KT:Color Codes

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Color Codes
By MooseKenpo - Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:20:04 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I had reread some posts from I thread I started that talked about unthinking responses. I found some interesting info and will reference the site I got it from so others can look at it as well and give their opinions:
http://www.dojo.com/MasterSelfDefense/2.shtml:

Color Codes

Understanding the "color code of combat" is a first step to being able to fully implement your self-defense skills in real life. Colonel Jeff Cooper, a combat firearms expert, originally developed these Color Codes. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the codes. You need to etch these colors and their meaning into your mind. Success in combat/survival-defense relies more on an aware/alert mindset than any other combative element. There are four (4) colors in the code: White, Yellow, Orange and Red. As you progress from one color to the next you become better prepared to deal with specific threats.

Condition White

This is the condition of least preparedness. You are not ready for anything. You are in a fog, unaware of who or what is around you. You might be tired or preoccupied with worry. Alcohol or drugs might impair you. Think of people at the Mall during the holiday season. Folks are hell bent on gift buying and pay little attention to anything happening around them. In condition white you have NO choice but to RE-act to any threat of violence. That's providing you even get the chance to react. In a white state, you can be so quickly overwhelmed that you don't even know what hit you. You will be a victim.

How does someone grab your handbag if you are aware and ready for him? How does a knife get pressed to your throat if you're aware? The answer is - they don't. If caught in condition white, even a black belt or Army Ranger can be quickly defeated. Condition white is only appropriate for when you are locked snugly at home. When you leave home, you switch to ....

Condition Yellow

Condition Yellow is the ready state. You are calm and relaxed but alert, scanning your surroundings for threats. You know who's in front of you, to your sides, and behind you. You can't be easily surprised. You don't think anyone will attack, but you are mentally ready to take direct action if something happens.

Here is a business application of Condition Yellow. When you go into a Walmart, you are immediately observed by a senior citizen called a greeter, "Hi, how are you doing today?" You feel, "Yes, this is a nice folksy touch that Walmart does." And, yes, it is a nice gesture but there is an ulterior motive. Greeting customers is a tried and true retail security tactic. Let the customer know that a store employee has seen them. The hidden message is "Hi, welcome to Walmart. We see you so don't even think about stealing anything." For the same reason, you will find greeters at high end stores and stores that cater to teens.

Condition Orange

In Condition Orange, the hairs start to stand up on your neck. The alarm bells ring. Your intuition tells you that something isn't right. Colonel Cooper uses the example of a man wearing an overcoat walking into a store on a sweltering summer day. What's wrong with this picture? In Condition Orange, you are set to go. You are aware of potential trouble and you begin to formulate an escape and/or attack plan. I can run here and here and here. I can use this and that as weapons. I can make a call on my cell phone. I can draw attention to my situation by this method or that. If the situation develops and your personal boundary is violated, you are ready to take direct action. You are on high alert. You are focused. You are a tiger ready to pounce. You hit. You hit hard. You run.

Someone is leering at you or a teenager is leaning on your car or you are approached by a panhandler on the street. What is your intuition telling you? Listen! State your command - "Stay back" Create an opportunity to escape if you can. If the threat continues to develop, does it make sense to take the initiative and take charge of the situation? "Here is my wallet. Take it and go now!"

If you live or work in any area where street robbery is more than a random possibility, you might consider carrying a decoy wallet or purse containing old cards and twenty dollars in singles and fives. You lose twenty dollars. You gain an interesting anecdote.

If the area is crowded, the mugger will probably be happy to grab the wallet and make a hasty retreat. If the area is quiet, the mugger may feel that he has time to make further demands. In this case, you might want to create a diversion and a few seconds of lead-time by dropping or tossing the wallet to the side and then running.

In most muggings, you will find yourself surprised and startled. This is perfectly normal. This is what the mugger wants and he has set up the environment to his advantage. You will be frightened. Any reasonable person would be. You simply don't want to be completely paralyzed by fear. If you have run through imaginary threat scenarios in your mind in advance, you may have the foresight to gain an opening to escape by tossing the wallet or using your pepper spray or sticking your fingers in the mugger's eye, something.

KellyMcCann_Ifyouare.gif

Fact: The Marine Corps has their own color code with red being the ready state and black the action state.

Condition Red

In Condition Red, you are in the fight. You are being assaulted and you must respond to the attack. The time for dialogue has ended. You must end the violence and escape. This means that you must put the attacker in enough pain that he worries more about the pain than in continuing his assault.

"I must inflict pain." Until you can cross this psychological barrier in your mind, you have nothing to win in Condition Red! When you have survival mindset that, "I will do what it takes, whatever it takes to live long enough to tell stories to my grandchildren," then you are 90% of the way home. You will punch, bite, kick, scream, stab, shoot, spray. You will hurt the other person. You don't want to be raped, or killed or have your children abducted. You aren't concerned about getting hurt or getting sued. You will win by creating an opening that will get you and/or your loved ones back home. Do you want to be tried by twelve or carried by six?

IndianProverb.gif

profile_e.gif
Master's Tip: Law enforcement officers (LEOs) have to worry about criminals' rights. You are not a LEO. You have the right to live in peace. You have a right to end the violence being done to you. You have the right to defend yourself. In any event, if you follow the Action Principles and the Master Success philosophy, you should be prosperous enough to hire Johnny Cochran to defend you.

Just thought I would post what I found. What are some things that people do "subconsciously" perhaps to be more secure or aware of their surroundings. I found for example that when I enter a restuarant/bar/establishement that I have to have myself where I can watch the entrances/exits. I get edgy if I can't see them. Does anybody else do this or have I just been hit just one too many times.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed