Krav Maga training effectiveness

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep because I have this great thing called life experience where I've seen this exact thing happened.

Also why wait until the knifes thrown as soon as you see the hint of a knife coming out smack the guy as hard as you can
Again, you're putting words into my mouth. It's not like I would stand there waiting for a knife to come out to counter it. I'm saying that using a block like you would in boxing (putting your hands in front of your face) would not defend against a knife as well as some of the techniques I've already learned in KM in the few lessons I've had.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you please outline for me what I've said that was so incorrect? Maybe I was wrong about the extent to which KM is used around the world in police and military forces, but I'm interested in how I'm incorrect that KM would do a better job of defending me than being untrained in MA at all.
Because as has been said many times the martial art really means nothing in a fight it's about the person who uses it. You could train for 10 years but just not be very good or skilled or co-ordinated or just not tough enough to fight. I know loads of very good martial artists way better than me who look amazing doing there kata and techniques in the dojo but just aren't tough enough to defend themselves if they get a hit and taste their own blood they'd freeze and stop and get pounded on.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, you're putting words into my mouth. It's not like I would stand there waiting for a knife to come out to counter it. I'm saying that using a block like you would in boxing (putting your hands in front of your face) would not defend against a knife as well as some of the techniques I've already learned in KM in the few lessons I've had.
Actually a boxing block would work very well against a knife. It'd stop the knife hitting it's intended target it may cut your forearm but who cares that's what happens in a fight. Okay you talk me through this scenario

I draw a knife and try to stick it In your stomach. Tell me what you do

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Because as has been said many times the martial art really means nothing in a fight it's about the person who uses it. You could train for 10 years but just not be very good or skilled or co-ordinated or just not tough enough to fight. I know loads of very good martial artists way better than me who look amazing doing there kata and techniques in the dojo but just aren't tough enough to defend themselves if they get a hit and taste their own blood they'd freeze and stop and get pounded on.
Okay I'll lay out to you what I've meant this entire time. Take your average guy. Not trained in any martial arts. If he were ever confronted with someone trying to start a fight with him, he would probably try to swing a few punches, most likely miss, and receive a beating. Now take that same guy, and put him through even just a year or two of KM, or any other MA. After that period of time, he will be more suited to reading the situation, knowing when to counter and when to attack, being able to block a punch from the attacker, and overall will be better off in the fight. I never once stated that if you take a weak-willed pacifist who couldn't hit a man if he tried and tell him how to punch a guy in the throat in the right way, he'd suddenly become Bruce Lee. You're putting these words into my mouth and then calling me out on them, when I never once stated any such thing.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually a boxing block would work very well against a knife. It'd stop the knife hitting it's intended target it may cut your forearm but who cares that's what happens in a fight. Okay you talk me through this scenario

I draw a knife and try to stick it In your stomach. Tell me what you do
Oh I'm sorry I thought that by your logic if a knife nicks your arm you can bleed out just as easily as if you were stabbed in the heart right?

As for your scenario, I'm not denying it would be hard to defend. If someone did that to me right now, with me and my lack of training, I would most certainly be fucked. You, on the other hand, who I am assuming has done MA's for a while now based off of your profile on here, would most likely be able to handle the situation better than I could.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay I'll lay out to you what I've meant this entire time. Take your average guy. Not trained in any martial arts. If he were ever confronted with someone trying to start a fight with him, he would probably try to swing a few punches, most likely miss, and receive a beating. Now take that same guy, and put him through even just a year or two of KM, or any other MA. After that period of time, he will be more suited to reading the situation, knowing when to counter and when to attack, being able to block a punch from the attacker, and overall will be better off in the fight. I never once stated that if you take a weak-willed pacifist who couldn't hit a man if he tried and tell him how to punch a guy in the throat in the right way, he'd suddenly become Bruce Lee. You're putting these words into my mouth and then calling me out on them, when I never once stated any such thing.
As I've said.....and I'll have to say again it seems. It depends on the person. They may suck, there teacher may be a fraud, maybe they're drunk at the time. A good street fighter could easily take out a good martial artist and vice versa

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I've said.....and I'll have to say again it seems. It depends on the person. They may suck, there teacher may be a fraud, maybe they're drunk at the time. A good street fighter could easily take out a good martial artist and vice versa
It seems like we're both repeating ourselves now. That average guy after 2 years of training would be better than he was before. Period. He might not be able to win a fight against a skilled street fighter, but he would simply be more skilled than he was before he started his training. What you're saying is like if someone who never played basketball before trained every day for years, but when it came down to it he never actually got any better because he's 'just not that kind of guy'.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry I thought that by your logic if a knife nicks your arm you can bleed out just as easily as if you were stabbed in the heart right?

As for your scenario, I'm not denying it would be hard to defend. If someone did that to me right now, with me and my lack of training, I would most certainly be fucked. You, on the other hand, who I am assuming has done MA's for a while now based off of your profile on here, would most likely be able to handle the situation better than I could.
Look at the magic word I said....forearms....you don't have veins on the forearms as far as I know.

