Krav Maga training effectiveness

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that KM is any more effective than most other MA to be honest. Certainly kickboxing is very effective a neutralising people, if by neutralizing you mean causing them so much pain they stop trying to hit you
Yeah everyone seems to think KM is this ultimate martial art now but from I've seen of it there's really nothing in it that I haven't seen anywhere else. That's not saying it's bad but i don't think it's this super best ever martial art a lot of people make it out to be

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well then he has a gym membership so he's already doing his fitness work why pay more money for more fitness work. That'd be a bit of a waste since he's already paid for a gym.
well there is the issue that as a society with have been sold the idea that you cant have significant fitness with out a gym membership and the issue that if fighting is the aim then your fitness needs to be geared towards fighting rather than at a general level of fitness and that is best achieved by training for fighting , were that training is extremely challenging

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well there is the issue that as a society with have been sold the idea that you cant have significant fitness with out a gym membership and the issue that if fighting is the aim then your fitness needs to be geared towards fighting rather than at a general level of fitness and that is best achieved by training for fighting , were that training is extremely challenging
Oh I don't believe that I haven't used a traditional as in fitness gym since I was 16. Any fitness I do is on my own or in class and yeah sure martial arts should help your fitness but it shouldn't be the main focus unless it's something like aerobic boxing sessions etc. fitness is very important but the technique should be more of a priority since you can do your own fitness but you can't teach yourself the technical aspect

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I don't believe that I haven't used a traditional as in fitness gym since I was 16. Any fitness I do is on my own or in class and yeah sure martial arts should help your fitness but it shouldn't be the main focus unless it's something like aerobic boxing sessions etc. fitness is very important but the technique should be more of a priority since you can do your own fitness but you can't teach yourself the technical aspect
isn't kick boxing aerobic ? That really my point, I find my class to easy from a physical aspect, that's because I work out on fighting enhancing exercises in between. But then I'm to old to go into to kickboxing as the level of fitness required to be good at that is well above what's obtainable at my advanced age and il spend all my time being knocked out by 22 yo

techneque with out associated fitness is border line useless. Against a much fitter attacker

Last edited:
OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah everyone seems to think KM is this ultimate martial art now but from I've seen of it there's really nothing in it that I haven't seen anywhere else. That's not saying it's bad but i don't think it's this super best ever martial art a lot of people make it out to be
The reason I like it as a form of self defense is that it teaches you how to go for the weak points of the body, which is something that isn't taught in any other martial art. Obviously if I were a skilled kickboxer or MMA'er I could apply those skills and throw in some eye gouges and the like, but in KM lessons you actually go through the motions of attacking those areas and so it helps develop that response to be instinctual. Also KM is taught in most military/police forces around the world, so I don't see how you can argue that it isn't (at the very least) ONE of the best forms of self defense.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I think you mean "which is something that isn't taught in any other martial art that I am aware of."
Pardon me if I don't know every single martial art, but I have KM lessons are nearby, and lets face it, I'm not gonna learn to gouge eyes and knee crotches in kickboxing. You're right though of course, I'm sure many self defense systems teach dirty play.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pardon me if I don't know every single martial art, but I have KM lessons are nearby, and lets face it, I'm not gonna learn to gouge eyes and knee crotches in kickboxing. You're right though of course, I'm sure many self defense systems teach dirty play.
And TMAs

On a more serious note, you can be forgiven for not knowing every art of course, blanket statements however can be tricky.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reason I like it as a form of self defense is that it teaches you how to go for the weak points of the body, which is something that isn't taught in any other martial art. Obviously if I were a skilled kickboxer or MMA'er I could apply those skills and throw in some eye gouges and the like, but in KM lessons you actually go through the motions of attacking those areas and so it helps develop that response to be instinctual. Also KM is taught in most military/police forces around the world, so I don't see how you can argue that it isn't (at the very least) ONE of the best forms of self defense.

The police military thing is a red herring. There is no indication they fight any better than anybody else.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The police military thing is a red herring. There is no indication they fight any better than anybody else.
If it wasn't a good form of self-defense, they wouldn't teach it to those who are frequently in dangerous hand-to-hand combat situations.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well just because the police learn it doesn't mean it's good. Do you think any police officer is allowed to eye gouge someone or kick them in the groin or rip someone's ear off....no of course not if they did they'd be sued.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well just because the police learn it doesn't mean it's good. Do you think any police officer is allowed to eye gouge someone or kick them in the groin or rip someone's ear off....no of course not if they did they'd be sued.
If someone were attacking the police officer then yes, I imagine the officer is allowed to defend themselves. Kicking someone in the groin to neutralize them is a hell of a lot less grounds for lawsuit than shooting them in the face wouldn't you agree? Also KM requires less training to be effective; I can't imagine the police force would want to spend years training their officers kung-fu or any other form of martial art (although I'm sure a kung-fu master could beat someone up as thoroughly as a KM practitioner), as with KM the moves are rather basic and usually go: "Block the attack, counter ASAP, go for the weak points and stay aware of your surroundings." It's a lot easier to remember a simple set of instructions such as that rather than attempting to apply a complex MA that (typically) wouldn't condone the most effective takedowns due to dirty play.

