Krav Maga training effectiveness

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not police but I've worked on plenty of doors and if I ever eye gouged a guy even if he had a rocket launcher I'd be out of a job and may as well give the guy my house keys with how much he'd sue me for

I saw a fight in a club once where a guy was poked in the eye ( not 'gouged' as such, as the eyeball didn't hang down his cheek) it just made him as mad as hell, he used his good eye to take down everyone he could see. We were fine we just got on his blindside.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok I googled, no police forces came up and only the IDF came up ( as Israeli police officers are ex military they don't count as being taught KM as police) I've worked with many people from many different countries so have a good idea of what they train. However many KM schools claim that it's taught in far more places than it is, it's a 'selling point'. It's USP isn't, and other styles gyms and schools also use 'special forces/police' as their selling point.
Yes, this thread is about KM but you don't seem to understand that there's many variations of it, thought up by various people, as I keep saying it's only as good as the instructor teaching and only as good as the training, just like any other style.

Just no, there is not a style in the world that can disarm a knifeman purely using martial arts techniques without the defender being injured sometimes severely. Anyone who teaches you that you can disarm a knife swinging toward you and you not be hurt is lying. Police officers just about everywhere know this ( and one I can think of is an extremely good martial artist, an MMA fighter, as well as a police unarmed combat trainer).
On the recent terrorist knife attack in London various people took on the attackers, one Spanish man went for them with his skateboard, he was killed. Another, a sports journalist who is also a martial artist also went for them and was stabbed in the throat. A police officer used his baton against one and received bad cuts to both arms, others threw chairs and tables at them. The police shot them dead.

I though many of you would like this though.
Football fan fought London terror attackers with his fists shouting 'f**k you, I'm Millwall'
You're putting words into my mouth now. Did I ever once claim that using KM against a knife-wielding attacker would not result in you being injured? The first thing my KM teacher told me was that the majority of the time you're in a fight with someone who genuinely wants to cause you harm, you're going to get hurt. The most you can hope for most of the time is having that knife hitting your arm instead of plunging into your heart, as it is nearly impossible to completely stop someone with intent to hurt you. The fact is that if someone were swinging a knife at me, I'd have a better chance of getting out of the confrontation alive if I were trained in KM than if I weren't trained in anything. You can bring up different martial arts that would have the same effect all day long, but I'm not talking about other martial arts. If you're going to deny that knowing KM against someone trying to slash you would be better than not knowing any self-defense, I'm afraid I can't say anything to you anymore, because that is simply ridiculous.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're putting words into my mouth now. Did I ever once claim that using KM against a knife-wielding attacker would not result in you being injured? The first thing my KM teacher told me was that the majority of the time you're in a fight with someone who genuinely wants to cause you harm, you're going to get hurt. The most you can hope for most of the time is having that knife hitting your arm instead of plunging into your heart, as it is nearly impossible to completely stop someone with intent to hurt you. The fact is that if someone were swinging a knife at me, I'd have a better chance of getting out of the confrontation alive if I were trained in KM than if I weren't trained in anything. You can bring up different martial arts that would have the same effect all day long, but I'm not talking about other martial arts. If you're going to deny that knowing KM against someone trying to slash you would be better than not knowing any self-defense, I'm afraid I can't say anything to you anymore, because that is simply ridiculous.
Not necessarily if a knife catches you on the inside of your arm and catches a vein then you'll die just the same as if you get stabbed in the heart

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not necessarily if a knife catches you on the inside of your arm and catches a vein then you'll die just the same as if you get stabbed in the heart
You're getting into the 'what if's' now, which is hardly conducive to a solid debate. I'd rather take my chances with getting cut in the arm, which isn't lethal 100% of the time, than getting stabbed in the heart, which as far as I know is much more likely to kill you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really need to realise martial arts won't turn you into jackie chan. Martial artists aren't superhuman and non martial artists aren't just slow clumsy idiots. Someone could train everyday for 20 years and they could get into a fight with a drunk at a bar and get knocked out in 5 seconds. It's not about how much training you have it's about what happens in that fight. There's a lot of luck involved in fights.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're getting into the 'what if's' now, which is hardly conducive to a solid debate. I'd rather take my chances with getting cut in the arm, which isn't lethal 100% of the time, than getting stabbed in the heart, which as far as I know is much more likely to kill you.
The what it's are the most important part of martial arts. What you're stuck on is the ideal phase where it happens in the perfect way....nope wrong you'll never use the perfect technique in a fight it'll never go to plan you need to consider these ideal things and honestly what I've said isn't that uncommon you go to block a knife it'll be with your lower arm right where the veins are....one wrong twist you get very dead very quick

