krav maga

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here trained in Krav Maga? I'm finallly moving to Phoenix and don't think I'm going to find a school like mine. (combo of Muay Thai, JKD, FMA) or even very close for that matter. I did stumble onto this though:

http://www.reactdefense.com/center.cfm

Looks pretty neato in my book. Just interested in thoughts from people who have trained in this style.

B

Basicman

Website looks nice, go check it out. I have been inetrested in what Krav Maga is all about. Worst that can happen is it is not for you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done some training in it on a basic level. I liked what I saw, though you will most likely hear some controversy on the weapon disarms. As far as that goes, I suggest keeping an open mind. Of course, depending on who you talk to, you will hear that they are not as good as (insert style here)!!! IMO, you're the one training in it, so you will have to decide for yourself.

One thing that I liked about it was the simplicity of the techs. For example, you'll find that for a 2 hand choke, either from the front, side or rear, that the defenses all start the same, with what they refer to as a 'plucking' motion. I find that this is helpful because in a stressfull situation, you won't have to think, "Ok, I'm being choked this way, so I have to do this defense." As I said, the initial move is the same regardless of the side its applied on.

IMO, its an effective system. The material is simple to do, easy to remember, and to the point!!!!

Check out the school. Make sure that you ask questions, and if they offer it, which most schools do, take a trial lesson.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!! :ultracool

Mike

L

LT2002

A buddy of mine attending a seminar and really enjoyed it. Some things went against his LEO training, but overall he liked it.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though biased to some extent, I whole-heartedly recommend Krav Maga if you like an effective style. I couldn't get much information out of the site, but Krav Maga combines western boxing with Muay Thai with a twist - no rules. Kicks to the groin, elbows to the back of the head kicks to the knee... these are all legitimate in Krav Maga in an attempt to teach you the proper way to react to a street fight (though in training you'd never actually strike these areas).

On the self-defense side, you learn some really simple (yet efficient and effective) techniques. You learn something new every lesson instead of having to spend years perfecting your technique.

I once saw a documentry about martial arts that showed very little Krav Maga in it, but the little the military instructor demonstrating it did say was very interesting, IMO:

"Your skeleton isn't built like a crane's, your muscles don't stretch like a monkey's and your body doesn't bend like a snake. Start moving like a human."

What most people said is true, give it a shot and see if you like it.

Good luck!

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
Though biased to some extent, I whole-heartedly recommend Krav Maga if you like an effective style. I couldn't get much information out of the site, but Krav Maga combines western boxing with Muay Thai with a twist - no rules. Kicks to the groin, elbows to the back of the head kicks to the knee... these are all legitimate in Krav Maga in an attempt to teach you the proper way to react to a street fight (though in training you'd never actually strike these areas).

On the self-defense side, you learn some really simple (yet efficient and effective) techniques. You learn something new every lesson instead of having to spend years perfecting your technique.

I once saw a documentry about martial arts that showed very little Krav Maga in it, but the little the military instructor demonstrating it did say was very interesting, IMO:

"Your skeleton isn't built like a crane's, your muscles don't stretch like a monkey's and your body doesn't bend like a snake. Start moving like a human."

What most people said is true, give it a shot and see if you like it.

Good luck!

How long have you been in KM? Also, I met a KM practitioner one time and asked him about ground fighting. He said that they definately train in it, but that its more geared to "fight your way back onto your feet" as opposed to fight until you can choke someone out, get a armbar, etc. Would you agree with that assessment?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
How long have you been in KM? Also, I met a KM practitioner one time and asked him about ground fighting. He said that they definately train in it, but that its more geared to "fight your way back onto your feet" as opposed to fight until you can choke someone out, get a armbar, etc. Would you agree with that assessment?
I've been training for over three (intense!) years and have also finished my instructors course.

I would generally agree with that assessment. On your feet you have more options. On the ground you're at a disadvantage due to lack of maneuverability and if your opponent is heavier than you, good luck staying on top. As some people have said of KM, "total annihilation" is a large part of the style (fairly accurate, though not the whole picture). And with good reason, IMO. If someone's attacking you, take them down as fast as you can to protect yourself. He won't hold back or take pity on you. Respond in kind

Choking takes too long (and there are techniques to get out of chokes on the ground :p) and armbars are for more relaxed situations when the person isn't really dangerous or you don't want to hurt him. Real attack against you? Punch/kick/bite the snot outta the guy. Anything goes to defend yourself.

Theoretical ******** aside, emphasis is to get back onto your feet, though situations where's it's not easily done (attacker's sitting on your stomach and choking/holding both your hands etc.) have techniques to counter.

~ Loki

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This month issue of "Black Belt" magazine (April 2005) has a good story about Israeli military Krav Maga and how it got started. Worth reading......Aloha

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Black Belt Magazine an online magazine or a printed one?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki said:
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Black Belt Magazine an online magazine or a printed one?

Printed, but I believe you can access their web site and get some info. online.

Mike

Vitor

White Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga is a very practical style of self-defense and is used by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to train soldiers and civilians to become efficient in a short amount of time.
Krav Maga is an aggressive, anti-terrorist survival system without rules. It deals with personal safety issues in the context of defending against both armed and unarmed attackers with only one objective: to eliminate the threat in the fastest way possible.
  • Counterattacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
  • Targeting attacks to the body’s most vulnerable points.
  • Maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
  • Maintaining awareness of surroundings.
Vitor Ferreira
Former Special Forces
Montreal Krav Maga Chief Instructor
mkmcanada.com