Krav Maga teacher kicked my butt literally

Kravguy

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been to a few Krav Classes and let me say they are intense and very "contact" oriented, if you find a few shots on the butt hard to take..perhaps Krav isn't for you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Joab, I have to say I’m with jks9199, Chris Parker and Brian R. VanCise here.

You were telegraphing and he may or may not have seen any other way to correct it,

Also xJohnx hit the nail on the head here

A part of martial arts is to leave your ego at the door.

My last Xingyiquan sifu beat the heck out of me sparing and it was damn cool I was not embarrassed or upset. He yelled at me and everyone else form time to time in front of everyone because we were not listening to what he was saying about locking our breathing to our strikes.

My Taiji sifu (half my size and 20 years older than me) has thrown me on the floor in front of everyone to show me what I was doing wrong and he will not do that to anyone else in class and it is not because he wants to embarrass me it is because he wants to really teach me the style that no one else in class wants to learn beyond form and I am damn glad he does that

My Sanda sifu was prone to tell you exactly what he thought about what you were doing, things like, that was very good, that was horrible, why are you wasting my time, etc. You want to talk telegraphing, he was upset I was telegraphing my strikes while training strikes with trees and the repetition began to hurt a bit and the comments were not all that nice but when I got it right the comment was worth it.

Bottom-line these Chinese sifu types will kill you with kindness if they care.. and apparently American Xingyiquan sifu types will do it too :D

And if you messed up on tech you WERE going to get hit. It is the nature of the beast and different teachers have different approaches to how they will get their message across some good, some bad but in reality if you mess up in class and get kicked in the butt you at least remember what happened and you may not make the same mistake again and it is a whole heck of a lot better than messing up out in the real world and getting beat with in an inch of your life or worse.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd be more worried if I turned up to a new art as a novice and the instructor COULDN'T kick me in the ****!

I EXPECT it from my superiors, literally or otherwise.

If I train with someone in my regular art who is higher ranked than me but less skilled I am not happy about it, and even though I don't say or do anything about it (or desire a higher rank myself by default), it does leave a nasty taste in my mouth.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your former instructor might be a little crass in how he tries to get a point across but if you have ever been in the military then what happened with you is really nothing of consequence, as I understand your statements.

Your thoughts about suing over this seems rather weak so maybe Krav, a primarily military dominated system of self defense, is not the one for you.

Good luck with finding a new school.

My .02 only

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To the thread starter, can we have more info? or are you satisfied with the answers given..

For some odd reason im intrigued LOL, (considering the sueing comment) -was it a kick on buttock or a toe kick that entered Coitsville? :)

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am against humiliation........ But it is true that hard lessons have always been part of martial arts training

In my time training I have been:

Sucker punched in the face by the instuctor of a school
Winded numerous times, usually as a joke by instuctors
Called out cos I wouldn't train with half the skin missing on my foot
Forced to train while hungover, till i threw up
Kicked in the *** many times for many different reasons

And the list goes on, as I am sure it does for everyone here. However I never felt humiliated I just took that I was learning a fighting system from fighting men.

This is one of the issues tha Krav has, it is sometimes seen as a tough fitness class rather than a fighting or self defence class. I guess if I was doing step areobics and the teacher kicked me in the *** I would be upset

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am against humiliation........ But it is true that hard lessons have always been part of martial arts training

In my time training I have been:

Sucker punched in the face by the instuctor of a school
Winded numerous times, usually as a joke by instuctors
Called out cos I wouldn't train with half the skin missing on my foot
Forced to train while hungover, till i threw up
Kicked in the *** many times for many different reasons

And the list goes on, as I am sure it does for everyone here. However I never felt humiliated I just took that I was learning a fighting system from fighting men.

This is one of the issues tha Krav has, it is sometimes seen as a tough fitness class rather than a fighting or self defence class. I guess if I was doing step areobics and the teacher kicked me in the *** I would be upset

What happend there?

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
I attended a national training session in an inside football hall. The floor was like sandpaper to train on. In all fairness I was told to bring taekwondo shoes bit forgot and trained regardless. Twisting for kicks etc on the surface took the skin off my foot I was off for a couple of weeks

On my return I was welcomed with fairly merciless jibbing about being a wimp

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joab

Can you explain why you feel being kicked up the bump is humiliation?

We're people pointing and laughing after?

I ask because you have used that phrase a couple of times, and though not pleasant I don't really understand what is your humiliating about the situation. Perhaps if you add detail people will see your concern more clearly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is Joab going to reply seven years after posting?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I attended a national training session in an inside football hall. The floor was like sandpaper to train on. In all fairness I was told to bring taekwondo
shoes bit forgot and trained regardless. Twisting for kicks etc on the surface took the skin off my foot I was off for a couple of weeks

On my return I was welcomed with fairly merciless jibbing about being a wimp

Ah the good old Astro Turf I guess. Had a few skinned knees playing football on that stuff.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the good old Astro Turf I guess. Had a few skinned knees playing football on that stuff.

I've train in a few leisure centre halls where the floor has an anti slip surface, you end up , if you don't wear shoes, with the skin off your feet as Finlay says.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We train in rooms with vinyl tile flooring. Over concrete.
Yes, it's every bit as horid as it sounds.
It's either very slick or very sticky.
You definitely learn to unload the weight from your support leg when you're pivoting...

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've train in a few leisure centre halls where the floor has an anti slip surface, you end up , if you don't wear shoes, with the skin off your feet as Finlay says.

Yeah sure, played some badminton at the leisure centre where my gym is. It was a bit slippy when a bit over extended. For a minute I thought Finlay was talking about football for mo lol. Anyway, the last time I wanted to train barefoot, I was told not to for hygene reasons. Which is obviously fair enough. Concrete floors though uncovered, are just as harsh wearing trainers, and slippy when some bits are shiny close to the walls.

Latest Discussions