Knee circles in warm-up

OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
@skribs - you seem overly defensive about this tbh.

Other people, ones who do this exercise, haven't attacked the topic with the same vehemence as you.

Is this because I've suggested there may be a problem with something your 'master' has told you to do? Are you offended because someone may have called his judgement into question in a roundabout fashion?

OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell you what everybody, I'm more than prepared to discuss this in a sensible fashion and will consider in seriousness anything about better ways to do this exercise from anyone with a balanced perspective.

What I will personally no longer entertain is "it's good because my all knowing master says it is and he's incapable of being wrong".

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@pdg I'm not defensive. I'm asking you to produce one piece of verifiable evidence that this is even a concern.

Our discussions in the threads regarding poomsae should be a clear indicator I question a lot of what my Master says and does. However, when I question it based on my opinion, I trust his way until I have more information. If I question it on verifiable fact, that's a different issue.

If it is in fact dangerous, this is something I would bring up to my Master, and stop doing it. As it stands, all I have is "some guy on the internet says I shouldn't do it based on something he says he heard from a friend who is a physical therapist." Can you see how that would be a hard sell?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Decades of experience seeing what happens to people when they do various things.

I ask again - can you provide me with one example of someone being injured as a result of this stretch? Can you provide me with one article that shows someone having been injured? A video, even a tweet saying "I hurt myself doing knee rotations."

Or is this something that someone said "this might be dangerous" with no data to back it up?
ok, your not supposed to have flexible knees, flexible knees are otherwise known as an ACL In jury. there any one who has done this and ended up with knees that move to the side more than they should,( which isn5 much at all) has injured themselves or more specifically made the knee less stable and more likely to collapse under your weight.

such knee exercises as you should be doing shouldnt stretch the knee, they should strengthen the ligiments so it doesn't move much other than backwards and forwards

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok, your not supposed to have flexible knees, flexible knees are otherwise known as an ACL In jury. there any one who has done this and ended up with knees that move to the side more than they should,( which isn5 much at all) has injured themselves or more specifically made the knee less stable and more likely to collapse under your weight.

such knee exercises as you should be doing shouldnt stretch the knee, they should strengthen the ligiments so it doesn't move much other than backwards and forwards

I wasn't aware this exercise did much in the way of stretching the knee. In my experience it mostly just releases tension in the knee joint after stretching or after straining the leg muscles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wasn't aware this exercise did much in the way of stretching the knee. In my experience it mostly just releases tension in the knee joint after stretching or after straining the leg muscles.
you called it a stretch above, if your not doing it to stretch the ligiments why are you doing it, because that's what it does. if it releasing tension it's a stretch, what else does stretching do .?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you called it a stretch above, if your not doing it to stretch the ligiments why are you doing it, because that's what it does. if it releasing tension it's a stretch, what else does stretching do .?

We do it during stretching. Some moves are done to get the joints moving, some are done to stretch the joint. When I pull my arm across my body, I'm stretching my shoulder. When I'm doing arm rotations, I'm just getting the shoulder moving.

This isn't one that stretches the knee, but that gets the joint moving.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do it during stretching. Some moves are done to get the joints moving, some are done to stretch the joint. When I pull my arm across my body, I'm stretching my shoulder. When I'm doing arm rotations, I'm just getting the shoulder moving.

This isn't one that stretches the knee, but that gets the joint moving.
it gets it moving in a direction it shouldnt move, which stretches and weaken the ligiments that should stop it from moving so far. I dont see how you can conclude otherwise, except it may mean your master is out of date.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it gets it moving in a direction it shouldnt move, which stretches and weaken the ligiments that should stop it from moving so far. I dont see how you can conclude otherwise, except it may mean your master is out of date.

Except it doesn't. The knee doesn't bend much side-to side at all. It's more that the knee bends forward-backward, and then the hips and ankles turn.

Since this thread, I've done the warm-up a few times and paid attention. My ankles and hips are turning, the bend in the knee is mostly straight, if not all straight.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The way he demonstrates the exercise at 0:25, yes that is dangerous. I've never seen this exercise performed that way before, where you stand with your legs apart and push the knees together. That exercise does look dangerous, and if that's how you're doing it, I agree it shouldn't be done.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except it doesn't. The knee doesn't bend much side-to side at all. It's more that the knee bends forward-backward, and then the hips and ankles turn.

Since this thread, I've done the warm-up a few times and paid attention. My ankles and hips are turning, the bend in the knee is mostly straight, if not all straight.
so your not doing knee circles then . as clearly if your are your moving the knee laterally , in which case cary on moving it backwards and forwards, but you need to stop saying knee circles are ok, knees are not designed to do circles

did you read the link I posted..?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so your not doing knee circles then . as clearly if your are your moving the knee laterally , in which case cary on moving it backwards and forwards, but you need to stop saying knee circles are ok

did you read the link I posted..?

I saw it after I posted.

The exercise I do (the same exercise in the video on the first page), the knee is moving in a circle. But it's not bending left-to-right. It's simply pointing left and right. My ankles and hips are bending, my knee is simply pointing.

If you point in front of you, and then move your whole arm so you point to your side, your hand isn't bending. Your shoulder is moving, and the rest of the arm is stable.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw it after I posted.

The exercise I do (the same exercise in the video on the first page), the knee is moving in a circle. But it's not bending left-to-right. It's simply pointing left and right. My ankles and hips are bending, my knee is simply pointing.

If you point in front of you, and then move your whole arm so you point to your side, your hand isn't bending. Your shoulder is moving, and the rest of the arm is stable.
so it's just hips then .? in which case why are you arguing .

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so it's just hips then .? in which case why are you arguing .

Because the post says it's dangerous, when it isn't.

It's dangerous if done wrong, I'll give you that. But if we're going to stop stretching based on doing the stretch wrong, we should just stop doing every stretch we do, because they're all dangerous if done wrong!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because the post says it's dangerous, when it isn't.

It's dangerous if done wrong, I'll give you that. But if we're going to stop stretching based on doing the stretch wrong, we should just stop doing every stretch we do, because they're all dangerous if done wrong!
it is dangerous your doing something else entirely, at least if your being honest with yourself you are and not just defending your master

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it is dangerous your doing something else entirely, at least if your being honest with yourself you are and not just defending your master

I am doing the exercise in the first video in the thread (post #4), which was determined to be the "dangerous" one by the OP.

I am not doing the exercise in the article you linked, which was determined dangerous by the expert making the video.

I agree with you, the exercise you posted looks dangerous. I disagree with the OP, that the one posted in post #4 is dangerous.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am doing the exercise in the first video in the thread (post #4), which was determined to be the "dangerous" one by the OP.

I am not doing the exercise in the article you linked, which was determined dangerous by the expert making the video.

I agree with you, the exercise you posted looks dangerous. I disagree with the OP, that the one posted in post #4 is dangerous.
your stretching the knees laterally, it's not a good idea, you will end up with more flexible and therefore weaker knees, if that actually makes and differance and at what age is another matter. your 25 , nothing made any dent in me at that age, 35 years later I regret quite a few things I did as benifical in my 20s, but not that, I was never that silly.

your refusing to be I formed, theres not a lot of pint keep saying the samething to youa. just follow your master

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your stretching the knees laterally, it's not a good idea, you will end up with more flexible and therefore weaker knees, if that actually makes and differance and at what age is another matter. your 25 , nothing made any dent in me at that age, 35 years later I regret quite a few things I did as benifical in my 20s, but not that, I was never that silly

I don't believe that's doing much to stretch the knees laterally. The hands on the knees provide stability, the motion is small, and the lateral motion isn't driven by the knees.