Kenshindoryu Traditional Judo

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I ran into the term in a book description as follows: ""KDR Combat Judo is a syllabus sub-set of Kenshindoryu Traditional Judo.....""

The term Kenshindoryu is new to me. Can anyone here enlighten me?
Thank you

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I ran into the term in a book description as follows: ""KDR Combat Judo is a syllabus sub-set of Kenshindoryu Traditional Judo.....""

The term Kenshindoryu is new to me. Can anyone here enlighten me?
Thank you
I've seen the book as well. Little digging says the Kenshindoryu term is Shihan Jim Dart's own term for the martial arts he teaches Sensei Jim Dart - Chief Instructor Kenshindoryu Nippon Budo Kyokai Is it traditional, as in TMA? No. Is it effective? Don't know.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is one of those schools that are heavy on demonstration but light or no randori or shiai. Heavy on judo tradition in terms of what's shown, with some old school jujutsu striking, but all form/kata based. The "we use form, not strength" people which is great in theory but not in reality.

In other words, a judo format with little to no sparring or contact, more like traditional jujutsu, but still based on Kodokan judo.

When it comes to these specific arts (anything comparing itself to judo, BJJ etc), competition video is the litmus test. But all I can find are videos of slow compliant demos similar to JJJ and Aikido.

So if Judo was more like Aikido, it might be Kenshindoryu (and let's face it Kenshin-do Ryu sounds a little mashed up upon translation).

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think this is one of those schools that are heavy on demonstration but light or no randori or shiai. Heavy on judo tradition in terms of what's shown, with some old school jujutsu striking, but all form/kata based. The "we use form, not strength" people which is great in theory but not in reality.

In other words, a judo format with little to no sparring or contact, more like traditional jujutsu, but still based on Kodokan judo.

When it comes to these specific arts (anything comparing itself to judo, BJJ etc), competition video is the litmus test. But all I can find are videos of slow compliant demos similar to JJJ and Aikido.

So if Judo was more like Aikido, it might be Kenshindoryu (and let's face it Kenshin-do Ryu sounds a little mashed up upon translation).
This " style" of judo evolved from Zen Judo, which favors perfection of techniques over competition, so none of the techniques are actually tested. You may teach the technical aspects of a throw exactly the same as it is taught in a Kodokan judo club, but as the Kodokan student will practice with resistance in randori at the club or in competition, the Kodokan student will be better.

Latest Discussions