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You really need to realise martial arts won't turn you into jackie chan. Martial artists aren't superhuman and non martial artists aren't just slow clumsy idiots. Someone could train everyday for 20 years and they could get into a fight with a drunk at a bar and get knocked out in 5 seconds. It's not about how much training you have it's about what happens in that fight. There's a lot of luck involved in fights.
Then why train in any martial arts ever? You can read every single one of my replies, I never claimed that training in KM or anything else will turn me into a killing machine. If I train KM for 5 years, I will be better suited to defend myself than I was before I started training. That is just the truth. Of course every fight involves a certain level of luck, but I couldn't win a fight vs. Conor Mcgregor. Why? Because he's trained in MA's more than I have, and therefore is better at defending and attacking.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The what it's are the most important part of martial arts. What you're stuck on is the ideal phase where it happens in the perfect way....nope wrong you'll never use the perfect technique in a fight it'll never go to plan you need to consider these ideal things and honestly what I've said isn't that uncommon you go to block a knife it'll be with your lower arm right where the veins are....one wrong twist you get very dead very quick
No, I meant the what if's aren't good for a debate, which is what is happening right now. I can say, 'You might be a kung fu master, but what if the guy you're fighting pulls out a grenade and throws it at your feet? Kung fu won't help you then will it?' No, of course it won't. But that's not relevant. An infinite number of things can happen during a fight. Fights are dangerous, whether you are trained in MA or not. They are less dangerous, however, if you have some idea of what to do against an attack. I honestly cannot see how you are trying to argue against that statement, considering this is an entire website dedicated to people who recognize the benefit of MA on your reflexes, defensive skills and overall safety.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then why train in any martial arts ever? You can read every single one of my replies, I never claimed that training in KM or anything else will turn me into a killing machine. If I train KM for 5 years, I will be better suited to defend myself than I was before I started training. That is just the truth. Of course every fight involves a certain level of luck, but I couldn't win a fight vs. Conor Mcgregor. Why? Because he's trained in MA's more than I have, and therefore is better at defending and attacking.
If I went up to Conor mcgregor in a bar when he's talking to his friends and punch him in the face then I could knock him out. Better suited sure but no where near certain and honestly not always. A guy I know was a very good street fighter and got into fights a lot and won most. He was an idiot but he was tough but then he started training and he couldn't fight as well because he got so focused on his techical fighting he lost the killer instinct, it's like Bruce lee says about people getting held down by traditional mess. Now I know that's not the general rule but it happens

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I meant the what if's aren't good for a debate, which is what is happening right now. I can say, 'You might be a kung fu master, but what if the guy you're fighting pulls out a grenade and throws it at your feet? Kung fu won't help you then will it?' No, of course it won't. But that's not relevant. An infinite number of things can happen during a fight. Fights are dangerous, whether you are trained in MA or not. They are less dangerous, however, if you have some idea of what to do against an attack. I honestly cannot see how you are trying to argue against that statement, considering this is an entire website dedicated to people who recognize the benefit of MA on your reflexes, defensive skills and overall safety.
We recognise it but aren't blinded by it either. And saying what if someone throws a grenade that's stupid...but saying what if you block a knife the wrong way and get your veins cut that's not stupid because that could very easily happen.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I went up to Conor mcgregor in a bar when he's talking to his friends and punch him in the face then I could knock him out. Better suited sure but no where near certain and honestly not always. A guy I know was a very good street fighter and got into fights a lot and won most. He was an idiot but he was tough but then he started training and he couldn't fight as well because he got so focused on his techical fighting he lost the killer instinct, it's like Bruce lee says about people getting held down by traditional mess. Now I know that's not the general rule but it happens
I thought we were talking about fighting, not surprise punches to the face. Choose your scenario and then maybe we can try and see how MA's would benefit. Having a gun on you won't help if someone sneaks up on you and knocks you out with a baton to the head, does that mean guns are never a good way to defend yourself?

