Korean terminology question... another one.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Uke, Nage, and Ukemi.

Someone had told me some time back that uke = jap-gi and nage = bat-gi. Is this correct.

And what is the Korean term for Ukemi. I know that guruke is rolling, but ukemi encompasses more than just rolling.

Thank you,

Daniel

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uke = 받기 (v. conj receive)
Nage = 던지기(v conj throw)
Tori = 가지고 (v conj take)
Ukemi = 受け身 - Passiveness??? - 던져지기

Ok, these are just notes - this is a work in progress. Not as easy as I thought! The first three were pretty easy, but ukemi doesn't have a direct translation, so I'm trying to find something in hanja that will express the idea in the same way....that is kind of tough though.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to help you out, there MBuzzy, ukemi is made up of two terms, "Uke", to recieve, and "Mi", also read as "Do", refering to the body. So Ukemi means to recieve with the body, hence it refering to rolling, breakfalling, etc. Hope that helps.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And what is the Korean term for Ukemi. I know that guruke is rolling, but ukemi encompasses more than just rolling.

Kuruda is the verb to roll....so kurugi is a pretty literal translation of that word. I'm not sure if it gets to the same idea though. I'll research that one too...I mean, in America we use the term "rolling" as a slang word to mean basically grappling on the ground...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to help you out, there MBuzzy, ukemi is made up of two terms, "Uke", to recieve, and "Mi", also read as "Do", refering to the body. So Ukemi means to recieve with the body, hence it refering to rolling, breakfalling, etc. Hope that helps.

Interesting, this can help! Do you have the Kanji or hiragana for just mi? And for Do are we talking do as in "way"? That might be an easy way to do it, just say receive with the body in Korean!

Well, I have to get to bed, I'll work on this more tomorrow!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(This is the problem with a language made up of only two dozen or so syllables, they all mean twenty things each!)

No, the "Do" here is the same as in Kendo, when they call out the target they are hitting. It literally means "trunk", as in the trunk of the body. "Do" meaning "way" is also pronounced "michi", and literally also means "street" or "path". In the old days, some of the less-prestigous, rough and ready schools would be refered to as Michi Dojos, or Street Schools. Not "real" ones.

A search should give you the kanji for it, I can't post it here, each time I try it doesn't come out.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sorry, should have noticed earlier. You already have the correct kanji for "mi" there, the third character. Same as in "Sutemi", usually translated as "sacrifice", it is more literally the giving up of your body. The real confusion comes in when you see body written as "Tai", which is the entire body, rather than the trunk, which is "Mi/do". Hmm, confusing....

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah, I was being lazy. :) I've learned to never try to "deconstruct" a word from another language unless you know what you're doing. In Japanese, I do not.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Uke = 받기 (v. conj receive)
Nage = 던지기(v conj throw)
Tori = 가지고 (v conj take)

Ok, these are just notes - this is a work in progress. Not as easy as I thought! The first three were pretty easy, but ukemi doesn't have a direct translation, so I'm trying to find something in hanja that will express the idea in the same way....that is kind of tough though.
So let me see if I am reading this correctly:

받기 = bad gi
던지기 = deon ji gi
가지고 = ka ji go
던져지기 = deon jyeo ji gi

Is that the correct pronunciation?

Daniel

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So let me see if I am reading this correctly:

받기 = bad gi
던지기 = deon ji gi
가지고 = ka ji go
던져지기 = deon jyeo ji gi

Is that the correct pronunciation?

Daniel

Yep, those pronunciations are right. Sorry about that, I know I am usually a little more thorough, but I've never heard them used in Korean, so I have been using some translation resources to go between multiple languages. This one isn't as easy...My Chinese is ok....My Korean is good....but my Japanese is well....non existant!

Hold off on the translation for Ukemi, what I have there is just a note to jog my memory, I'm not sure that is the right word.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks!

So Uke is 받기 = bad gi.
Nage is 던지기 = deon ji gi
and
Tori is 가지고 = ka ji go

Am I reading that correctly? And which is more appropriate in hapkido? Nage/Deon jigi or Tori/Ka ji go?

Daniel

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, the word 身 translates to 몸 the best I can tell. So, as much as I hate doing this....if you combine 받기 and 몸, it is probably the best way to approximate the idea. So 받기몸 would mean something akin to receiving body or body receives. But mashing words together doesn't always work....so I need to find a Korean to test this out on! :) I'd go with that for now, since as far as I can tell, there is no literal translation. Ok, I have some work to do, then I'll come back and tie this all together.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks!

So Uke is 받기 = bad gi.
Nage is 던지기 = deon ji gi
and
Tori is 가지고 = ka ji go

Am I reading that correctly? And which is more appropriate in hapkido? Nage/Deon jigi or Tori/Ka ji go?

Daniel

Well, Nage is thrower and Tori is receiver. Uke is the person who receives a technique. Uke is much more common than Tori (in my limited Aikido experience)....so I'd go with Uke over Tori.

So badgi and deonjigi is probably the best way to go.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
너는 최고야! (You're the best) hahaha, it is also done by hitting the rep button! :)

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, did I get this right?

너는 최고야 = na neun choi no ngya

I have been attempting to learn to read hangul, so I apologize if I butchered that.:)

Daniel

Latest Discussions