Korean Sword Form

TkdFav

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone one,
I'm new to this forum. I'm 24, I've studied TKD and Danzan Ryu JJ for about 12 years, as far as rank goes.. I stopped following the belt system a few years ago. I just recently started to train in korean sword. I own my own restaurant, so finding time to train and someone to teach is really hard.
I learnd a form a few days ago from someone who studies TSD. he said it is a "newer" form because the first sword form in TSD seems to be too much to take in. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows any websites were i might be able to find this form. I want to make sure I have everything right, so i don't study it the wrong way. It starts of in a foward directions 180 degree turn going back the same way you came and then to the left and then right (an upside down 'T' formation) I'm not sure if this describes many form or not, but any help is appreciated

Joe

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TkdFav,

Do you know exactly what style of sword you are learning? There are a few. I am very new to the Korean sword as well, but I am studying Haidong Gumdo specifically.

What you just describes sounds exactly like Ssang Soo Gumbup Il Bon, which is the first Haidong Gumdo sword form.

When going forward, you should be stepping with only the right foot and executing a Chungmyon Peagi (straight or center cut, from behind head to waist level), you do this 3 times, then turn and go back three times, but this time stepping with each foot on the way, then turn left, and on alternating stepping feet, do Chwa Paego (left center cut), U Paegi (right center cut), then Chungmyon Paegi, then turn 180 and go back doing the Chwa Paegi, U Paegi, and Chungmuon Paegi again. Does this sound about right?

OP
T

TkdFav

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what style it was.
It was a downward slash, the left, the right, the up to the left (block/slash) down right straight thrust. turn 180 downward slash. the a face thrust and 2 downward slashes each one is down from hopping from front to back.
My terminology is the best, still studying up on it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok - not the form I was referring to. BUT, if you go to You tube and search for Haidong Gumdo forms you will find Ssang Soo Gumbup 1-11 videos there. I'd look through there. Good place to start at least.

If it IS Haidong Gumdo, you won't find much in the way of online resources.....there really aren't any out there beyond some terminology and descriptions of the style. I have found a FEW pics of some techniques and descriptions, but nothing like what you're looking for.

If I were you, I would start by asking your Sa Bom Nim what style of sword you are learning and what the NAME of the form is. That would help A LOT in your search!

Good luck!!

Latest Discussions