EMT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I just started training Krav Maga once a week on top of going to the gym three times a week (thats all I can manage with school/work), and so far I'm liking it a lot. However, I feel like there's not much actual sparring during the lessons, as it's mostly technique and (even with a cup) I can't bring myself to actually hit my partner with force when practicing. I did an introductory lesson in kickboxing, where there was a lot more actual punching and contact involved, but I felt that Krav Maga was better for self defense, due to the efficiency of the strikes. My question here is is there is any way to improve my striking power and accuracy while sticking with Krav Maga? I'm not sure all this theory will help me if I'm ever in a bad situation and throw a well timed punch at the right spot but with hardly any power due to never actually practicing swinging at full strength. By the way, I don't have immediate access to a punching bag or gloves (the place I do Krav Maga uses handheld mats mostly) so I'd prefer to not have to spend loads of cash on training equipment.

Yes, the problem with krav maga is that you can't really train some of the most extreme techniques with a sparring partner which makes the whole training not very effective.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the problem with krav maga is that you can't really train some of the most extreme techniques with a sparring partner which makes the whole training not very effective.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I've never done a MA before, so my punches and kicks are not trained nor strong, so I feel that doing a lot of KM theory won't help me in the long run. That's why I want to start doing some kickboxing on the side to get better striking power, so that I can use the KM theory with the KB strength should I ever need it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone were attacking the police officer then yes, I imagine the officer is allowed to defend themselves. Kicking someone in the groin to neutralize them is a hell of a lot less grounds for lawsuit than shooting them in the face wouldn't you agree? Also KM requires less training to be effective; I can't imagine the police force would want to spend years training their officers kung-fu or any other form of martial art (although I'm sure a kung-fu master could beat someone up as thoroughly as a KM practitioner), as with KM the moves are rather basic and usually go: "Block the attack, counter ASAP, go for the weak points and stay aware of your surroundings." It's a lot easier to remember a simple set of instructions such as that rather than attempting to apply a complex MA that (typically) wouldn't condone the most effective takedowns due to dirty play.
You probably shouldn't make assumptions about styles you have no understanding of. And actually there are a large number of styles that target the weak areas and as for the police thing. There are people here who know better than me @Tez3 maybe you could clarify. I could be wrong but I believe if a police officer kicked a guy in the groin or eye gouged them and caused serious damage the officer could easily get sued or even prosecuted. Hell a bouncer In my area was put on trial for sweeping a guy who was attacking him to the ground, not even striking him just a sweep

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You probably shouldn't make assumptions about styles you have no understanding of. And actually there are a large number of styles that target the weak areas and as for the police thing. There are people here who know better than me @Tez3 maybe you could clarify. I could be wrong but I believe if a police officer kicked a guy in the groin or eye gouged them and caused serious damage the officer could easily get sued or even prosecuted. Hell a bouncer In my area was put on trial for sweeping a guy who was attacking him to the ground, not even striking him just a sweep
Police officers and soldiers can find themselves in tricky situations where they have no choice but to fight back and fight dirty. If a cop had a gun to his head (not saying it happens often but I'm sure it happens), I don't think he would get any criticism for using KM to disarm the attacker and neutralize him, however the means. Just like cops could get sued for using their firearm when not necessary, there are some cases where they must use it to protect their own lives, in which case they do not get sued because it genuinely is in self-defense. Krav Maga is just another weapon in the cop's arsenal, and should s/he ever need it, it's a good skill to have.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Police officers and soldiers can find themselves in tricky situations where they have no choice but to fight back and fight dirty. If a cop had a gun to his head (not saying it happens often but I'm sure it happens), I don't think he would get any criticism for using KM to disarm the attacker and neutralize him, however the means. Just like cops could get sued for using their firearm when not necessary, there are some cases where they must use it to protect their own lives, in which case they do not get sued because it genuinely is in self-defense. Krav Maga is just another weapon in the cop's arsenal, and should s/he ever need it, it's a good skill to have.
Okay

Latest Discussions