[yt]6CVu-AzMnDY[/yt]

Pain inoculation.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw this on Sunday. I liked the Balisong knife action in the film however, main character does not perform Kali.

The audience, in general got into the film's dark humor and graphic violence but were shocked a couple of times by what was shown on the screen.

This film definitely was on the top line of the "R" rating scale.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed on all accounts.

I honestly thought that I'd be bothered by Hit Girl's swearing and such, but the conflict played well.

It's a violent, dark comedy with some intentionally flawed heroes. Big Daddy is a sociopath who has brainwashed his only daughter into become a killer without qualm, coupling an 11 year old black/white vision of the world with the ability to kill like something out of the matrix. The main character is a disaffected teenager essentially blurring the lines between MMORPGs, LARPing and the real world. I won't mention the other main characters to avoid any spoilers.

The main thing that makes this movie so good (in my opinion) is that the characters are extremely flawed, but manage to make things work and remain happy and optimistic and don't break under the pressure.

Interesting movie on a lot of levels. Unique, strange, quirky characters. Some truly funny moments. Some insightful social commentary. Some really kick-*** action sequences, largely featuring Hit-Girl. And what ends up being a largely positive message in the end.

I really liked it and would give it a strong 4 out of 5 stars.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw this on Sunday. I liked the Balisong knife action in the film however, main character does not perform Kali.
The audience, in general got into the film's dark humor and graphic violence but were shocked a couple of times by what was shown on the screen.
This film definitely was on the top line of the "R" rating scale.

No he doesn't know kali. The whole point of the book was showing people doing this stuff because they think it's cool and want attention. He could have easily been dressed as a ninja wielding swords from QVC.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah about a 4 outta 5 is right.
I found it funny that the level of graphic violence was huge, but then god forbid, when the main character was putting the paint tan of the girl who would become his Gf, she covered her breasts. Soooo we can see I guy get blown up in a mircowave...but we can't see nipples.... gotcha...we wouldn't wnat to be corrupted or anything.... :)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My second favorite film this year so far...but I definitely would NOT let my kids watch it!! At least, until they're 18 :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My second favorite film this year so far...but I definitely would NOT let my kids watch it!! At least, until they're 18 :)
They probably will... at a friend's house. You can do the best you can but they'll always find a way... didn't you? :uhyeah:

A good comedy is hard to find now-a-days... a GREAT comedy is rarer. I hope it'll be worth the ticket price to go see it. A lot of movies out lately haven't enticed me to want to spend the cash... but then again I'm a cheap bastard to begin with.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved the movie, for several different reasons.

My children won't be watching it until they are around 18 or so.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah about a 4 outta 5 is right.
I found it funny that the level of graphic violence was huge, but then god forbid, when the main character was putting the paint tan of the girl who would become his Gf, she covered her breasts. Soooo we can see I guy get blown up in a mircowave...but we can't see nipples.... gotcha...we wouldn't wnat to be corrupted or anything.... :)
Isn't the character in high school? I think that's the issue more than the nudity itself. Nudity in an R rating isn't a problem, underage nudity is.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Isn't the character in high school? I think that's the issue more than the nudity itself. Nudity in an R rating isn't a problem, underage nudity is.

Pheobe Cates was "in high school" in Fast Times, and I'll NEVER forget that nudity! :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pheobe Cates was "in high school" in Fast Times, and I'll NEVER forget that nudity! :)
Yeah, that was a seminal moment for lots of guys...
You gotta love the classics.
There is, I kid you not, a Marmaduke movie due out this summer. WTF? Are there NO original thoughts in LA anymore?

Last edited:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The actress is 23....damn it, I feel short changed!! I want to see nipples!!!! :)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a seminal moment for lots of guys...

As a wordsmith by trade and by passion, I couldn't help but to publicly express my appreciation for this PERFECT word choice (bolded by me) :)

Well done! :salute:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a wordsmith by trade and by passion, I couldn't help but to publicly express my appreciation for this PERFECT word choice (bolded by me) :)

Well done! :salute:
I knew someone would like that. I almost, intentionally misspelled it, too...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw the movie tonight... left feeling conflicted.

