Korean swords that aren't katana analogs

Discussion in 'Korean Swords and Sword Arts' started by Daniel Sullivan, May 27, 2011.

1. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Which brings me back to the OP: Korean swords, and by extesion, I suppose, sword arts pertaining to their use, that are not katana analogs: I know that there were a good number of Korean swords historically that were not katana analogs.

But most every Korean sword program that I have seen makes use of a sword that looks identical in every meaningful way to a katana. When I shop 'Korean sword', most of my searches at least come up with Haidong gumdo swords... that are essentially a Wae Geom (Japanese sword).

Or is this like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Daniel

2. cdunn

cdunn 2nd Black Belt

TSD, as handed down by Hwang Kee, contains no weapons forms. Any sword or kobudo like hyung have been grafted on later, from any variety of sources.

3. Namii

Namii Green Belt

Not to get off topic but it takes around 900 or so....
    I was a little bored on guard duty in iraq one night.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sabunimfrank64

Sabunimfrank64 White Belt

As a ksw black belt the sword form/hyung is called Jung gum hyung straight sword form the movements are aimed at body's joints knees ankles neck wrist the combat applications are there

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. thanson02

thanson02 Green Belt

From what I have seen, Japanese swords are easier to get a hold of, so many Korean arts just use them.

6. thanson02

thanson02 Green Belt

Also, it is hard to find a "culturally pure" sword type from the Koreans (or anything that is culturally pure in any Asian country). The biggest difference I have seen with Korean swords as opposed to Japanese is that the swords themselves are forged differently (but produce equivalent results to Japanese swords in quality), the blades are a little wider, and they are a little thinner The overall blade ends up being lighter. Also, depending on the type of sword, some of the single edge blades are shorter as well, but only by a few inches. That, and Korean swords have a different physical ascetic look to them with the hand guard, hilt, and scabbard.

I know in the system I train in (Hwa Rang Do), we have forms for single edge swords and double edge swords. We also have techniques for various sword uses (forward grip, inverted grip, double sword, etc) as well as hoshin sul for defense against single edge sword attacks while both armed and unarmed.