Kosutemi Seieikan - Weapons

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Then why do these chucks keep cracking the back of me skull?

It's an advanced conditioning technique. Now be quiet and finish your exercises.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The chucks are just checking to make sure they don't have weak spots in them. They do this by hittinfg objects harder then themsleves most of the time.
Best of luck on you upcomeing test (which ever belt it may be)

Many folks find that there are other martial arts practictioners where they work.. It is the ones that don't run around bragging about their expertise that you seem to get the most information from when you discover who they are. enjoy the comradeship you may get from these people and the knowledge they may give you

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, TS. Recieving a belt has been delayed largely because I wanted to spend the $40 for AKJU membership on Christmas and, just as much, because I wanted to observe the organization some before I aligned with it as a member. I'm already at yellow level, so I've been told, and will recieve that belt when I cough up the dough, The next real test will be blue.

Honestly, the chucks are searching for this 'weak spot' because I'm doing a reverse shoulder pass and I know I shouldn't be practicing that, yet. I suspect it's some form of reminder that I shouod practice what I should practice and not extend myself beyond that. Maybe, they're magic chucks?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Egg, have you had any progress learning the moves to the first Seiei Kan chuck kata?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Hey, Egg, have you had any progress learning the moves to the first Seiei Kan chuck kata?

Actually, no. Danny is pressing me toward learning the Bo ichi; so, no chucks (sanctioned) at this time. I'm still working on basic passes, stops and spins on my own, though. When the time comes, it should just be a simple act of placing them all together in kata.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, do you still want to know the moves of the kata or wait? I started typing them all out but haven't finished. Videoing it would be easier maybe.

How's Bo Ichi going? I took down the link to the vid file because it was eating up space on my site.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
So, do you still want to know the moves of the kata or wait? I started typing them all out but haven't finished. Videoing it would be easier maybe.

How's Bo Ichi going? I took down the link to the vid file because it was eating up space on my site.

I would love to have the moves. I would so stun Danny :) Bo has not begun....holidays are too close and classes are spread farther apart d/t that fact. He wants me to take him with me when I purchase the weapon, too, and I haven't done that, yet.

I copied locally the Bo kata you had posted. So, I thank you for that.

:asian:

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I copied locally the Bo kata you had posted. So, I thank you for that.

Oh, sure. You're welcome. ... Now please remit $24.95 to my personal account. Major credit cards accepted.

I'll see what I can do with the chuck kata. I'll say right now that it's not one that we spent a lot of time on in our class. You might want to verify the moves with someone before the Grand Unveiling to your sensei.

We've always tried to keep every move of every kata the same through generations but we were so removed from the Org for a long time. Something may have changed.

For example, our opening move is to swing one chuck in a regular clockwise circle while chanting "Woo-Woo! Woo-Woo!" ... You might want to double-check that move.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
For example, our opening move is to swing one chuck in a regular clockwise circle while chanting "Woo-Woo! Woo-Woo!" ... You might want to double-check that move.

It doesn't matter if that's right or not, I'm doing it :)

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took my new bo into class last night. It recieved Sensei's approval as it is a traditional, solid, hefty bo.

He began to teach me Bo Ich. I had some questions and we worked on it a bit; then, upon saying, 'That kata's kind of boring', he began to teach me Shishi no kun dai.

In the research I've done, I see that the kata was developed by Taira Shinken, a student of Funakoshi Sensei, and, in Issinryu, it is an advanced kata.

Anyone else have experience with this kata?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
No, afraid not. Is this an "official" Ko Sutemi bo kata or simply borrowed in?

Given what I've read about it, so far, definitely borrowed.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That'd be cool :) Thanks! Last night, one of our bbs whipped through Bo Ich and, so, I am practicing that as well, thanks to your other vid; which, by the way, is still right on.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
thanks to your other vid; which, by the way, is still right on.

Really? I'm almost surprised. lol

As I mentioned way back, the vid was only a walk-through to look at a few moves. The techniques, particularly the footwork wasn't tight in the vid I made.

Still, I'm glad to see Bo Ichi (as I remember it) resembles the official version more than, say, a flag routine from the high school band camp.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the bo positions and moves are correct, cleaning up the footwork will be a breeze. I need to look closer at it and see if I can discern the grip changes that occur.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then, it's just me; because, my hands keep getting tangled up.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Grip the bo in front of you, holding it parallel to the ground. Both hands are in the standard position: shoulder-width apart with thumbs toward each other on the inside gripping the bo.

Other than the bow-in/bow-out where you release the bo with your left hand while bowing, your hands don't move. At least this is how I know it to be.

oh sorry, I nodded off there while thinking about this fascinating weapon kata.

Latest Discussions