Korean terminology question... another one.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, did I get this right?

너는 최고야 = na neun choi no ngya

I have been attempting to learn to read hangul, so I apologize if I butchered that.:)

Daniel

WELL - as long as you're looking for advice. First thing I notice about your romanization is that you put too many spaces. That is an american thing. We think in terms of words, not character sets. The thing is, Koreans write in terms of words too....but their characters are organized by syllables. So take 너는 최고야. 너는 is one word....that is the you're part. The 너 is the word you and 는 is the modifier for a state of being. So when it is romanized, you would say naneun. 최고야 is also another word, which is the best part. 최고 means "the best" and the 야 is another to be kind of modifer. Those are kind of confusing and to be honest, I dont' fully understand them. There are a lot and the honorifics affect them. SO, that part would be written ch'oegoya.

Second part is that the character ㅇ serves two purposes in the Korean language - one, it is the "letter" for the "ng" sound...but that is only when it is at the end of the syllable set. Two, it is the "null set." You can't start a syllable set with a vowel sound...so any character whose sound starts with a vowel will really start with a ㅇ. This is one of the VERY VERY few exceptions in Korean.

Lastly, be aware of romanization. There is no one way to do it and there is no correct way to do it. You know that b/p; j/ch; t/d, etc are interchangeable and even vowel sounds can be written different ways oe/we/wae; eo/ae; eu/u etc etc etc.....there are two accepted sets of rules for doing it. The McCune-Reischauer and the Revised Romanization of Korean styles. Do some wikipedia reading on them and it will help you out....but to read and to translate to romaja, you have to understand both. Then it is best if you pick one and try to stick to it. I go back and forth....hehehe and probably need to stop doing that and pick one!!! :) That is why some people's Romaja looks funny. Ever seen someone say taegwondo? That's why. Even the word itself, Taekwondo....how many Americans write it Tae Kwon Do? With the caps and everything? To a Korean that is REALLY silly. It would be the equivalent of an american writing Mar Tial Talk or Com Pu Ter or Ma Ga Zine (yeah, I just picked stuff from my desk). It is a hard paradigm to change and again, I'm guilty of it sometimes. I also do it sometimes because American's don't get it if you don't. BUT, like I said, to a Korean...that's just silly, why would you break up a word and throw in random capitalization??

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
... I really hate to do this to you, my friend, but.....

Well, Nage is thrower and Tori is receiver. Uke is the person who receives a technique. Uke is much more common than Tori (in my limited Aikido experience)....so I'd go with Uke over Tori.

So badgi and deonjigi is probably the best way to go.

Uke is the "attacking" partner, or the one who recieves the technique (literal translation: to recieve), tori is the performer of the technique (literal translation: to take, as in to take control), and nage simply means to throw. So the pair are Uke and Tori, rather than Uke or Tori for one particular side of things....

Within Aikido the terms Uke and Tori are used, if weapons are involved, it often changes to Uchidachi and Shidachi (striking sword and performing sword respectively), although I have seen things such as Uchidachi and Shijo (performing jo - 4 foot stick) within schools such as Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu, so the "Uchi" and "Shi" sections are constant, with the weapon occasionally changing from system to system, depending on what is being used.

Or have I just confused things again? We were doing so well....

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... I really hate to do this to you, my friend, but.....

Uke is the "attacking" partner, or the one who recieves the technique (literal translation: to recieve), tori is the performer of the technique (literal translation: to take, as in to take control), and nage simply means to throw. So the pair are Uke and Tori, rather than Uke or Tori for one particular side of things....

Within Aikido the terms Uke and Tori are used, if weapons are involved, it often changes to Uchidachi and Shidachi (striking sword and performing sword respectively), although I have seen things such as Uchidachi and Shijo (performing jo - 4 foot stick) within schools such as Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu, so the "Uchi" and "Shi" sections are constant, with the weapon occasionally changing from system to system, depending on what is being used.

Or have I just confused things again? We were doing so well....

No problem at all. I had a grand total of about 3 weeks of Aikido before work and life got crazy and I had to bow out....so my understanding is VERY limited. also, I was reading Wikipedia for what they meant....plus, that always confused me! :)

doesn't change much for me, the translations work, just that you should use the words for Uke and Tori as opposed to Nage! Thanks!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's one: do badgi and kajigo use the same Chinese characters as uke and tori?

Daniel

Yes, but the trick is finding the PURE Kanji. I've seen Uke and Tori written in Hiragana also. Make sure that you have the Kanji and they are the same. The confusing part is the Kanji is called Hanja or Hanmun in Korea....same characters, different pronunciation.

Latest Discussions