Kong Soo Do

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what I said. In Korea, the term Kong Soo Do is not an all encompassing generic term, but a specific term for a specific kind of art, which is focused on competition.

They even hold membership in the Olympic Karate movement, so they are internationally recognized.

http://www.wkf.net/index.php?option=...pper&Itemid=54

Regarding genericness or a lack thereof, the fact that one group in Korea uses the term does not make it any less generic, especially since they are itentifying themselves with karate, which is generic. However you want to pronounce it, kongsudo and karatedo are the same term: 空手道.

Given the myriad of ryu that make up karate, a Korean pronunciation of the same kanji doesn't make it anymore specific.

Perhaps adding a prefix to differentiate one from the other (as with Kukki Taekwondo, Chang Hon Taekwondo, Songahm Taekwondo or as with Isshin Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate, Goju Ryu Karate, etc.) might be a good idea (could be as simple as _______kwan Kong Soo Do), but otherwise, lineage of the OP not withstanding, the term itself is certainly generic.

Daniel

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps adding a prefix to differentiate one from the other (as with Kukki Taekwondo, Chang Hon Taekwondo, Songahm Taekwondo or as with Isshin Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate, Goju Ryu Karate, etc.) might be a good idea (could be as simple as _______kwan Kong Soo Do), but otherwise, lineage of the OP not withstanding, the term itself is certainly generic.
Daniel

We came to the same conclusion last night as we discussed this topic. So we started a simple thread just to discuss the naming of the Kwans within or under the IKSDA banner.http://excoboard.com/martialwarrior/148245/1799965

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, started a new thread entitled "Kong Soo Do". If you have any factual responses to my posts in other topics regarding this subject, please place it here.

What "bugs" me is people who put forth erroneous facts out in the public. I spent a lot of time doing historical research, real research, and I guess on some level it is offensive to see people who have not done as much work put out erroneous opinions as facts.

The only person who seems a bit bent out of shape is you. You are the one getting all mad, and have turned to attacking me instead of responding to my facts with facts of your own.

As for nothing from the web, I saw your webpage. Your statement is incorrect. I even see stuff that I posted on the web on your webpage. There is also information posted by friends of mine on the web on your webpage. I know this because we were the ones who initially posted the information on the web.

Which various older books did you consult on Taekwondo and Hapkido? I have a pretty large book collection, chances are that I have all the books you are talking about above. But I am just interested in the korean books. Did you happen to reference any of GM LEE Kyo Yun's books? He has wrote several over the years.

Any from Korea?

I'm not pouting, although you seem to be getting more and more upset the more I introduce facts to the discussion. Instead of attempting to attack me personally, why not respond to the facts I have presented with facts of your own? That way, perhaps the discussion can lead to a meaningful place.

It is in poor taste and a lack of decorum to start a post specifically about another member. We can agree to disagree. Further, sometimes there isn't a right answer; instead there are only perspectives.

Peace.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We came to the same conclusion last night as we discussed this topic. So we started a simple thread just to discuss the naming of the Kwans within or under the IKSDA banner.http://excoboard.com/martialwarrior/148245/1799965
Is your school part of the IKSDA? I was under the impression that it is not, but I may have missed that part of the discussion, given that it spans multiple threads.

Daniel

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is in poor taste and a lack of decorum to start a post specifically about another member. .

It wasn't about a particular member. It was about the art and name Kong Soo Do, which is still being used in Korea.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regarding genericness or a lack thereof, the fact that one group in Korea uses the term does not make it any less generic, especially since they are itentifying themselves with karate, which is generic.

The group in Korea is identifying itself with the Olympic Karate movement. It is a specific thing, not generic, in much the same way that USAT and WTF identify specifically with competition Taekwondo. So in that sense, in Korea, the use of the term Kong Soo Do is specific, and not generic, even though from your perspective, looking at the character themselves and not at its usage in Korea, it may be generic.

By the way, there is also at least one other association in Korea that actually does use the term "Karate" in its name, as opposed to kong soo do or tang soo do. Perhaps your argument or position would better fit what that group is doing, since they are actually using the name Karate, even though it is headquartered in Korea.

I also have books in the Korean language entitled "Aikido" (written in hangul). Japanese and Chinese terminology is used in Korea for the martial arts.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your school part of the IKSDA? I was under the impression that it is not, but I may have missed that part of the discussion, given that it spans multiple threads.

Daniel

Yes sir, we are a member.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm telling you...Bait, Tackle and Kung Fu Emporium! Now that sings :)
Actually I was talking to a friend of mine who is a sushi chef and we toyed with the idea of a Sushi & Karate...Chef special comes with 2 sashimi pieces, 1 California roll, and 2 free lessons.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually I was talking to a friend of mine who is a sushi chef and we toyed with the idea of a Sushi & Karate...Chef special comes with 2 sashimi pieces, 1 California roll, and 2 free lessons.

*maps distance to Aurora, IL*

SOLD :D

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also have books in the Korean language entitled "Aikido" (written in hangul). Japanese and Chinese terminology is used in Korea for the martial arts.

Out of interest, how do they write Aikido in hangul? There doesn't seem a direct translation for the "Ai" sound.

Do Koreans consider Yudo to be a Korean version of Judo then? I understood that to just be a reading out of the same hanja characters in Korean? If they use Japanese terms I wonder why they wouldn't just call it Judo (as they have hangul to be able to write that).

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Out of interest, how do they write Aikido in hangul? There doesn't seem a direct translation for the "Ai" sound.
I suspect that they render it 아기도.

Do Koreans consider Yudo to be a Korean version of Judo then? I understood that to just be a reading out of the same hanja characters in Korean? If they use Japanese terms I wonder why they wouldn't just call it Judo (as they have hangul to be able to write that).
They do and it is. Like kumdo and kendo, and while the term kumdo is also applied to non-kendo sword arts, most of the time it is romanized as gumdo or geomdo when discussed in English even though in hangeul, both are spelled the same.

The only reasons for spelling karate or aikido phonetically (the way we do) are either that there are already established arts and/or groups using the Korean readings of the hanja or that the school in question is teaching a non-Korean art and is using the language and terminology of the nation of origin, as is done with Asian arts in the US.

Daniel

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

Korean, Japanese and Chinese mostly read the same Hanja, they just pronounce it differently.

A Korean who reads Hanja would say "Hapkido" when they read 合氣道, a Japanese reader would say "Aikido" for the same characters.

If you are asking if Korean's write out the sound "Ai Ki Do" in Korean Hangul, I don't know, I never saw it that way, but I have not seen much on Hapkido either.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect that they render it 아기도.

Close. They add one more character, the second one, which looks like the first above except without the short horizontal bar in the middle of the vertical bar. A I Ki Do.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah OK, that's interesting. So 아이기도.

I think so. The third character might be the K type instead of the G type, with an extra horizontal line. Japanese pronunciation would be more k than g, vice versa for Korean pronunciation. So the hangul might reflect that. I need to go check.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It had better be some great sushi.. . I frequented a place called swordfish when I lived in IL, a good friend of mine lived in North Aurora, and it was his favorite Sushi place.

That said, GREAT IDEA!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't have much to add, but I would like to say this has been one of more informative thread discussions I've read in the KMA forum in a while!

Latest Discussions