1. The movie is very entertaining in it's concept and execution. Parts were actually funny and while UBER-VIOLENT it's still fun and engaging.

2. The use of children & teens to execute the violence (particularly Hit Girl) and the use of violence AGAINST the children was too much IMO. The father actually shooting his daughter while she's wearing a vest and encouraging her by buying weaponry for birthday presents and teaching her how to kill without compunction was IMO inappropriate and just too much. Also the use of language by the teens and children was over much. Not to mention an 11 yr. old driving a high powered sports car.

What is the message they're sending out? If they're disillusioned enough to think that children of the film's age bracket WON'T see the film at all then they're blind and stupid. Kids can download the pirated copies of the film and watch them on their own personal computers. When it comes out on DVD they'll watch it at home with or without their parent's permission... or even knowledge.

Like I said I like the concept... ordinary people assuming the role of super-crime-fighting heroes and by and large getting their asses kicked most of the time is funny.
The concept that teens and children are the heroes and resorting to extreme violence is not funny nor "cool" IMO.

The fight scenes were nicely done I have to say. Nicolas Cage as the grief stricken revenged filled disgraced police officer putting on a quasi-batman outfit and wiping out the man responsible was pretty good... teaching his underage pre-teen daughter to have a desire and wherewithal to do so was not.

If this was a tale that intended to give a moral value to the idea of adopting the persona of a superhero is not such a great idea, then it should've been directed at an older and more mature audience. Being rated R now-a-days doesn't prevent the idea kids WON'T watch the movie... it literally guarantees that they WILL.

Irony of it all that I found myself thinking that I'll end-up getting the DVD.
What the hell is wrong with me?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The movie is rated 18A up here, so no kids should be seeing it.
Its not an academy award winner, but I don't think it was meant to be.
Some movies are meant to just entertain, and it did.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw the movie tonight... left feeling conflicted.

1. The movie is very entertaining in it's concept and execution. Parts were actually funny and while UBER-VIOLENT it's still fun and engaging.

2. The use of children & teens to execute the violence (particularly Hit Girl) and the use of violence AGAINST the children was too much IMO. The father actually shooting his daughter while she's wearing a vest and encouraging her by buying weaponry for birthday presents and teaching her how to kill without compunction was IMO inappropriate and just too much. Also the use of language by the teens and children was over much. Not to mention an 11 yr. old driving a high powered sports car.

What is the message they're sending out? If they're disillusioned enough to think that children of the film's age bracket WON'T see the film at all then they're blind and stupid. Kids can download the pirated copies of the film and watch them on their own personal computers. When it comes out on DVD they'll watch it at home with or without their parent's permission... or even knowledge.

Like I said I like the concept... ordinary people assuming the role of super-crime-fighting heroes and by and large getting their asses kicked most of the time is funny.
The concept that teens and children are the heroes and resorting to extreme violence is not funny nor "cool" IMO.

The fight scenes were nicely done I have to say. Nicolas Cage as the grief stricken revenged filled disgraced police officer putting on a quasi-batman outfit and wiping out the man responsible was pretty good... teaching his underage pre-teen daughter to have a desire and wherewithal to do so was not.

If this was a tale that intended to give a moral value to the idea of adopting the persona of a superhero is not such a great idea, then it should've been directed at an older and more mature audience. Being rated R now-a-days doesn't prevent the idea kids WON'T watch the movie... it literally guarantees that they WILL.

Irony of it all that I found myself thinking that I'll end-up getting the DVD.
What the hell is wrong with me?

I can't speak for the film makers but the comic is about the extreme personalities that would be drawn to this type of behavior. The attention seekers, the nut-jobs, and yes, the few who actually want to make a difference.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its not an academy award winner, but I don't think it was meant to be.

My brothers and I agreed after seeing it though: it SHOULD be an academy award winner.

Superior in so many ways than a movie like "Avatar" (which I also enjoyed, btw)