Knee cartilage - what's my outlook?

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by Orion Nebula, Nov 15, 2019.

1. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Knee, shoulder and hip replacements work quite well. The artificial surfaces are Teflon. Like everything, they wear out because the body has no way of healing the artificial surfaces.

The replacement parts aren’t the problem; the recovery from surgery is long and not fun.

I’ve heard they’re working on 3D printed hip, knee and shoulder replacement parts. That’ll revolutionize the surgery because it’s allegedly minimally invasive. The current surgeries are quite traumatic. I’ve sat in on a few. Picture sawzalls, drills and brass hammers. Seriously. They have to wear face shields and nurses have to wipe them off from all the “sawdust” aka bone fragments flying around.

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    There are reasons why the archetype orthopedist looks like a linebacker. Ortho surgery is... brutal...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

A lot of them played sports before med school as well.

After sitting in on my first surgery, the ortho asked me what I thought. I jokingly told him I lost some respect for ortho surgeons because it reminded me more of what my father does (mechanic) than what I thought surgeons do. He laughed and said “I’m pretty much a carpenter, not a mechanic.” That was pretty accurate.

4. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I am scheduled for knee replacements in soon. The recent comments have me wondering.

5. Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula Green Belt

Ah, so that's what the spray was in a few videos. Honestly, taking just the tape off by itself is exceptionally painful if I rip it off. I found a really sticky brand on Amazon that will stay for a few days if I get it on right. I can only imagine it with the spray adhesive.

I tried taping again last night, but used a longer piece. It definitely worked a lot better, and my knees were very happy with me. It also occured to me that I've been slacking off on my quad and IT band rolling. I spent a good hour on Tuesday with a rolling pin working out all the tight spots... it continues to amaze me how massaging those areas can relieve a lot of pain and stiffness in my knees.

My mom had both her knees replaced several years ago and recently her hip as well. The incisions for the knees were about what I would expect, but I was really surprised by the how small the incision for the hip was. It can't be much more than 3 inches, and they managed to use that tiny hole to cut off the end of the femur, hammer in a new ball, and line the socket.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

You won’t see any of that stuff. You’ll be out :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Hopefully stem cell research will fix this. If things in the medical field advance like the computer field then many of us will see it in our life time as the norm. Repairing with something that can repair itself and maintain itself is definitely a better option than removing it and placing artificial parts.
    Novel stem cell therapy for repair of knee cartilage - Mayo Clinic

The same is being done with hip replacement. While it's still new, it seems like a option with potential especially as stem cell research is improving.
    Stem Cells Get Hip

8. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I suppose not but I am scared as hell that I will feel it.:(
    Seriously though, I am more concerned with the rehab than the actual surgery.

9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    Coworker going through that right now. Not going to sugar coat it, lots of swelling and pain afterwards, but he had medication to deal with the pain. He thought he'd be back to work in a week, I doubted that, I had arthroscopic surgery and came back in a week and I now know I should have taken two. He is looking at 3 weeks, at least, until the Doc says he can return, and that all depends on the Physical Therapist reports. However he is rather happy he had it done, no more constant knee pain, like he had prior to surgery.

A good friend of mine, who was a pro-soccer player, had both knees done a few years back and he is absolutely thrilled he did it. He can walk normal, which he could not do before. He is able to sleep, which he could not do before due to knee pain.

And neither of them felt the surgery at all.

When I had the arthroscopic surgery, when I came to in the recovery room, I asked them when were they going to start. I was told; "Its already done". So I felt absolutely nothing.

• Like Like x 1