Korean for "Application"

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, Boon Hae and Hae Sul are the two leading candidates thus far. Anybody else have any more information? I am quite sure that some of you are well-versed in Korean (mine is a little rusty because I haven't used it in years :D). StuartA? Tellner? Exile? Shesulsa?...Anybody? Why am I hearing crickets :lol:?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A native speaker/friend wasn't sure but thought it might hae seok. He's checking. I'm all ears for the answer from anyone with knowledge.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
-- taken from the book itself and explains the difference between Boon Hae & hae Sul.

Regards, Stuart

-------------------------------
If you do not speak Korean, you may be wondering about the title of this book – ‘Ch’ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul’; so I will explain how the title came about briefly here.

The name of the system this book addresses is known as the ‘Ch’ang Hon’ system of Taekwon-do. ‘Chang Hon’ was the penname of General Choi, Hong Hi and the patterns or tuls of this system are often referred to as the ‘Ch’ang Hon tuls’. This distinguishes them from other patterns taught in other systems of Taekwon-do, for example; the Taeguek forms, the Palgwae forms or the black belt patterns of WTF/Kukki Taekwondo.

The teaching of the applications to the Karate techniques contained in the katas is known as ‘Bunkai’, the Korean equivalent is the word/s ‘Boon Hae’ or ‘Boonhae’. I have come across a couple of definitions of the word ‘Bunkai/Boon Hae’, these are:

• To divide and explain
• Taking apart and dismantling

Originally the title was going to read ‘Ch’ang Hon Taekwon-do Boon Hae’ or dividing/ dismantling and explanation of the Ch’ang Hon/ITF patterns.

However, ‘Boon Hae’ is simply a direct translation of ‘Bunkai’ (if the same characters were used by Koreans) but the Korean meaning for ‘Boon Hae’ is different from the Japanese meaning of ‘Bunkai’. ‘Boon Hae’ literally means ‘to fall or break apart’ where as ‘Hae Sul’ means ‘analysis in-depth’, in other words a detailed critique or in-depth study of the ‘Ch’ang Hon’ patterns – which is what this book really is. It is not just a case of taking apart the movements within the patterns and giving them a meaning or interpretation, but an in-depth study of why they are laid out in the way they are, how this came about and a detailed examination of each movement, the techniques and how they inter-connect with regards to the applications themselves. Of course, after reading the book, learning and then teaching or showing the applications, they are or can be termed ‘Boon Hae’, or the teaching of applications.
------------------

So, AFAIA the correct term for the teaching of applications (instead of researching them) is Boon Hae,

Regards,

Stuart

PS. For those interested it also breaks down the Hangul on the books cover and expalins that as well.[/B]

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, Stuart! So the word that we're looking for is Boonhae - at least as far as a translation of the word Bunkai.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, Stuart! So the word that we're looking for is Boonhae - at least as far as a translation of the word Bunkai.

Yes, I think so.. as the word Bunkai is the norm for japanese arts and Boon hae is the Korean equivilant, even if not 100% correct in phrase!

Stuart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boon Hai is the correct word for Bunkai, which is what my GM says. the translation is almost perfect. He also say Hae Sul means going deep inside the core of the tuls for a full understanding of all techniques. Hope that helps.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
the translation is almost perfect.
As i said in my original post, its not perfect but its as close as we have to having a Korean word for it. Its misses out the 'explanation' bit like the Bunkai equivilant and simple means "to break apart".

He also say Hae Sul means going deep inside the core of the tuls for a full understanding of all techniques. Hope that helps.
The same as I put it, in different words I believe.. thats good to know, thanks.

Stuart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As i said in my original post, its not perfect but its as close as we have to having a Korean word for it. Its misses out the 'explanation' bit like the Bunkai equivilant and simple means "to break apart".

The same as I put it, in different words I believe.. thats good to know, thanks.

Stuart

Yea I was typing while you posted I guess, just was getting back to the question when my old GM answerded it for me. Sometime it takes him a little bit, he really hates e-mails and I can only undersatnd every other word.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea I was typing while you posted I guess, just was getting back to the question when my old GM answerded it for me. Sometime it takes him a little bit, he really hates e-mails and I can only undersatnd every other word.

Thats cool.. at least it confirms its the correct term to use.

Cheers Terry,

Stuart

rick_tsdmdk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Korean I have always heard is Bun Seok, as far as being the similar phrase for bunkai.