Knife Fighting

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Whoah! Are you saying that you had a knife in your checked bags, and they had a probelm with that? Not carry- on, checked bagage? And it was a knife, cutlery... a few peices of metal in a particular form and not anything that contained powders, accelerants, etc?

I have only traveled back to America handfull of times since 9-11. I had not noticed things were that nutty. Or am I missing the point yet again?

Don,

We can talk about my security stories. I always get lots of attention no matter what or who I travel with. ;) It is off topic, so I will relate else where.

As to the topic, it was a couple of years ago and the National Championship game was being played in Arinzona, and well I am a large male, traveling alone, no jewelry, with lots of wierd electronics for testing in vehicles, that may or may not have engine smells to them. As always, just people doing their job where I am concerned.

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
But what about the folders that are weapons? I am talking about the ones that have tanto blades that are good for thrusting.

I have two folders I carry at different times(i.e. I don't carry both at the same time).

One is a 'tanto' like blade--an Emerson CQC-6. The other is the big brother of your knife Don--the Spyderco Endura.

The spyderco, even with the partial seration, is much less threatening than the Emerson, but both are legal in my state. The blades are under 4 inches, and neither can be opened by centrifugal force alone(which according to Missouri law would be an illegal 'switchblade').

I used to only carry the Emerson because of the overall ruggedness, but have been carrying the spyderco more and more because it is quicker to deploy as the clip is on the 'end' of the handle(so if opened the blade would project down).

Although, I've seen a number of other folders I'd like to have these two do fine--however, when James William's Hissatsu folder comes out I'll definetely have to get one.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, I realize now that we are on a little mental disconnect. I have been thinking about avoiding trouble with the police. Most of you guys have been worried about remaining legal.

It must be nice to live in countries where the police can't search you without probable cause. And merely being a minority is not considered probably cause. And you guys don't have to worry about being deported even if you do nothing criminal.

I just realized that after years of living in Japan, my entire outlook is from a different perspective than you. Weird.

I still say that the ninja would carry around nothing that would raise eyebrows. Doesn't mater if it is legal or not. Even today, if a police officer sees that you defended yourself with something that was obviously meant as a weapon and not primarily as a tool, they might decide to investigate it as if you were looking for a fight.

As for me, even though knives like the Spyderco Civilian are legal, I know that if the police ever shook me down and found that wicked- looking blade they are just going to look and me and grin before saying, "Anta no kuchi Cho-kawaii." :uhyeah:

I don't need that kind of trouble when I live at the mercy of Japanese immigration.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Donny,

This doesn't seem like any traditional subject matter of any of the Kans to me... Why is it on the traditional forum?

What experience do you have with knife fighting?

What I have heard from Japan is you are pretty much weak and non-combative in nature.

What's the 'real' story behind Donny?

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ralph,
Please keep the conversation on-topic. Also, please keep the discussion polite.

Jeff
-MT Mod

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Something people that are carrying knives need to do is constantly practice drawing it and opening it(if it is a folder). I am lucky in that as a memeber of the armed forces, I can carry and conceal a folder or fixed blade while in uniform. I go a little overboard in some peoples opinion. I have 2 folders and one fixed on me usually. While I'm sitting at my desk I will often be flipping my folders open and closed.

Too many people get hung up on using the weapon. The weapon is still your body. You have to use your body to gain the distance and time to draw/open a blade, then worry about using it. You also need to train on when to use it. Sometimes it's a lot better to leave a folder closed and hit with it. Other times simply "popping" it open for the BG to see and hear is enough.

For an idea of the blades I carry, look at these two sites.

www.hideawayknives.com Makes a boshiken from hell.
www.striderknives.com These are what go with me on deployments.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
althaur said:
While I'm sitting at my desk I will often be flipping my folders open and closed.
Good point about practicing, glad to see I'm not the only one that does this at their desk... :D

Jeff

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Josh, Jeff,

You guys do that while you are at work? With live knives?

I could never get away with that. I try to maintain a low profile, very ninja like. I do my blade manipulation drills at hime, in front of the TV, with drones.

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have my own office. People still think I'm wierd though. ;) That may not just be from the knives though.

You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when I was teaching a combatives class with knives. I was showing them where to cut/stab if the person was wearing body armour to defeat it and kill/incapacitate the person. You would have thought that none of these soldiers realized they were in the military before. Sheesh!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
You guys do that while you are at work? With live knives?
Well, as a network admin at a small production factory, I inherited the office of the old HR manager, namely, in the basement. So, I don't have much company here when things are running smoothly. There's nothing down here, but me, my minion, and a conference room.

