Korean term for kobuto...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll work on it when I get home. I don't know off of the top of my head, but the first thing I'll do is look for the Kanji/Hanja - that's ALWAYS the first step in these cases if you want an accurate translation.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh....Well, this isn't going to be that hard. 古武道, I know right off the bat the second two characters are mudo.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not going to believe this, but Kobudo in Korean is Komudo - 고무도.....simple, huh?

MasterPistella

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I'm kind of late with this, but I think it's actually moo gi do. Reverse the first two characters. J P Choi teaches ki moo do (the way you have it written) & he has that translated as the way of martial energy. Plus when C S Kim talked about weapons divisions in his tournament it was moo gi.

MP

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry I'm kind of late with this, but I think it's actually moo gi do. Reverse the first two characters. J P Choi teaches ki moo do (the way you have it written) & he has that translated as the way of martial energy. Plus when C S Kim talked about weapons divisions in his tournament it was moo gi.

MP

Sir, do you have any of the Hanja for that? Particularly the moo gi do. Without the hanja, it is difficult to determine what he is exactly referring to. The moogido is throwing me off here. Now, if you are wanting to say 武氣道 (moogido), that would mean martial energy way....I don't know which is more correct to say moogido or kimoodo, but either way, it is a different translation than komudo.

As for the Kimudo, ki is the Korean equivalent of the chinese concept of ki and literally means energy. 기 is the Korean translation (hanja)of the chinese character 氣. So if you wanted to say Kimudo, it would be 氣武道. Different word, different meaning.

Kobudo, the Japanese term, basically means old martial way. komudo (Korean) means the same. SO - when translating kobudo, you have to make the decision - do you want a direct translation, meaning "How do you say 古武道 in Korean?" - then the answer is komudo. If you want a term that some Koreans may use for energy, well then quite frankly, there are several. Kim CS's way of saying it may differ from other Koreans. I have heard of other styles which are roughly Korean weapon styles as well. It just depends what you're trying to get at.

MasterPistella

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, I just read your Hanja wrong. Second part of first word I looked at wrong. Gi instead of Go. But what I was saying was for kobudo (used for weapons training correct?) It's Moo Gi Do (every Korean I have asked agrees) As for translating it directly the way you are, yes, you are correct. My bad.