Knife Defense/Disarm Video Clip

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely :p

However, you wouldn't HAVE to do that, it can be gotten out of without the check. I have a hunch one can get out of it without using their hands at all if they are really good.

Yeah, someone could be good enough. I, however, hedge my bets :wink:

PS: I just showed a training partner a variation of the raised-arm elbow block defense while we watch some old Paul Vunak vids. Thanks for the motivation!!!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, someone could be good enough. I, however, hedge my bets :wink:

I wish I was that good! :D

PS: I just showed a training partner a variation of the raised-arm elbow block defense while we watch some old Paul Vunak vids. Thanks for the motivation!!!

Cool! I find scenario drills to be motivating as well. They are always fun!
icon14.gif

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I was that good! :D

Cool! I find scenario drills to be motivating as well. They are always fun!
icon14.gif

Hey, just a few points: while working this drill (considering that the attacker had the knife in his right hand, around your neck on the left side), raise the right arm behind his right elbow, reaching up and over to almost touch your left ear, so that he can't pull the blade across your throat. Pin the knife hand to the chest with your left hand. Lift the right arm and turn slightly, stepping with the left foot on his right foot. Stomp if you like. That way, he's not able to move that foot and he's less able to deal with your counter. Then, as you rotate under his right arm, drive the elbow of the left arm (the knife pinning arm) into his right hip joint, the Booj folks out there refer to this point as Koi, if I remember my Gyokko Ryu kyusho correctly. This will break his balance even more. Now, the underarm pass and transition to your counter (elbow bar, hammer lock, disarm&dispatch, etc) with no resistance.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While I agree with you regarding the training, I would consider that the attacker on the street does not know what you are going to do. In training the "aggressive" attacker can end up "anticipating" what is going to happen (because you just did it 5 times) and completely foil any success in learning a technique. So yes the attacker must be realistic in the attack (taking the defender's balance and trying to limit the defender's options), but at the same time, has to do it with the mind that he does not know what his defender is about to do (that is training for the attacker)..

I think it's pretty silly to assume that some guy "on the street" has taken your back, put a knife to your throat from behind, and "doesn't know what you are going to do."

I mean, if you think some half-retarded grandmother is out there walking around with a knife, and is going to put it to your throat from behind, then MAYBE, only MAYBE this kind of nonsense will work.

But a strong man, with aggressive intent to harm, is going to cut you and cut you and cut you.

Oh yea, I forgot, you're a deadly assassin of the shadows.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely :p

However, you wouldn't HAVE to do that, it can be gotten out of without the check. I have a hunch one can get out of it without using their hands at all if they are really good.

Yep, all they have to do is turn to deadly mist (that is, if they have their purple-yellow striped belt in ninjutsu yet) and the attacker just falls down dead with a look of surprise on his face.

Man, ninjas are ultimately powerful!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, just a few points: while working this drill (considering that the attacker had the knife in his right hand, around your neck on the left side), raise the right arm behind his right elbow, reaching up and over to almost touch your left ear, so that he can't pull the blade across your throat. Pin the knife hand to the chest with your left hand. Lift the right arm and turn slightly, stepping with the left foot on his right foot. Stomp if you like. That way, he's not able to move that foot and he's less able to deal with your counter. Then, as you rotate under his right arm, drive the elbow of the left arm (the knife pinning arm) into his right hip joint, the Booj folks out there refer to this point as Koi, if I remember my Gyokko Ryu kyusho correctly. This will break his balance even more. Now, the underarm pass and transition to your counter (elbow bar, hammer lock, disarm&dispatch, etc) with no resistance.

I think I have done something similar before. Pretty cool though!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But a strong man, with aggressive intent to harm, is going to cut you and cut you and cut you.

If his intent and motive is to cut, then they will cut. That is an entirely different situation for which there are ways of dealing with that too.

Nah, but I am not one of those knuckle dragging ham fisted oafs whose reaction to every encounter is to wreck everything like a bull in a china shop, either!

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If his intent and motive is to cut, then they will cut. That is an entirely different situation for which there are ways of dealing with that too.

If his intention isn't to cut then escape is always going to be really easy.

So why would you need a martial art technique for that???

That's really kind of humorous:

How to survive a knife attack from an attacker with no intent to cut you! And several other martial pearls from the Ultimate Power Team!

That doesn't make much sense, Ninja.

--

And for the record, the MMA guy went to ninja classes for a while and eventually had to admit to himself it was all quite ridiculous and useless.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level.

Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486.

Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile).

Thank you.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Super Moderator

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

How to survive a knife attack from an attacker with no intent to cut you! And several other martial pearls from the Ultimate Power Team!

Often people use weapons to encourage the victim to do something or to give them something they want. Another words, their goal isn't to use the knife or gun, it is a means to an end. It is used to intimidate and cause fear. They are want something else. This does not mean they will NOT use it, they most certainly could and one's life is definitely in danger.

For instance when doing training scenarios, one needs to understand just what the goal is. Is it a robbery, mugging, etc. Obviously, if someone only wants to cut you up, why even bother putting the knife to the neck and hold them hostage. Just walk up and cut, stab, and slice. If your using a gun, you can start shooting from a distance, never need to put the gun to their head and all those scenarios we see.

I agree with your premise that if their intent IS TO CUT YOU UP, it isn't likely they are going to come up and just put a knife to your throat.

However, whether the knife is against the throat and the attacker is shouting orders and wants something, or they come up and start trying to remove your kidney without a word, both are seen as a knife attack from a victim's point of view.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes, you get a moron who misses the entire point of training exercizes and displays their ignorance to the entire world in much the same way a Scottsman wearing a kilt in the traditional manner displays his twig and berries while standing on a roof in a high wind with a wicked updraft.

Bet that mental picture was entertaining there kiddies.

That doesn't make much sense, Ninja.

--

And for the record, the MMA guy went to ninja classes for a while and eventually had to admit to himself it was all quite ridiculous and useless.

If MMA was "all that' SEALS and Marines would be training in the octagon before heading to the sandbox. Last I looked, they weren't trainng in SPORT FIGHTING, boyo.

I think it's pretty silly to assume that some guy "on the street" has taken your back, put a knife to your throat from behind, and "doesn't know what you are going to do."

I mean, if you think some half-retarded grandmother is out there walking around with a knife, and is going to put it to your throat from behind, then MAYBE, only MAYBE this kind of nonsense will work.

Oohhh. Arrogance AND stupidity, along with a narrow and set world view. I can tell, you will go far. But don't leave yet, you haven't pissed in all the punchbowls yet, and some others still will want to play "wack a troll" with you.

Yep, all they have to do is turn to deadly mist (that is, if they have their purple-yellow striped belt in ninjutsu yet) and the attacker just falls down dead with a look of surprise on his face.

Man, ninjas are ultimately powerful!

And Mammals. You forgot mammals.

...& the MMA knucklehead ham-handedly enters the conversation as only he can...:rolleyes:

Sometimes the lumbering muscle head is useful.
When you need a wall knocked down, a car picked up, or something big and dumb to hide behind when the hot lead starts to fly.

The maturity is so overwhelming. :shrug:

The maturity is so overwhelming. :shrug:

I know you are but what am I?
Mrs. Phelps!!!! Bodi's peeing on the floor again!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MODERATION NOTE:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful - we do not art bash here. Please read the General Posting Rules.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I find it hard to believe that an adult in the 21st century is so black and white in their outlook. The knife wielder will either cut the throat immediately or never will? You cannot think of ANY other scenario?
Also, if you train the techniques discussed above, they can be used to counter a pretty hasty throat cut as shown in the video.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that an adult in the 21st century is so black and white in their outlook. The knife wielder will either cut the throat immediately or never will? You cannot think of ANY other scenario?
Also, if you train the techniques discussed above, they can be used to counter a pretty hasty throat cut as shown in the video.

Because then life is simpler, and maturity and wisdom isn't required.

Latest Discussions