Knee Stepping

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "knee stepping" has many advantages.

- Always put your opponent in defense mode.
- Low kick is hard for your opponent to catch.
- If your opponent looks down, you can punch on his face.
- Your kick can also help you to close the distance.
- It forces your opponent to shift weight.

What's your opinion on this?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Constantly checking the knee as you step, sometimes followed by stepping down onto the opponent's foot? That's just rude and inconsiderate ...and very functional! So, I guess it sounds good to me. :)

When you check that knee, it not only stops a kick, but it makes it hard for the opponent to set their weight forward to punch and, even if not damaging, it's very distracting. A low kick that just diverts the defender's attention and can create an opening up high for your punch.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

yea but why just step, , if you have,contact with the knee, stamp on it, take the knee out, and that's the end if his fight

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen that technique in practice, I recall reading that muay thai had similar techniques for "climbing".

If someone lifts their leg straight I would feel it was a straight kick, so I anticipate move back or angle off.

It can be a useful check in the arsenal I think :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why aren't you jumping up off the knee and kicking instead of relying on a face punch. The really good MA movie star's doubles usually do a back flip too. Whats with you? ;) :p

Actually that would be a good technique. Thanks for the video.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many techniques are very easy to counter when you know they are coming. That's not a move most people would expect I think.

It's just like most other strikes being thrown...you just have to feel for them and know the techniques to block/counter, etc.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's jumy st like most other strikes being thrown...you just have to feel for them and know the techniques to block/counter, etc.

While true, I don't think most people would recognize that kick quick enough to do anything more that dodge if they were lucky. Dodging isn't really a counter imho. And although my comment about jumping up from that kick was somewhat playful, it is possible. You would have to be quick and sure that the opponent didn't move the leg and knee is such a way as to remove the base you would need to jump.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think knee attacks should be done more frequently. Penjak Silat and Panantukan have some great knee attacks beyond the standard low roundhouse kick. A lot of people focus is on head-hunting, which allows great openings for knee attacks. Thanks for posting the video.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have a variation of this in my bag of tricks, only I like to put my weight down on the opponents lead foot. It doesn't always work, but when it does it pins them just long enough to sneak in a lead hook.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I like low attacks to the knees. However, I like to attack the knee from an angle instead of straight on. If the guy just bends his knee as you step, you could probably stand on his knee.... it depends, but you are attacking into the strength of his knee... even the structure of the knee here helps him (unless he actually straightens his knee). If you change the angle and attack the knee with a kick or step from an angle that the knee does not bend in, the knee is much weaker and you will get better effect. Take the knee out sideways.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like low attacks to the knees. However, I like to attack the knee from an angle instead of straight on. If the guy just bends his knee as you step, you could probably stand on his knee.... it depends, but you are attacking into the strength of his knee... even the structure of the knee here helps him (unless he actually straightens his knee). If you change the angle and attack the knee with a kick or step from an angle that the knee does not bend in, the knee is much weaker and you will get better effect. Take the knee out sideways.
The side way knee attack usually is used in counter. Your opponent kicks you, you raise your leg to block it, you then side kick his standing leg at his inside knee joint.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The side way knee attack usually is used in counter. Your opponent kicks you, you raise your leg to block it, you then side kick his standing leg at his inside knee joint.

I used to attack the side of the knees during sparring because my opponents would often stand in a side stance. It wasn't allowed in most competition, but it was great for dojo sparring when I was first training to attack the knees (no contact of course). Most of the people that I was sparring with didn't know what I was doing because they never trained knee attacks (or defenses).

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While true, I don't think most people would recognize that kick quick enough to do anything more that dodge if they were lucky. Dodging isn't really a counter imho. And although my comment about jumping up from that kick was somewhat playful, it is possible. You would have to be quick and sure that the opponent didn't move the leg and knee is such a way as to remove the base you would need to jump.

I have a much simpler counter to this oblique kick and I'm going to punish them for throwing it even if they landed at medium power....because they usually can land it the 1st time...... and this **** can wreck knees pretty easily. If it were medium sparring, I'd still try to KO them. And if they're much better than me, then I would run down the clock by running around, haha.

Latest Discussions