Kron Gracie wins MMA debut

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

He tapped his opponent out in 1:55. Pretty impressive.

Him and daddy Rickson want to bring Bjj back to MMA. It will be interesting to see how successful they are.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it will be interesting to see how they chose his opponents to give him a good starting record.
Still nice tape out

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully he can wrestle better than was displayed on that vid or is at least willing to put some work into that area. Pulling guard like that is a habit he'll need to get out of if he plans on making it to the top levels of the sport

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully he can wrestle better than was displayed on that vid or is at least willing to put some work into that area. Pulling guard like that is a habit he'll need to get out of if he plans on making it to the top levels of the sport

Everyone's a critic.... ;)

In all seriousness, Rickson has stated that Kron isn't going to incorporate a lot of other styles into his JJ. In other words, his takedowns are probably going to be mainly old school Gjj, and not wrestling.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone's a critic.... ;)

In all seriousness, Rickson has stated that Kron isn't going to incorporate a lot of other styles into his JJ. In other words, his takedowns are probably going to be mainly old school Gjj, and not wrestling.

yeah that was very bjj. Wasn't it. From the low kicking and no boxing to a but flop.

and i would have said there was no way that would work on a modern mma fighter.

but it did. So i am impressed.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah that was very bjj. Wasn't it. From the low kicking and no boxing to a but flop.

and i would have said there was no way that would work on a modern mma fighter.

but it did. So i am impressed.
According to Sherdog, that was his opponent's first pro fight. We'll see how well that style holds up once Kron moves up to higher level opponents.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ah see that's what i have just been doing looking up his opponent.
it is really kind of an interesting back story. If this were a Disney movie kron would be the bad guy

Hyung Soo Kim Immortal Wrestler MMA Fighter Page Tapology

he hasn't walked in off the street.
I certainly wouldn't suggest that Mr. Kim was an untrained slouch. It actually looks like it was a good first matchup for both of them. They're both experienced and talented grapplers with no prior MMA competition experience.

That said, Kron will have a much harder time ahead of him if he wants to just run in and jump guard with the calibre of fighters that are currently in the UFC.

Hopefully by the time he gets that far in his MMA career he will develop a more rounded game.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Think back to the first time you competed in......whatever.
If you haven't competed, your opinion might not be the best judge of....well, anything, really.

My guess - he'll probably be okay. Might be fun to watch. :)

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People are drawing comparisons between him and Ronda Rousey. Rousey had a pretty one-dimensional game until very recently, and I remember when a lot of people said that strikers and wrestlers would dismantle her strong Judo base.

Hasn't happened yet, and Kron's career could go in a similar fashion.

Of course the men's division is far deeper than the woman division.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Way deeper. There have been many elite level Bjj guys. You can go pretty far, but there's a limit. Look at guys like Damian Maia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Damien Maia is interesting....to me, anyway. No doubt about his skill/talent/heart and what have you. As a fan, I find his fights almost make me fall asleep. If I was trying to get a friend interested in MMA, I wouldn't show him one of Maia's fights.

Wouldn't fight the guy with a whip and chair, though. Not even with a gun and an expresso. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to be at the top tier level in MMA you need a well rounded game. If Kron really wants to compete against the best he will have to add a few things.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rickson has stated that Kron isn't going to incorporate a lot of other styles into his JJ. In other words, his takedowns are probably going to be mainly old school Gjj, and not wrestling
While I admire Kron's dedication to BJJ, I fear that he will be limiting himself if he sticks with this mentality. Being able to establish top control is a much more vital skill in the modern game than when Rickson was fighting. It would be a shame to see someone as obviously talented as Kron create a glass ceiling for himself due to stubbornness.
As you say though, it will be interesting to follow his progress.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be but she is the better looking and she did learn and improve fast

Did she?

Maybe she just didn't show more of her game until she needed it?

Sort of like Kron here....odds are good that he's got a better "kicking game" than the simple entry he was attempting (ala dad)...but he used what was going to work. Down the road we'll see......

Trust me, we haven't seen all of Ronda Rousey's talent in the octagon yet, and we might not ever get to see it........if she doesn't need it.
rolling.gif

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People are drawing comparisons between him and Ronda Rousey. Rousey had a pretty one-dimensional game until very recently, and I remember when a lot of people said that strikers and wrestlers would dismantle her strong Judo base.

Hasn't happened yet, and Kron's career could go in a similar fashion.

Of course the men's division is far deeper than the woman division.

well the advantage is that we will find out. One way or another.

Latest Discussions