Kodokan curriculum

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody out there have the Kodokan curriculum (rokyu through shodan) in document form, that would be willing to email it to me?

Respects,

Frank

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can check the USJA for their rank syllabus...I'm not aware or have seen anything directly from the Kodokan

OP
Henderson

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
You can check the USJA for their rank syllabus...I'm not aware or have seen anything directly from the Kodokan

I couldn't find anything resembling a rank syllabus at the USJA website. I have found some things from other organizations such as UJSF, USTKJ, etc. outlining requirements for shodan. These however, are very vague. They list one of the requirements for shodan as "20 throws from Gokyu no Waza". I am looking for something that breaks down the progression from rokyu to shodan, and lists the required material for each step. (ie...specific nage-waza, shime-waza, etc.)

Respectfully,

Frank

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Anybody out there have the Kodokan curriculum (rokyu through shodan) in document form, that would be willing to email it to me?

Respects,

Frank

Maybe this will be rather useful.. here is a quote from Mr. Don Cunningham's interview. He got his grades in Tokyo..

http://www.geocities.com/gbi_club/interview_don_san.htm

let me quote

What does the Kodokan looks like? Are there many foreigners training with you? How was the grading test conducted? Did they make it especially hard for foreigners, or does everybody got equal treatment?

I met many foreigners or ex-patriates practicing judo when I visited the Kodokan, but not at the other places for the majority of my training. Frequently, I was the only non-Japanese in most of the local and regional tournaments in which I participated in Japan. The gradings I received in Japan were at Batsugun Tournaments, special grading tournaments. Each grade would line up and compete. If you won five matches in a row, you received a grading to the next level. Unlike regular tournaments, though, there were no rest periods between matches. If you lost any before completing the fifth match, you were eliminated. After winning five, you were finished and the next two competitors would start. I can't think of any fairer or equal method of grading.

After reaching shodan, I had to perform Nage-no-Kata to receive the Kodokan license for 1st degree. For 2nd degree (nidan), I had to perform Katame-no-Kata. However, I understand they have relaxed these requirements now, so shodan only has to perform the first three sections of Nage-no-Kata, then the entire five sections for nidan. Only sandan is now required to perform Katame-no-Kata.

The Kodokan is a huge facility in the northern part of Tokyo. There are two main buildings, the original which houses the administrative offices and the newer building which includes several training areas, including a four tournament mat area on the fourth floor with observation seating from the top floor. There is also a museum and library on the third floor. Many of Jigoro Kano sensei's personal items are on display there. There are also dormitory-style living accomodations in the lower section.

Latest Discussions