Kenpo Wisdom

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm opening this in the hopes of gleaning more wisdom straight from Kenpo (preferably), but all martial-arts sayings and rules are welcome!

The idea is that you post a few sayings from Kenpo or MA in general, so that we have a solid list of them to refer to. Here are a few I know:

Anger clouds the mind.

Deflect a line with a circle, cut a circle with a line.

There should be no second strike.

Waste no movement.

Closest target, closest weapon.

The rule of +1: If there is one punch, there will be two. If there are two punches, there will be three. Always be aware of a supportive attack to each primary attack.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. I have a book I'm collecting them in, but it's currently not with me. Who else can toss some in the mix?

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's one that I've been working on:

Don't shorten some elses rope to make yours appear longer.

Z

ZKenpo

Here is a few I like....

To hear is to doubt, to see is to be decieved, but to feel is to believe.

The best action, meet it. or Meet it to beat it before you eat it!

The law of the street, it's not who's right it's who's left.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
RavenDarkfellow said:
Greetings,

I'm opening this in the hopes of gleaning more wisdom straight from Kenpo (preferably), but all martial-arts sayings and rules are welcome!

The idea is that you post a few sayings from Kenpo or MA in general, so that we have a solid list of them to refer to. Here are a few I know:

Anger clouds the mind.

Deflect a line with a circle, cut a circle with a line.

There should be no second strike.

Waste no movement.

Closest target, closest weapon.

The rule of +1: If there is one punch, there will be two. If there are two punches, there will be three. Always be aware of a supportive attack to each primary attack.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. I have a book I'm collecting them in, but it's currently not with me. Who else can toss some in the mix?
Always double tap.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Compassion from a position of strenght"

Todd

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Circles: there are three things you can do to a circle: reverse the circle, stay on the circle, or cut the circle in half."

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
heres on for balance - "if you try to keep your balance, you will lose your balance"

distalero

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A stitch in time...........................will close that artery. :)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"To desire something does not mean to accomplish it. To perspire for it makes accomplishment a reality."

(written by the same guy whose quote appears in my signature :D ) If you want more Kenpo quotes, I would recommend buying Mr. Parker's book The Zen of Kenpo; good stuff.

Z

ZKenpo

Gin-Gin said:
"To desire something does not mean to accomplish it. To perspire for it makes accomplishment a reality."

(written by the same guy whose quote appears in my signature :D ) If you want more Kenpo quotes, I would recommend buying Mr. Parker's book The Zen of Kenpo; good stuff.
Thats right, The only place Succes comes before Work is in the dictionary!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't allow dreams to blind your good sense, but never allow good sense to stifle your dreams.

OP
R

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
These are great! Keep 'em comin'! I remembered some more:

Contour - Each attack of your enemy is really just an opportunity to follow their weapon back to your target.

Treat your arms like swords, your hands like knives.

Power comes from the ground up.

Reduce your enemies' numbers. (The Art of War - Sun Tzu)

Z

ZKenpo

Oh just remembered, " I'm goint to be like lightning, I'll manifest then disappear!"

Quote from Josh "The General" Lannon

OP
R

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
RMCRobertson>> Nice. . . Very nice. I caught the hint, but that doesn't mean wisdom is useless, you know. One can practice and collect wisdom simultaneously. ;)

Latest Discussions