Krav Maga class

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So had my first class at the new club and I enjoyed it.

It was a very good turn out and first the guy introduced himself and spoke about the styles history. Then we did a generic warmup.

Then moved into technique where we were starting from a semi passive stance (feet together hands up) and he showed us how to palm strike and how to get rotation without taking a fighting stance. We hit some pads palm strikes for a while then did a drill where we hit with multiple strikes and got behind your partner.

We then got the kick shields and practiced front kicks to the groin then put the 2 combos together.

Next we moved onto a self defence against a right hand punch. It was basically step off the line parry down the punch, pin it to them and throw a punch of your own to his face.

We then did a defence from passive stance (feet together hands down) parried the punch and delivered a kick to the groin.
Lastly we put the 2 techniques together and focused on exits first blocking then hitting and moving away then having them follow us for the second.

I liked how basic it was. There's no big fancy stances or flashy stuff just basic stuff you'll use in a fight. I enjoyed it would love to go again but going to have to see how finances work out as my jobs a bit unstable at the moment but had a lot of fun

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So had my first class at the new club and I enjoyed it.

It was a very good turn out and first the guy introduced himself and spoke about the styles history. Then we did a generic warmup.

Then moved into technique where we were starting from a semi passive stance (feet together hands up) and he showed us how to palm strike and how to get rotation without taking a fighting stance. We hit some pads palm strikes for a while then did a drill where we hit with multiple strikes and got behind your partner.

We then got the kick shields and practiced front kicks to the groin then put the 2 combos together.

Next we moved onto a self defence against a right hand punch. It was basically step off the line parry down the punch, pin it to them and throw a punch of your own to his face.

We then did a defence from passive stance (feet together hands down) parried the punch and delivered a kick to the groin.
Lastly we put the 2 techniques together and focused on exits first blocking then hitting and moving away then having them follow us for the second.

I liked how basic it was. There's no big fancy stances or flashy stuff just basic stuff you'll use in a fight. I enjoyed it would love to go again but going to have to see how finances work out as my jobs a bit unstable at the moment but had a lot of fun

It sounds like a very practical class indeed. I'm wondering though how much power you can generate from their "semi passive" stance compared to a normal fighting stance. Also how did it feel doing drills and footwork from that stance rather than a more traditional fighting stance?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like a very practical class indeed. I'm wondering though how much power you can generate from their "semi passive" stance compared to a normal fighting stance. Also how did it feel doing drills and footwork from that stance rather than a more traditional fighting stance?
Well hitting the pads you still got power in. There was rotation involved. It's hard to explain but it's the same kind of motion as reaching over your shoulder I guess. Honestly felt fine felt like I could move well no problem at all. They do have a fighting stance as well. I think those strikes are more defensive than offence e.g a palm to the chest to get them to back off.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The semi-passive stance is supposed to represent more of a "I don't want to fight you" stance, whereas the fighting stance is the "we are ready to throw-down" stance...if I am thinking of the correct semi-passive stance. The design is to practice attacking from a non-escalated stance, so as to catch your opponent by surprise. You may lose a little explosive power with your hips, but you gain element of surprise. Again, that's if I am thinking of the same semi-passive stance that you are referring to.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The semi-passive stance is supposed to represent more of a "I don't want to fight you" stance, whereas the fighting stance is the "we are ready to throw-down" stance...if I am thinking of the correct semi-passive stance. The design is to practice attacking from a non-escalated stance, so as to catch your opponent by surprise. You may lose a little explosive power with your hips, but you gain element of surprise. Again, that's if I am thinking of the same semi-passive stance that you are referring to.
It's basically a standing normal with your hands up and from there you can shoot out the palm strikes from that position

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's basically a standing normal with your hands up and from there you can shoot out the palm strikes from that position

Cool. Same stance. Another benefit to that stance is that if there are any witnesses if you are attacked, they see your hands up in a way of "please leave me alone" vs your fists up to fight. That can be beneficial for you if police are asking witnesses what happened.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool. Same stance. Another benefit to that stance is that if there are any witnesses if you are attacked, they see your hands up in a way of "please leave me alone" vs your fists up to fight. That can be beneficial for you if police are asking witnesses what happened.
Yep they said that in the class as well

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We practice our self defense skills in TKD from the ready stance, and move into a fighting stance as the drill progresses.

I.e. defending a punch, we start at ready position (passive) and step into a fighting stance as we block and counterattack.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Going back for my second class tomorrow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

If I ever feel threatened by someone I usually go into a modified cat stance with most of my weight on my back foot and my hands in a warding off position. Then again I'm much more comfortable kicking than punching.