Knife Defense/Disarm Video Clip

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Went back and watched it a bit closer -- one thing I don't like is the order in which the counter was done, and I'm always for getting both hands on the knife wrist.

I know it probably would all happen at about the same time, but the very first thing I would do is to get both hands on the knife wrist, and get the knife away from your neck! Even if you drop your chin to prevent a slash to the windpipe, the arteries on the sides of your neck are still exposed.

Then essentially you're just trying to escape -- duck your head and run, using the knife to help create an escape opening. This way the thrusts tend to go to the abdomen, rather than the neck, but that's still a viable target.

In the type of hold shown, it appears to be a "hostage" type hold. If it was going to be an assassination, usually an experienced knifer would grab the chin or head to expose the neck for the slash.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The maturity is so overwhelming. :shrug:

... The Pot calling teh N!NJ4 BLACK...

Awww, come back. We were just getting started! :jediduel:

I'm sure we have a lot to learn from each other. Why don't you guys drill such a scenario at your gym, using marking knives or pens, and then get back to us with alternative techniques.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
When we anaylize the anatomy of a knife fight, the bigger picture that we are failing to look at, is just the main key to survival. For the majority of the factor the human reaction and fight or flight, "animal instinct" will take over. Whether or not you have any training or not!!!

For those that train edged weapon response and instill it within their gross motor skill by training the numerous scenarios that one could encounter, will A) hightened the senses and awareness B) could prevent one from the worse possible situation (DEATH). All this with the hopes that LUCK is on their side, and the attacker is less than highly skilled knife practicioner.

There are many many things we have to consider when training a knife fighting scenario. You cannot recreate no matter how hard you try the emphasis on emotion, feelings, anger, hatred, or the intent to kill. When we train both parties are usually relaxed and although you may feel your picking up the intensity your EMOTIONAL INTENT TO KILL.

POINT A) If your getting killed and sliced up in a fair game of play in training.. IMAGINE the amount of danger you'll be in, if it was for real?

Having been on both sides of the knife in an edged weapon attack/self defense. From my own experience the 1 and only time I ever pulled a knife on someone w/ full intent on using it... I was freaking out.. NOT because I was scared of the situation BUT fear of killing that person knowing that I could do it all to easy and it would of been "BLOODY" so thank GOD, I chose to put the knife away and just take the *** beating by 3 guys rather than kill one or even possibly all of them, go to prison and or have the knife used against me had I dropped it, or accidently got it disarmed or whatever the case could of been. The truth is I am alive, we were all alive in the end.. Yes I got my rear end handed too me by 3 thugs but you know what I'd much of rather took that then the worse case scenario. That was 17yrs ago... my attitude has changed along with times as well.. Given I was in that situation today its hard to tell what I would do.

So in finishing, when you train knife work. One of the best things anyone could do as part of training the blade is 1st and foremost "LEARN the blade" Understand its power and what you can do with it. Learn to use it as a killing tool. Learn to use it as a fighting implement, learn it in the same sense you train to defend against it.. Instead of always trying to defend it, be the guy that feeds the blade and don't let the other guy use any defense.. When you understand that side of training the blade and master that.. Then the defense part will be easier to train and deal with.

Just more of my own 2 cents worth..

Good day