Sooo you haven't even been taught a knife defence yet but are so certain that a Krav Maga person could defend against a knife better than an average guy...you don't know how good the Krav Maga defences are...trust me there are knife techniques taught out there that are seriously dangerous....to the person doing the technique

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems like we're both repeating ourselves now. That average guy after 2 years of training would be better than he was before. Period. He might not be able to win a fight against a skilled street fighter, but he would simply be more skilled than he was before he started his training. What you're saying is like if someone who never played basketball before trained every day for years, but when it came down to it he never actually got any better because he's 'just not that kind of guy'.
Yep difference is you're repeating yourself saying things wrong. Again no maybe not it all depends there is nothing certain about anything. Maybe train for at least a year before thinking you know these things for certain. I guarantee if your still training in a year you'll see exactly what I'm saying

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Look at the magic word I said....forearms....you don't have veins on the forearms as far as I know.

Sooo you haven't even been taught a knife defence yet but are so certain that a Krav Maga person could defend against a knife better than an average guy...you don't know how good the Krav Maga defences are...trust me there are knife techniques taught out there that are seriously dangerous....to the person doing the technique
If you keep your arms up like a boxer, the person wielding the knife could very simple turn it at an angle, and hit you in your upper arm.

And I have been taught knife defences in class, admittedly at a much slower speed and with fake knives, so no, I wouldn't claim myself to be an expert on blocking knives, which is what I meant by my lack of training. And how could you seriously say that an average guy could defend against a knife as well as a KM practitioner? Even with my limited experience in the class, I would feel more confident against a knife than I would before I had ever done those exercises in class. Why? Because I learned a new technique, went through it several times with a partner, and have therefore added that knowledge into my 'fighting portfolio'. I know that personally, if someone slashed at me with a knife before I started KM, I would likely flinch like a little ***** and take the blade to the chest, because I would have no idea how to stop it. Now having done what I did during those lessons, I would at least try to do what I learned in class.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep difference is you're repeating yourself saying things wrong. Again no maybe not it all depends there is nothing certain about anything. Maybe train for at least a year before thinking you know these things for certain. I guarantee if your still training in a year you'll see exactly what I'm saying
So you're saying that it happens that someone starts a martial art and after training for a while, are less suited for a fight than they were before? I really hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds. :p

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you keep your arms up like a boxer, the person wielding the knife could very simple turn it at an angle, and hit you in your upper arm.

And I have been taught knife defences in class, admittedly at a much slower speed and with fake knives, so no, I wouldn't claim myself to be an expert on blocking knives, which is what I meant by my lack of training. And how could you seriously say that an average guy could defend against a knife as well as a KM practitioner? Even with my limited experience in the class, I would feel more confident against a knife than I would before I had ever done those exercises in class. Why? Because I learned a new technique, went through it several times with a partner, and have therefore added that knowledge into my 'fighting portfolio'. I know that personally, if someone slashed at me with a knife before I started KM, I would likely flinch like a little ***** and take the blade to the chest, because I would have no idea how to stop it. Now having done what I did during those lessons, I would at least try to do what I learned in class.
With your limited experience you'd die you know rhe techique very very basically and if you try it against a full speed knife you'd die very quick trust me on that

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
With your limited experience you'd die you know rhe techique very very basically and if you try it against a full speed knife you'd die very quick trust me on that
Not any quicker than I'd die throwing my hands up and closing my eyes would I?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you're saying that it happens that someone starts a martial art and after training for a while, are less suited for a fight than they were before? I really hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds. :p
Yes it does I've seen it happen a number of times but hey you know best right. Anyway I'm bored bye bye

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Best advice for anyone to deal with a knife. Run like hell
What if you can't? **** happens man, if my back was against the wall and a knife was in my face, I'll take KM over nothing any day. But you can keep believing that I would somehow be better off being unskilled at any self-defense, I just hope you don't ever decide to become a martial arts teacher, because then I'd have to worry for the safety of your students.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if you can't? **** happens man, if my back was against the wall and a knife was in my face, I'll take KM over nothing any day. But you can keep believing that I would somehow be better off being unskilled at any self-defense, I just hope you don't ever decide to become a martial arts teacher, because then I'd have to worry for the safety of your students.
Lol I already do teach thanks and my students are fine thank you. But thanks for your concern kiddo

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lol I already do teach thanks and my students are fine thank you. But thanks for your concern kiddo
Why teach them though? Doesn't that make them worse off in a fight? You'd better just leave them be untrained, because they have the same fighting chance as you do, right?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why teach them though? Doesn't that make them worse off in a fight? You'd better just leave them be untrained, because they have the same fighting chance as you do, right?
Yeaahhhh that's right because everyone wants to fight who trains martial arts don't they :yawn:

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeaahhhh that's right because everyone wants to fight who trains martial arts don't they :yawn:
Fair point. I see you've dropped your argument though, presumably because you realized how little sense it made.

Latest Discussions