Knockout game

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been seeing advice on morning shows on how to defend against such attacks. Most just make me facepalm.

What's your plan?

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
Self awareness should be prevelant in any persons self defense strategy first and foremost......

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I've been seeing advice on morning shows on how to defend against such attacks. Most just make me facepalm.

What's your plan?

Plan?

Stay big and scary looking until the day I die? :lfao:

$23493_1312277499887_1619147818_724325_2566984_n.jpg

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't look like a target. In most of the clips I have seen of this "game", they run up behind someone and throw a wild punch. The target always looks oblivious to the fact that someone is running up behind them. I can only guess that these kids are choosing targets who don't look like they will see it coming, and who they can get away from easily after the attack.

So yeah, be aware of your surroundings, and also look like you are aware of your surroundings. They hopefully won't be running up behind you if they think you will catch them in the act.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just sucks that its come to this you cant go into the city and take your kids to a ball game or your wife to a nice meal without fear of someone running up and trying to knock you out.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just sucks that its come to this you cant go into the city and take your kids to a ball game or your wife to a nice meal without fear of someone running up and trying to knock you out.

Depends on the city I guess, but it's not like people are getting knocked out left and right.

I've lived in downtown Philly for most of the past 12 years and have never been attacked (knock on wood!). But of course, you do have to be aware. It always bothers me a bit when I see people walking around staring at their phones (or otherwise pre-occupied), oblivious to the city around them.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Advice and plans are always good, but it's the elderly I worry about most. Most of us here on MT train and are exposed to situational awareness. And, then there are the people that are just oblivious to things around them. My suggestion is to keep your eyes open for the innocent when you are out and about. Be prepared to intervene on their behalf by seeing situations from afar, like parking lots and the such.............

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awareness. Limit my trips to places where this occurs. Try not to stop the shrug/flinch reaction in situations where this might occur. Check out this video.

It seems as if some of the victims had some kind of warning, often in the form of someone running up. Other times, it seems as if there wasn't much warning at all. A shrug flinch could cause the blow to misland, preserving consciousness.

I'm also going to share the **** out of these stories.

http://beforeitsnews.com/u-s-politi...0-year-old-woman-kills-two-teens-2454582.html

Don't care if it's not true. These punks need to have a little respect for people and maybe the fear of someone packing heat will do it. Never underestimate the effects of a propaganda war!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awareness and not going anyplace "unarmed". Whatever I may be armed with may vary to accommodate local laws.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just thinking. A few years back in New York young guys were rushing at police and taking them down with a shoot. One of my friends was helping to teach LEOs defence against the shoot. Seems that this Knockout thing is the next craze.
:asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing that sucks now I just saw on news they are targeting kids and moms.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"G",

As mentioned awareness is the first layer of self defense and this requires the person to have a healthy level of paranoia to scan and review the area constantly. If you watch a gaggle / flock of geese feeding on the ground there are watchers and guards These guards will eat while other watch, but they do not spend as much time eating as others. Sit and watch them for an hour or so.

So if traveling in a group the watchers / guards need to be aware. If traveling alone you need to be a watcher or guard.

Also being prepared. I mentioned this to a friend / student of mine who also teaches. When I leave the grocery store unless it is a small bag I can use as a flail I will take the cart with me. It is a shield to use to keep between people and myself.
NOTE: Elder999's plan could be mine as I am uglier than him and slightly bigger I think. I have almost 30 years fo martial arts training and teaching and I have over 30 years of street altercation and mindset. I still use all the tools at my disposal to pay attention and to give me an advantage.

While I could say I am big and large and could carry a firearm or a knife or other weapon to defend myself, with all my training and experience, and walk anywhere I want to go, I do not. I avoid bad parts of town. If I have to be there I give room and pay attention and watch. Eye contact. Acknowledgement that I know they are there and that I am not an easy target.

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
"G",

As mentioned awareness is the first layer of self defense and this requires the person to have a healthy level of paranoia to scan and review the area constantly. If you watch a gaggle / flock of geese feeding on the ground there are watchers and guards These guards will eat while other watch, but they do not spend as much time eating as others. Sit and watch them for an hour or so.

So if traveling in a group the watchers / guards need to be aware. If traveling alone you need to be a watcher or guard.

Also being prepared. I mentioned this to a friend / student of mine who also teaches. When I leave the grocery store unless it is a small bag I can use as a flail I will take the cart with me. It is a shield to use to keep between people and myself.
NOTE: Elder999's plan could be mine as I am uglier than him and slightly bigger I think. I have almost 30 years fo martial arts training and teaching and I have over 30 years of street altercation and mindset. I still use all the tools at my disposal to pay attention and to give me an advantage.

While I could say I am big and large and could carry a firearm or a knife or other weapon to defend myself, with all my training and experience, and walk anywhere I want to go, I do not. I avoid bad parts of town. If I have to be there I give room and pay attention and watch. Eye contact. Acknowledgement that I know they are there and that I am not an easy target.

Good points. When I teach self defense seminars I really stress (especially to women) to let predators know you are aware by utilizing scanning techniques. I also advocate them carrying a visible key chain with a mace canister or to keep a hand in their pocket book if they have one that reaches low. Talking on a phone is the worst thing you can do unless you absolutely have to......

If you look like easy prey a predator will choose you first.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

What's your plan?

Most of the posts on this website make me facepalm.

But aside from that, perhaps the most effective defense against this is to carry a gun and use it, like that father of the 6 year old girl who shot the boy who tried knocking him out.

Bernard Goetz had the right idea.

Latest Discussions