knife wound pictures

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
brian's thread on grappling with a knife got me thinking: too often we rely on they violent encounters going the way we think they are supposed to. i think it's instructive to look at some photos like this from time to time & ask yourself questions. could you still fight if you incurred this kind of damage? could you stand to inflict this kind of damage on another human being?

does your training prepare you for this?

***WARNING! VERY GRAPHIC CONTENT!***do not click these links if you have a weak stomach.

http://www.dlsports.com/knife_dangers.html

http://www.pathguy.com/~tdemark/0050.htm

http://www.trauma.org/images/image_library/caecal_evisceration.jpghttp://images.google.com/imgres?img...tbnw=150&prev=/images?q=stab+wound&um=1&hl=en

http://www.itim.nsw.gov.au/images/Stab_wound_with_extruding_bowel.jpg

food for thought.

jf

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I second that...those were graphic!

I know that anytime discussions like this come up, some always say that you can't replicate a real fight. I agree. I mean, if we did, we'd be short some training partners and probably be locked up somewhere. However, I think that we can, safely of course, come as close as we can, without the fatal injuries.

Now, I've never attended Peyton Quinns courses, but from what I've read about them, people say they're well worth the money, and create that mindset that we often face in a real situation.

I also think that using the right tools is important. While it may cost you some cash, I would rather spend the extra and get a solid training tool, and put my money on something that may not work. They're not going to kill you, but the no-lie blades and shock knife are 2 tools, that if used correctly, can make you more aware of what knife defense is/is not going to work.

The downside to these training tools is that if you do get 'cut', you probably won't react the same way as if it was a real blade. However, if I had to pick between the rubber training blade and the 2 that I mentioned, I'd go with the other 2.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes those are some Grapic pics and yes sometimes we need to look into pics like this to see the reality of what might be.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something to think about. Take a couple of your knife defenses in your system. I think its safe to say that if they stand there static, the defense can be completed. Now, have that 'attacker' start acting like a madman and I'd bet we wouldn't pull off much.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reality of real nasty violence is never pretty. In fact up close it is a lot worse than the pictures Jarrod linked to. Still in order to survive and go home to our loved ones we must prepare ourselves mentally to carry on and protect ourselves and our loved ones during a moment of violence. In the end it may not work out like we were training and that is something that we must take into consideration during our training. We must train at different times with the thought of having been injured, etc. While training the other day an IRT practitioner was talking about a friend of his whose adult child happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. How he got to that place was definitely his fault but then what happened was not. Needless to say a violent situation happened and he was stabbed eight times in the chest and abdomen area. This individual did not even realize that he was stabbed until many seconds into the encounter and the perpetrator of the stabbing was making a get away. What is also amazing is that he survived and after surgery is fine. The perpetrator was caught and prosecuted. This happened relatively close to where I live. Within five minutes or so. Violence can happen anywhere and all we can do is prepare and train to protect ourselves and our loved ones in case we are in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
icon6.gif

In the end I will protect myself so that I can go home to my loved ones.
icon6.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarrod possibly only you could have posted such graphic pictures and then said food for thought afterwards! :)

Still on blades but I don't know if people realise that still in this day and age with all the modern weapons available our soldiers ( US and UK) are still ending up fighting hand to hand with bayonets in Afghanistan? The blade is still a formidable weapon in both the right hands and the wrong.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, I've never attended Peyton Quinns courses, but from what I've read about them, people say they're well worth the money, and create that mindset that we often face in a real situation.

i used to own his book "put 'em down, take 'em out" & i'd say it was one of the most instructive books on knife fighting that i have come across. would love to train with the guy sometime.

Jarrod possibly only you could have posted such graphic pictures and then said food for thought afterwards! :)

Still on blades but I don't know if people realise that still in this day and age with all the modern weapons available our soldiers ( US and UK) are still ending up fighting hand to hand with bayonets in Afghanistan? The blade is still a formidable weapon in both the right hands and the wrong.

i read an article a little while back that many US troops were carrying not only their issued blades but tomahawks as well. which i think i friggin' awesome. according to the article, the trend instantly upped their intimidation factor among the locals.

btw, sorry for the incoherent opening line in the OP. i've been at work all night & am a little sleep-goofy.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used to own his book "put 'em down, take 'em out" & i'd say it was one of the most instructive books on knife fighting that i have come across. would love to train with the guy sometime.

i read an article a little while back that many US troops were carrying not only their issued blades but tomahawks as well. which i think i friggin' awesome. according to the article, the trend instantly upped their intimidation factor among the locals.

btw, sorry for the incoherent opening line in the OP. i've been at work all night & am a little sleep-goofy.

jf

Nah, I liked it!

There is something more intimidating I think about a knife (a reasonable sized one not little) than a gun sometimes. Perhaps it's something about someone who's willing to get up close and personal to kill you?

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, the first words that came out of my mouth on the first link was, "OOOOOOH man you know that hurt" The second link was, "Holy sh--!" and the last two I didn't have much to say about those. I don't know if I could continue any kind of defense if my back got sliced up, that bad. And the picture with the guys throat slit, I guarantee that I couldn't continue to fight.

