Korean ROC Bayonet Demonstration!

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good stuff, though it did look like a TKD demonstration with the bayonets thrown in. Not a bad thing, just an observation

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

hwarang_do_adam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
they think this is fantisy land where they can just spin around and not get stabbed by me and my batonet.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i think it would be funny to see all that spinning on a battlefield
Well, then, it's too bad you weren't able to see what these guys got up to in the Viet Nam war. The Viet Cong were terrified of them.

The ROK marines did real TKD, not the Olympic foot-tag stuff. Bone- and joint-breaking stuff. Search this forum, a few members have posted links to articles about how these guys performed in battle in Nam. They literally gave no quarter.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ROK have alway's been a very tough and formidable elite military group and their track record in Viet Nam does bear that out. I would not take a demonstration based to impress as anything other than that. These gentleman train very, very hard by all accounts of anyone who has ever had any contact with them. I have heard first hand stories of their skill in Viet Nam by Veterans who were around them.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, then, it's too bad you weren't able to see what these guys got up to in the Viet Nam war. The Viet Cong were terrified of them.

The ROK marines did real TKD, not the Olympic foot-tag stuff. Bone- and joint-breaking stuff. Search this forum, a few members have posted links to articles about how these guys performed in battle in Nam. They literally gave no quarter.

Amen my brother speaks the truth

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dead right, howard!
icon14.gif

In both the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the ROK Tiger commando units and Marine units were dreaded by the Communist troops. The Viet Cong field command in fact issued an order to their fighters, quoted in a 1966 issue of TIME magazine and reprinted in Stuart Anslow's recent book on realistic applications for the ITF hyungs, to avoid confrontation with ROK infantry at all costs, specifically because of the South Koreans' skill in the form of TKD that they were trained in, and their relentless ferocity in applying it in H2H combat.

No, I definitely would not want to be on the other side of a fight with the guys in that video clip. Thanks for posting it, Brian!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dead right, howard!
icon14.gif

In both the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the ROK Tiger commando units and Marine units were dreaded by the Communist troops. The Viet Cong field command in fact issued an order to their fighters, quoted in a 1966 issue of TIME magazine and reprinted in Stuart Anslow's recent book on realistic applications for the ITF hyungs, to avoid confrontation with ROK infantry at all costs, specifically because of the South Koreans' skill in the form of TKD that they were trained in, and their relentless ferocity in applying it in H2H combat.

No, I definitely would not want to be on the other side of a fight with the guys in that video clip. Thanks for posting it, Brian!

As always you put the ! point ot this. Excellent job Exile

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ROK have alway's been a very tough and formidable elite military group and their track record in Viet Nam does bear that out. I would not take a demonstration based to impress as anything other than that. These gentleman train very, very hard

Yes, anyone who thinks TKD has only a 'sport' aspect or is ineffective as self-defense needs to be introduced to a Korean military veteran! They train hard and effectively.

Isn't there a story in Rick Atkinson's The Long Gray Line relating to this--a U.S. soldier killed by a single kick to the head by a (North) Korean soldier while in the DMZ? Am I remembering correctly?

hwarang_do_adam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the vietnam and korean wars were a long time ago. this is not a jackie chan movie if i see you jump in the air and spin im going to take you down. real combat is not like that.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the vietnam and korean wars were a long time ago. this is not a jackie chan movie if i see you jump in the air and spin im going to take you down. real combat is not like that.

The guys you're talking about are trained in the expectation that they may very well have to go up against close to one and a quarter million North Korean troops, and that the literal physical survival of their country depends on them. I've had graduate students from the ROK who'd done their military service; their boot camp conditions make ours look like a paid holiday.

And you imagine that you have a better idea of what 'real combat' is like than they do?

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, anyone who thinks TKD has only a 'sport' aspect or is ineffective as self-defense needs to be introduced to a Korean military veteran! They train hard and effectively.
My master was a H2H instructor while serving in the Korean military during the early 60s. You are right when you say they train hard and effectively.

hwarang_do_adam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
who do you think that the us troops have been trained to go up against, you think that the us military does not train its troops as good as south korea. I have been in combat sir so i do know what it is like. And in their boot camp did they halfto hump threw 76 miles in 3 days with 100 pounds on their backs threw the mouintans did they get c.s. gassed did they have a drill instructor beat them for not getting 100% dressed in under 1 minute did they live off one M.R.E for three days the list goes on and on so dont even for one second say that my boot camp was a paid holiday.