keywords of all mantises

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i wanted to talk about the mantis keywords that are passed by Wang Lang to us. I wanted to discuss the word "Nien" or "to stick".
But i guess a more thread would be asking you to list the keywords, pick one, and say what you think it is, how it's used, why it's important.

I'll start by "nien" or "to stick". In mantis once you perform a "tien" or (making contact) you need to stick to the opponent to sense the flow of energy. You need to stick so you "listen" to your opponent and sense what they're thinking, and what they're doing. the purpose is to be there and deflect attacks when they are executed by them.
From my experience i found out if i am "touching hands" with someone for 10 minutes, it's okay to be "listening" and "following" what they do for more than 9 minutes, and only execute attacks when i have a good opportunity.

more ideas?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will list our keywords when I have more time, but speaking of "sticking"....
You want to be "listening" 100% of the time, even when your performing your attacks. In the mantis system we are driven by principles not techniques, so you use your "feel" when "sticking" to move into the techniques or attacks. Your very correct about attacking only when you have a good opportunity but I think our goal is to "listen" so well and so completely that we find many many good opportunities. However, dont ignore "feel" and "sticking" even in the midst of your attack, we should (key word is "should" its hard to do) be able to completely change the attack or technique right in the middle if we "feel" their force or energy change.

This is a great thread, I'll post more this afternoon when I get home, it is World Tai Chi Day today you know.

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not have a compiled list of the keywords, but try to remember whenever my sihings talk about them...
however, i managed to find this online...
i hope it's correct

1. ZHAN - ( CONTACTING ) MEETING OPPONENTS FORCE
2. NIAN - ( STICKING ) MOVING WITH OPPONENTS MOVEMENTS
3. BANG - ( LINKING ) KENTIC ENERGY
4. TIE - ( PRESSING ) WARDING OFF OPPONENTS FORCE
5. LAI - ( INTRUDING ) MOVING INTO OPPONENTS SPACE
6. JIAO - ( PROVOKING ) SETTING UP OPPONENT
7. SHUN - ( MOVING ALONG ) SLIDING WITH OPPONENTS FORCE
8. SONG - ( SENDING ) PUSHING OFF OPPONENT
9. TI - ( LIFTING ) LIFTING OPPONENTS LIMBS OR TORSO
10. NA - ( GRABBING ) GRABBING OPPONENTS LIMBS
11. FENG - ( BLOCKING ) BLOCKING OPPONENTS STRIKES
12. BI - (LOCKING ) LOCKING OPPONENTS LIMBS

for those who know mantis pick one and comment on it. for those who do not know mantis why dont you ask questions about it (this way we force 7starmantis to explain the 12 keywords haha)

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
alright ..
this is 7 star mantis list of keywords (this is a reminder to 7starmantis to get going on this haha)

1.) Ou - Hooking
2.) Lou - Grabbing
3.) Tsai Choi - Plucking and Striking
4.) Kwa - Hanging block and strike
5.) Diu - Hook (Interception)
6.) Jun - Forward moving or advance
7.) Bung - Crushing Downwards
8.) Da - Hitting or Dodging and Bouncing
9.) Jim - Contact (To make contact)
10.) Lim - Clinging or sticking
11.) Tib - Tag or tagging
12.) Kao - Leaning

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, lets see....
I think first we must remember that this list is a list of methods of attacking and defending. These are taught by showing techniques but these are not just techniques. I think its importnat to realize that when discussing them. Many people dont understand that fully, you can ask them to show you "ou" and they say, ok throw a punch, they perform ou lou choi and say thats it. However it is not simply a technique, ou lou choi is a technique that contains the method of "ou".

If you really want to explore these keywords you might look into Sigung Raymond Fogg's first book, "Twelve Keywords of Attack and Defense" where he explores them and also goes step by step through bombo (Bung Bo).

I wish I had pictures like he does in his book for showing these, but "ou" or hooking has many purposes. He states in his book that first and foremost it is for drawing the opponent into a dangerous zone. He talks about how hooking can be done with our without the mantis hand (dil sau). It can even be done with the dil sau inverted (finger pointing upwards) or with a grab. Also, it can be done from inside or outside gate. Many times in the more advanced levels it is done while also putting pressure on sensitive areas of the body, especially arms or legs. There are many drills to teach hooking, most begin with the dil sau. You stand facing a partner, they throw a punch and you hook, say with your right hand in a clockwise circle outward. Then from that area (still in contact) you throw a punch with that same hand and your partner does the drill. This goes back and forth and can get very fast.

7sm

Latest Discussions