, but kinda not what's asked for in form 4).

Also, is it worth to do that to kenpo, just to have better chances at an tournament?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions