Knife Attacks on British Police.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2666693.stm

Apparently, during a terror raid, one man (of three present) attacked the officers executing the raid with "a large knife" (from another report, the Associated Press' version). He killed one officer and wounded four others, including one who was wounded seriously and three with "minor injuries, including stab wounds and a broken ankle" (again from the AP version).

I don't know if the police had been given firearms for this raid or if they only had their usual billy sticks. I do know that a knife is a very dangerous weapon, and that if you're facing an opponent with a knife it's a very serious situation. One man killed one police officer, seriously wounded another, and injured three others. I don't know what the scenario was but it's a sure reminder how deadly a knife can be.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
They were not armed. Some of them did wear bullet proof vests. The one that died, did not.

They didn't even have the suspects in handcuff. One of the suspects grapped a kitchen knife and started the massacre.

The COPS were simply too naive! Hopefully they learned their lessons now.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I don't know what the scenario was but it's a sure reminder how deadly a knife can be.

Yeps!

Don't underestimate a weapon/person, no matter what. When you do the risk of damage is great.

/Yari

A

A.R.K.

One of the gentlemen I had the honor of traiing with was Peter Boatman a Chief Inspector with the North Hamptonshire PD in Great Britian. He instituted an edged weapon program in his PD that resulted in officer's injuries vs edged weapons dropping from 84% to 16%. He was Knighted for this by the Queen. I do not know how wide spread his system is in GB but it is gaining quite a following amoung U.S. LEO agencies.

He is now retired and consulting from what I understand and occasionally travels here to teach with our S.E.P.S.I. center. Good man, and a good system.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030414/ap_on_re_us/brf_smoking_ban_stabbing_4

A bouncer at a Manhattan nightclub died Sunday after he was stabbed in a brawl that police said began when he tried to enforce the city's new ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.

[The victim's] older brother, Tony Blake, said Sunday he blamed the death on the smoking ban. "I'm very bitter," he said. "It's a senseless murder because of this stupid cigarette law. That's the reason this guy was killed."

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84204,00.html

They fought, and 18-year-old Michael Colono was killed. The student, Alexander Pring-Wilson, admits he stabbed Colono but says he acted in self-defense, said his lawyer, Jeffrey Denner.

The infamous question: What if you defend yourself with a knife against an unarmed but aggressive opponent?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84204,00.html

The infamous question: What if you defend yourself with a knife against an unarmed but aggressive opponent?

It sucks, but it probably depends on how good of a trial lawyer you've got working for you, and how well the jury is (or is not) stacked in your favor.

Cthulhu

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
It sucks, but it probably depends on how good of a trial lawyer you've got working for you, and how well the jury is (or is not) stacked in your favor.

Cthulhu

Dont know the american legal system that well, but in Denmark if you defend yourself with a knife and your assailant has no weapon, you'll have to prove 100% that you were threaten on your life. And that can be very hard if your holding a knife (an equlizer(sp?)).

/Yari

Y

yilisifu

It's much the same in the U.S. One may use deadly force only to repel deadly force and that's going to be awfully tough to do if you're armed and the corpse isn't.....

V

vin2k0

Huge subject. Think the law is messed up myself... or at least in Britain it is. I don't know anything about laws in any other country.

V

vin2k0

Originally posted by moromoro
do you guys think that the increase in knife attacks in the UK is a direct result of the UK's gun laws

Don't really think they're related.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Student stabs eight classmates"

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7271219%5E1702,00.html

A STUDENT suspended by her college for apparent mental illness returned to campus and stabbed eight classmates in a dormitory, leaving three in critical condition, official media reported today.
[...]
The woman attacked her victims with a fruit knife about lunchtime, according to the official Xinhua News Agency. It did not identify her. Another report in the English-language China Daily said the woman picked her victims at random and stopped only when overcome by a campus security guard.

T

Titan Uk

Gun law in the UK are very strict but those who use them illegally can obtain one if need to.

Handguns are no longer allowed except black powdered one.

British police now have stab vest and other items for their protection but I believe that it is the lack of knowledge in relation to knife attacks at still allow so many of them to get injuried.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I assume this is basically the same as a bulletproof vest? I know it's sometimes possible to stab through those.