Kicks of SL4

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
camilyon said:
What kicks are in the SL4 curriculum?

Nothing unusual. In fact, we rarely practice anything but kicking set 1. Front kicks, roundhouse, step through and drag-up. We do use, but not as frequently, scoop kicks, guaging kicks, side kicks, and reverse heel kicks. Oh, I think I saw someone do a spinning heal kick once, but I think that was on a night Doc wasn't there yet.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bode said:
Oh, I think I saw someone do a spinning heal kick once, but I think that was on a night Doc wasn't there yet.

Oops now you've let the cat out of the bag. Let me know if the Doc gets mad at someone :)

Amrik

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenposikh said:
Oops now you've let the cat out of the bag. Let me know if the Doc gets mad at someone :)

Amrik
Anatomically correct, a 'spinning heel thrust' is part of the curriculum.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to bump this thread up!:ultracool

I think it would be interesting to discuss the difference in application of the kicks in SL4 compared to other methods of Kenpo.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wanted to bump this thread up!:ultracool

I think it would be interesting to discuss the difference in application of the kicks in SL4 compared to other methods of Kenpo.

Kicks are just like all your other natural weapons, and are utilized to manipulate, set up, and incapacitate by striking specific points of the body.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicks are just like all your other natural weapons, and are utilized to manipulate, set up, and incapacitate by striking specific points of the body.

Agreed. I was speaking more along the lines of method of application. Is the way they're thrown different? Do you use a method that is more anatomically correct? :)

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One interesting thing I picked up in Doc's class was the timing of the end of the kick with the next blow.

Sword of Destruction -kick then downward strike. Use the momentum generated by stepping down after the kick to add power to the downward strike.

Now in my Shaolin Kempo techniques that principle is easy to apply. Took some timing adjustments in some spots, but it's really nice now. I'm teaching my daughter to do it from the start, so she is finding it natural to do so (unlike me, who had to re-learn).

I already knew most of the kicks I was shown at MSU, but now I know the best methods of execution (chamber, path of travel etc). And if you've REALLY studied your basics in great detail, so do you, really.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. Is the way they're thrown different? Do you use a method that is more anatomically correct? :)

Mike

There are anatomically correct Index Points the appendages must travel through enroute to execution, for every kick. This is the "basics" of execution that begins the process of training the body and aligning it optimally. They by necessity include the entire body posture from the ground up. These Index Points properly chamber and align the relationship between the legs and the body.

Latest Discussions