My pops has always been the bulk of my training. He always told me, that if your going fight a guy with a knife, you may as well resign yourself to the fact that your going to get cut, Because YOUR GOING TO GET CUT! He used to tell me that the best you can hope for is that you won't get cut in a vital spot, and can kill or incapacitate the person before they kill you.

Yeah, I would like to believe that if it was knife on knife, that yeah, it wouldn't bother me to do the guy to save my life. However, I've never been in a knife on knife fight, so I wouldn't reaally know, how I would react, I would hope that common sense would take over, and I'd do what had to be done, to go home.:asian:

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, I liked it!

There is something more intimidating I think about a knife (a reasonable sized one not little) than a gun sometimes. Perhaps it's something about someone who's willing to get up close and personal to kill you?

i think it might be the fact that your chances of dying have gone up, but your chances of dying instantly have simultaneously gone down.

Well, the first words that came out of my mouth on the first link was, "OOOOOOH man you know that hurt" The second link was, "Holy sh--!" and the last two I didn't have much to say about those. I don't know if I could continue any kind of defense if my back got sliced up, that bad. And the picture with the guys throat slit, I guarantee that I couldn't continue to fight.

My pops has always been the bulk of my training. He always told me, that if your going fight a guy with a knife, you may as well resign yourself to the fact that your going to get cut, Because YOUR GOING TO GET CUT! He used to tell me that the best you can hope for is that you won't get cut in a vital spot, and can kill or incapacitate the person before they kill you.

Yeah, I would like to believe that if it was knife on knife, that yeah, it wouldn't bother me to do the guy to save my life. However, I've never been in a knife on knife fight, so I wouldn't reaally know, how I would react, I would hope that common sense would take over, and I'd do what had to be done, to go home.:asian:

those were pretty much my exact thoughts too.

jf

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
brian's thread on grappling with a knife got me thinking: too often we rely on they violent encounters going the way we think they are supposed to. i think it's instructive to look at some photos like this from time to time & ask yourself questions. could you still fight if you incurred this kind of damage? could you stand to inflict this kind of damage on another human being?

does your training prepare you for this?

***WARNING! VERY GRAPHIC CONTENT!***do not click these links if you have a weak stomach.

http://www.dlsports.com/knife_dangers.html

http://www.pathguy.com/~tdemark/0050.htm

http://www.trauma.org/images/image_library/caecal_evisceration.jpg

http://www.itim.nsw.gov.au/images/Stab_wound_with_extruding_bowel.jpg

food for thought.

jf

could you still fight if you incurred this kind of damage?

Some, depending upon the amount of damage. I have been cut on the arm and stabbed in the leg, and was able to still function. But they were very minor compared to the links shown.

could you stand to inflict this kind of damage on another human being?

In the heat of the moment, I have done what I need to do to survive.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pretty gruesome.

I know I'd have a hard time fighting after sustaining wound #2.

But seriously, it is good to consider whether I would really stab someone. Would you shoot someone? If it were life and death, there's no choice. If only one person's giong to live, I vote me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor has been stabbed a couple of times, not deeply thank goodness but he said he didn't realise he had until a fair bit later, he'd thought he'd just been hit.
A favourite thing over here is to stab you in the backside, it usually happens at football matches or if you get mugged. It's done firstly because it won't kill you and secondly because they hope you'll be too embarrassed to tell the police. They figure you'll most likely just patch it up yourself.

As for stabbing people, one thing I found was that you shouldn't stab randomly as you could hit the ribs and it jars your arm. Do try and aim.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
everyone seemed to miss that the wounds in photo #1 wrecked a perfectly good tattoo.

jf

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look at what someone did. All that extra work for those doctors. No, on a serious note, we all (MAs) need to make sure that we never get too big of a head that we think, "that could never happen to me. There is always more for us to learn! If we are honest with ourselves, those pictures could become one of us if we are not careful.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yikes...Those were some graphic pictures. I will definitely be harping on rule number one, if you can run - then run for it. I am going to be pushing up my knife defense scenarios for the horrible thought I cannot use rule #1.

I would hate to seen what a medieval battlefield looked like at the end of the day.

-Gary

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Look, however good, or practiced, or how "realistic"" your unarmed knife defenses are, you have to look at them like lottery tickets.

You try one, you scratch, you *MIGHT* win something, and losing while trying beats losing while trying nothing at all.

Realistically? there's no *sure* defense except by firearms, a longer contact weapon or by riunning like hell.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's something to think about. Take a couple of your knife defenses in your system. I think its safe to say that if they stand there static, the defense can be completed. Now, have that 'attacker' start acting like a madman and I'd bet we wouldn't pull off much.

Our style of Ju-Jitsu has a test in which the person giving the test (a person who has passed our knife fighting test) attacks the person exactly how descibed above. Nobody can pass the test if they are cut more than three times in a non vital area and if you are cut in a vital area you fail the test instantly. BTW, we use a hard rubber or wood knife coated with chalk or other "tell tale" substance and is one of the tests required for Shodan.
We also have a test for Shodan in which you are attacked by three people with weapons (any combination of knife, gun and stick) stationary or moving.

Is our standard too high? Perhaps.....but, in relationship to what is at stake I would say no.

What do you all think? I welcome any input you may have. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Latest Discussions