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We recognise it but aren't blinded by it either. And saying what if someone throws a grenade that's stupid...but saying what if you block a knife the wrong way and get your veins cut that's not stupid because that could very easily happen.
What makes you think I'm blinded by it? Again, I never claimed KM or any MA would make me into an impervious lethal weapon than can take out anyone who comes at me, but it would at least give me a fighting chance.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought we were talking about fighting, not surprise punches to the face. Choose your scenario and then maybe we can try and see how MA's would benefit. Having a gun on you won't help if someone sneaks up on you and knocks you out with a baton to the head, does that mean guns are never a good way to defend yourself?
How do you a think fight works? Do you think they clear a massive space declare they're going to fight then both drop into fighting stances?

Surprise attacks are how most fights start unless you're one of those idiots who goes round looking for trouble.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes you think I'm blinded by it? Again, I never claimed KM or any MA would make me into an impervious lethal weapon than can take out anyone who comes at me, but it would at least give me a fighting chance.
Everyone's got a fighting chance someone sees a knife and starts swinging haymakers with no skill that could just as easily save them as any Krav Maga techique

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you a think fight works? Do you think they clear a massive space declare they're going to fight then both drop into fighting stances?

Surprise attacks are how most fights start unless you're one of those idiots who goes round looking for trouble.
Obviously you cannot defend against an attack that comes out of nowhere. Doesn't matter if you're a blackbelt in whatever, someone smashes your face against the bar, you're going to take the hit. But on the off-chance you're not immediately rendered unconscious, the attack then turns into a fight, where both sides are aware of the conflict. This is where the MA's come in. This is what I'm talking about. You keep trying to make me seem like some sort of naïve teen who loves ninja movies too much and thinks that any fight can be solved with some fancy moves, but I'm not. I get that fighting is messy. I get that knowing MA's will not protect me 100%. But I also know that it is better than where I am right now, which is untrained in any MA.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Everyone's got a fighting chance someone sees a knife and starts swinging haymakers with no skill that could just as easily save them as any Krav Maga techique
You really believe that if I square up like a boxer I would have just as good a chance of blocking a knife than if I knew KM, a form of self-defense that specifically trains for situations involving knives at close range?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously you cannot defend against an attack that comes out of nowhere. Doesn't matter if you're a blackbelt in whatever, someone smashes your face against the bar, you're going to take the hit. But on the off-chance you're not immediately rendered unconscious, the attack then turns into a fight, where both sides are aware of the conflict. This is where the MA's come in. This is what I'm talking about. You keep trying to make me seem like some sort of naïve teen who loves ninja movies too much and thinks that any fight can be solved with some fancy moves, but I'm not. I get that fighting is messy. I get that knowing MA's will not protect me 100%. But I also know that it is better than where I am right now, which is untrained in any MA.
I don't need to make you seem like anything you're doing all the work for me.

You are naive and you are a teenager. Nothing wrong with that we all start somewhere but you've come no here saying things that are wrong so don't be upset when people point out those things to you.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really believe that if I square up like a boxer I would have just as good a chance of blocking a knife than if I knew KM, a form of self-defense that specifically trains for situations involving knives at close range?
Yep because I have this great thing called life experience where I've seen this exact thing happened.

Also why wait until the knifes thrown as soon as you see the hint of a knife coming out smack the guy as hard as you can

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are naive and you are a teenager. Nothing wrong with that we all start somewhere but you've come no here saying things that are wrong so don't be upset when people point out those things to you.

QFT.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't need to make you seem like anything you're doing all the work for me.

Can you please outline for me what I've said that was so incorrect? Maybe I was wrong about the extent to which KM is used around the world in police and military forces, but I'm interested in how I'm incorrect that KM would do a better job of defending me than being untrained in MA at all.

Latest Discussions