Ki " Inner Engergy "?

I

IFKQ80

I don't understand many things about Ki " inner energy " all I know is that it's located in the Tandan and it makes you stronger in different way's !! But I'm sure there is more into it, I hope someone can explain it to me?

I even hear people say something like you can knockout someone with your Ki without touching him/her " hmm Strange ", I saw some video clip's of Ushiba " the founder of Aikido" doing some strange things to his student's with out even touching them is that true " with respect to him of course " ?

Need more information if anyone can help I would be more then happy?

http://p.creantor.online.fr/Aikido/OSENSE-N.MPEG

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ki,chi,qi,aiki, etc is one of the most disputed topics in the martial arts. Many artists will swear by it and some will get angry at just the mention of it. People describe it as many different things including the internal energy that keeps your body in check (yin/yang) and others will say that it is your force (you step towards someone and they redirect your force by leading you in a direction that disables your attack. Others will say that it is a magical force similiar to that in star wars.

I am a student of daito ryu aikijujutsu (the art that ueshiba was before he founded aikido) and when we refer to ki we are talking about redirecting the power or strength of the opponent and using it against them. Also i have only been a student of daitoryu since last fall so i am by no means an expert. I have much to learn about aiki as well as the art as a whole.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SpatulaHunter, I'm a student of Nihon Goshin Aikido (also derived from daito-ryu aikijujutsu but not an Ueshiba off shoot) and that's more or less the take we have on ki as well. To add to your answer I'll say that to us ki is having all things aligned with in a technique so that maximum power/energy can be "dropped" into the technique at the proper time. It is also redirecting ukes energy in the direction that you want it to go. Stay centralized, become the center of the forces in a technique and you are utelizing ki.

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
SpatulaHunter, I'm a student of Nihon Goshin Aikido (also derived from daito-ryu aikijujutsu but not an Ueshiba off shoot) and that's more or less the take we have on ki as well. To add to your answer I'll say that to us ki is having all things aligned with in a technique so that maximum power/energy can be "dropped" into the technique at the proper time. It is also redirecting ukes energy in the direction that you want it to go. Stay centralized, become the center of the forces in a technique and you are utelizing ki.

Nicely put letch, those things would also fit in our definition as well, its one of those things that is really hard to describe but once you understand it is easy to identify

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been studing American Kenpo for 14 years and I am now doing some self studi into chi. Do any of you have a web site books or drills I can practice to learn more? One more question I realize that there isn't a chi art however what do in your experiences talk about chi the most?

Respectfully
Rick

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with qigong, but it's impossible to knock someone out with your qi. Anyone who claims the ability to knock someone out barehanded without touching them is feeding you straight BS.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hedgehogey - I'd like for you to meet my teacher...hehehehehe.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does he claim he can knock people out without touching them?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hedgehogey - I'd like for you to meet my teacher...hehehehehe.

Does your teacher allege that he can KO someone without making physical contact (and I'm not talking about my infantry buddies' smart aleck comment about how they won't touch you, but their 5.56mm round will)?

If so, since we are in the same neck of the woods, I'd love to see how that works... I don't believe it can be done, but I'm always willing to let someone try.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never heard him claim to have the ability to knock someone out with his ki energy.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I have never heard him claim to have the ability to knock someone out with his ki energy.

Then why did you want Hedgehogey to meet your teacher? It seemed that, by the flow of the thread, that his meeting your teacher would change his mind about his opinions somehow...

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My teacher has great abilities with Ki and I know some of the things he can do - and they're quite incredible. I have met people who have such strong energy about them that I feel nauseated. Once I figured it out, I now can block a lot of that kind of energy.

I think once a person witnesses the abilities one can achieve with ki, they will truly never forget it.

OP
M

muaythaifreak

I think if you believe someone has the power to make you nauseous, they will make you nauseous. If you believe they can knock you out without touching you, they can knock you out without touching you. It's in YOUR mind, not theirs. IMHO

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
So what exactly does your teacher claim to be able to DO, shesulsa?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
muaythaifreak said:
I think if you believe someone has the power to make you nauseous, they will make you nauseous. If you believe they can knock you out without touching you, they can knock you out without touching you. It's in YOUR mind, not theirs. IMHO

There is a prominent exponent of such qigong spawned abilities that put on a seminar hosted by a former member of our organization. There were people from all three sides of the fence - those who believed, those who weren't sure one way or another, and those who didn't believe.

During the seminar, some of our seniors (who didn't believe the claims of the instructor) observed that those who believed experienced amazing effects. Those who didn't believe one way or another had mixed results. Those who didn't believe at all experienced nothing more than a person gesturing toward them.

I am always reminded of the Shakespeare quote "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." I try to keep this in mind and turn an objective eye to claims of the supernatural... Sometimes its crap, sometimes it is a little harder to explain...

OP
S

Scout_379

I also don't know much about ki, only what I have heard. But it does make you stronger and more focused, if you can feel it and sense it. Ki, or Chi, is supposedly present in all things, living and non-living. In people, it is (usually) centered in the tanden, but it flows throughout our bodies like a metaphysical circulatory system. You are supposed to be able to develop and strengthen your ki and awareness of ki through meditation and breathing excercises. Practice in the MA's also help to develop this sense, especially through tai-chi and aikido. This is from a Karate point of view, but Aikido is a large part of my particular styles curriculum.

I beleive that it is possible to perform many feats through the proper manipulation of ki, but it takes very much time and effort. I'm talking about long days of meditaion and practice over many years!! And to be able to knock out or kill a person through the use of ki alone would take a lifetime, but nobody has that kind of time anymore. Those who do practice such disciplines are becoming fewer and their knowledge lost. But I wonder, why would the masters of old have devoted their lives to this concept if they had at not least made some progress.

I'm sure the founder of Aikido had developed his ki to the point where he could throw a person with the flick of his wrist. But he did touch them, feel out their ki, find where it was weakest, and threw accordingly.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Throw a person with a flick of the wrist?! I try to keep an open mind, but that's just ridiculous.

OP
M

muaythaifreak

hedgehogey said:
Throw a person with a flick of the wrist?! I try to keep an open mind, but that's just ridiculous.
I agree 100%.

OP
S

Scout_379

Come on u guys! Beleive me! I've seen a man do it! A very advanced Karate/Aikido Sensei, dodged the punch, pushed the puncher's hand (flick of wrist!), and sent him at least 2 meters.

And there have been several documented cases of many, many other people performing other such feats (eg. video of boards breaking b4 actual contact, or old men single handedly disposing of multiple attackers). In fact, there have even been many scientific reports on activities performed by monks through the manipulation of ki. Take this for example:
A group of monks entered a freezing pool, any normal person would have frozen and suffered hypothermia in a matter of minutes, but in their case, steam was reported to have been given off the surrounding water. Through deep meditation excercises they were able to raise their body tempurature to cope. Read from Ripleys of all places lol.

You are entitled to your opinion. But you cannot deny hard evidence and put down others just because you believe the idea is preposterous.

Latest Discussions