Jeff

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
You know, I realize now that we are on a little mental disconnect. I have been thinking about avoiding trouble with the police. Most of you guys have been worried about remaining legal.

With you being in Japan I can see where you are coming from. However, you had asked about how blades were viewed in the States, as you wouldn't live in Japan forever. Where I'm from having a pocketknife--even a clipit--is more common than not.

I am more concerned with survival first, and explaining myself to authorities second. If I ever had to use a blade I would have a damn good reason for it.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I work in a music store, and at night, I have to breakdown boxes. sometimes we get in those carboard standups, so I do my knifefighting then, with my Gerber. I love my gerber. I'm a gerber baby.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
althaur said:
I have my own office. People still think I'm wierd though. ;) That may not just be from the knives though.

I think it's mainly a result of the fact that you've been training with me the last few years. . .

You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when I was teaching a combatives class with knives. I was showing them where to cut/stab if the person was wearing body armour to defeat it and kill/incapacitate the person. You would have thought that none of these soldiers realized they were in the military before. Sheesh!

I think you'll find when you arrive in the 'Stan that folks will be much more appreciative.

Speaking of weird. . .At the request of a couple of folks in the dojo, tonight's class was on "long gun" (rifle/carbine/shotgun) disarming & retention. "Closed" class, current Booj folks only, no "tourists". For some reason people just came out of the woodwork tonight -- instead of about 15 there were around 40. There were people from other dojo there that I literally haven't seen in two to four years.

There also was a black-belt couple from Ohio who happened to be in town and dropped in, and were a little surprised when the rollup door to the street went down and the place began sprouting AR-15s and Mossberg pump shotguns. When I explained what was going on, though, and the procedures we were going to use in order to get away with committing gross safety violations, they were fine with it and had a lot of fun.

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
I think it's mainly a result of the fact that you've been training with me the last few years. . .

I think you'll find when you arrive in the 'Stan that folks will be much more appreciative.
I do believe you did corrupt me in some way. :uhyeah: I am looking forward to training with the troops that are over there. That should give me some new perspectives on our art that a lot of people don't take into consideration or are just never exposed to. Then again, some big mutated "operator" may show me where the holes in my training are. LOL

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I work in a music store, and at night, I have to breakdown boxes. sometimes we get in those carboard standups, so I do my knifefighting then, with my Gerber. I love my gerber. I'm a gerber baby.

So, if you get a stand up of new kids on the block I am sure you start drooling in anticipation. :)

Is your Gerber a folder? I just got a Gerber boot knife. Very nice double edged dagger. But there would be hell to pay if I got caught with it.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Gerber knives. I do like their Multi-tool, however. IMO it's a much better design than the Leatherman.

Jeff

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I suppose I'm the only one here who burns a few sticks of incense at my altar with the Benchmade logotype on it before going to bed every night? :fanboy:

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
No I have a benchmade Nimravus--why does that name sound familiar?

Also, my Emerson CQC-6 is actually the now defunct benchmade mass production model.

H

hicho

Warning - thread drift:

Dale Seago said:
There also was a black-belt couple from Ohio who happened to be in town and dropped in, and were a little surprised when the rollup door to the street went down and the place began sprouting AR-15s and Mossberg pump shotguns
Mr. Seago,

Small world - those were two students from our dojo. One of them was taking CEU's for his job, and he and his wife thought they'd stop in and train. They were going to try to catch up with Garth too, as they met in 97 at hombu.

Ohio's ccw laws recently changed. I am sure your class brought alternative views to weapons training as a whole.

Take care,

Jeff O.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
hicho said:
Warning - thread drift:

Mr. Seago,

Small world - those were two students from our dojo. One of them was taking CEU's for his job, and he and his wife thought they'd stop in and train. They were going to try to catch up with Garth too, as they met in 97 at hombu.

Ohio's ccw laws recently changed. I am sure your class brought alternative views to weapons training as a whole.

Take care,

Jeff O.

I seem to recall they did say they'd managed to train with Garth on Sunday, but don't hold me to that. :) In any case, it was a delight to meet them and have them train with us, and they seemed to be "getting" what I was trying to communicate.

Back on topic, sortakinda: Folding knives seem to be pretty common here, and certainly don't arouse comment from anyone. My own "everyday carry" is a Benchmade drop-point Griptilian; my wife's is the "Mini-Griptilian" (smaller version of the same knife). We like axis locks.

Fixed-blade knives (single-edged, double-edged, doesn't matter) are entirely legal to carry under California law as long as they're not concealed; so my other most commonly carried knife is a 13.5-inch blade handmade Scottish dirk, usually while I'm wearing a kilt (which anyone in my dojo can tell you is often):

Tartmhor%20Bare.jpg

Latest Discussions