Kensei or "Sword Saint"s

Captain Harlock

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kensei or "Sword Saint"s 剣聖

In the Japan which valued swordsmanship, one of truly exceptional skill was oft honored with the title of "Kensei" or "Sword Saint". This implied not only a high degree of skill in the sword art, but also one of a high degree in moral perfection as well. Many were the founders of popular schools of swordsmanship. This title was very rare.

Notable kensei were Miyamoto Musashi, Tsukahara Bokuden, Ito Ittosai Kagehisa , Yagyu Hyogonosuke, Higaonna Kanryō, Chojun Miyagi

Kensei is not to be confused with Kenshi 剣士 or "swordsman", from which the anime character "Kenshin" takes his name.

When training in the sword, one should seek to achieve such perfection.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Notable kensei were Miyamoto Musashi

I think he's the only one to whom this term is regularly applied. I'm sure some apply it to other historical swordsmen.

Chojun Miyagi
No. He was an Okinawan karateka who founded Goju-Ryu, one of the major styles of Karate. Since ken can also mean "fist" (as in kenpo,"fist law", or as in ikken, "one fist" i.e. one-punch-one-kill), the term kensei can also be interpreted as being about the fist. See here for the use of kensei in this context. I don't know that groups other than Kensei Ryu use kensei for karateka.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've only heard of Miyamoto Musashi being reffered to as a sword saint.

David

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Miyamoto Musashi was also known as the "sword demon", during that time period.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miyamoto Musashi was also known as the "sword demon", during that time period.
Really? By whom? Do you have a reference for this? I am very interested as I've never heard that one before.

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
accualy by christain missionaries, i will have to look it up again. it was said that he killed over a hundred christians for coming in by force trying to convert the japanese. when i find where it was said i will post it in a new thread.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
when i find where it was said i will post it in a new thread.
Thanks! I would appreciate that as I've not heard of it before.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was in one of those idiot novels...
Ah, thanks Scott. I thought that would probably be the case, but I am always interested in finding new sources of information. :)

Latest Discussions